May 02, 2024, 08:30:48 AM

Author Topic: Another upkeep question  (Read 5350 times)

Dmon3k

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Another upkeep question
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
I was playing someone today and ran into a question, I took their word for it during the game, but for my own knowledge wanted to see what the ruling would be in this situation.

I was playing a forcemaster and had several of my oppnent's creatures either charmed or in force holds. There was a Mordor's Obelisk on the field giving all non mage creatures upkeep plus 1.

At the start of the the round I paid my upkeeps to keep my charms/force holds on, my opponent then decided to not pay the upkeep so all his creatures were destroyed.

I thought it was a pretty slick move because I wasted the mana and couldn't get it back, but now I'm left wondering because I can't pay upkeep if there is no creature so should I have waited to see if he paid upkeep on the creature first, should it have been determined by who has initiative since it is a timing issue, or was he right and I'm just stuck dealing with that strategy going forward?

Any clarification would be helpful.

lettucemode

Re: Another upkeep question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
Both upkeep effects happen at the same time, so whoever had initiative would decide. If you had initiative, you could have told him that he must pay/not pay upkeep on his creatures first. If he had initiative then he could/would do what he did.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
Good to know, I honestly don't remember which one of us had initiative.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
Both upkeep effects happen at the same time, so whoever had initiative would decide. If you had initiative, you could have told him that he must pay/not pay upkeep on his creatures first. If he had initiative then he could/would do what he did.

Lettuce is correct. Both cards affect the same object at the same time so it wouldfall to initiative
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage