May 22, 2024, 12:58:18 PM

Author Topic: Shooty Warlord  (Read 3599 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Shooty Warlord
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:56:41 AM »
May try out this book next week that uses tons of ranged attacks

Anvil Throne Warlord

Attack
Acid Ball
2 Hurl Boulder
2 Hurl Rock

Conjuration
Altar of Carnage
Barracks
3 Garrison Post
2 Mangler Caltrops
2 Quicksand
4 Wall of Pikes

Creature
4 Anvil Throne Crossbowman
4 Goblin Slinger
Grison Deadeye Sniper
Ludwig Boltstorm

Enchantment
Brace Yourself
Harmonize
3 Hawkeye
Maim Wings
2 Spiked Pit

Equipment
Eagleclaw Boots
General's Signet Ring
Harshforge Plate
2 Ivarium Longbow
Leather Gloves
Regrowth Belt
Wand of Healing

Incantation
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
4 Force Push
4 Force Wave
Group Heal
Sniper Shot
Teleport

The Opening is: Turn 1: (19) -12 Barracks -4 Harmonize, Move Forward=3
Turn 2: (12 +2): -3 Generals Ring Move Right -4 Garrison Post (within 2 zones of the enemy) =5
Turn 3: (14 +4): -2  Deploy Goblin Slinger, -9 Extended Wall of Pikes in front of Post =3
Turn 4: (12+2): -4 Deploy Goblin Slinger -8 Altar of Carnage

Start shooting and generating mana from the Altar of Carnage and build up a corps of archers with 2 range in the same zone. Use walls pits quicksand caltrops and force pushes to control enemy movement. Use force waves to push your entire crew around and still be able to shoot. The altar should rack up tons of mana for you to hopefully keep deploying archers every turn. Give them the +2 piercing command and fire away!

Cloak of Shadows is a huge problem and will have to be dissolved. This will require the warlord moving in front of the walls for a turn and teleporting back probably.

Would love to hear your thought and advice. Thanks!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Shooty Warlord
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
Nice build man. I was wondering why you decided to go Anvil over Bloodwave. +1 ranged vs +2 piercing for a command spell are both really good.  I love the idea of using forcewave to move your whole unit into firing range.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
I went Anvil Throne because his skills are better for this book. I thought having the +1 damage rune on a bow would be good. I don't ever want to be in melee so battle skill isn't of much use to me. Tough -2 will help a lot to avoid conditions from my opponents ranged attacks. As far as the orders go I feel like Ranged +1 vs. Pierce +2 are roughly equivalent.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:03:02 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. Have you thought about running Goblin Alchemist? His abilities to corrode or burn are very useful for giving you diversity. It doesn't do as much damage but the direct damage is another avenue against high armored opponents. The range 1 may be the biggest problem that I see with him. It could also be your hinder creature that rots the opponents at the same time.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:16:07 AM »
Yeah Goblin Alchemists are quality and definitely could go in a variant of the book. I feel like the 2 range is pretty key though to making sure the enemy mage can't hide from your archers while also keeping your guys behind your walls on your side of the arena. In fact I didn't realize Ludwig had only 1 range or I probably would have swapped him for more crossbowman or royal archer. I played a match against a skeleton necromancer with a tweaked version. It included Colossus Belt, which I forgot to list in the first post (should be removed since really you just want regrowth belt) and swapped a hurl rock and sniper shot for 2 more wall of pikes. Between replacing walls and pushing things around and laying down controlly conjurations I found my low channeling warlord never had mana for the more expensive equipment, not even a bow. Maybe the harshforge plate should be swapped for more brace yourself for this reason. Also I think you could swap the spiked pits for more caltrops as they accomplish more or less the same thing; doing a bit of damage and stopping an enemy in his tracks so he can be pushed away and shot again. This book really wants 6 force pushes and probably another garrison post (I only own 3). After I deployed 3 shooters the Necro hid behind a wall. That was OK. My archers just shot his creatures every turn instead and by the end I had every creature in my book on the board (altar of carnage is simply amazing!). Then there were just too any arrows flying and he had no chance.  It was a long game but fun.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
Dude congrats on your victory! It sounds like a really sweet game. I've been considering brace yourself as a major anti rush card lately. I think you could use it as a replacement for your harsh forge and be fine. Sounds like you really controlled the board. We'll done!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:32:37 AM »
Is there a reason you don´t have a single [mwcard=FWJ02]Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard] in your spellbook?

In the scenario you described, where someone tries to hide behind a wall it should be usefull.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
No Archers Watchtower because I really want to have a Garrison Post in my zone at all times if possible. Certainly one could be put in and be useful. Really though once you have a few archers walls can be shot down or just ignored in favor of creatures which gain you mana.