May 05, 2024, 09:20:18 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Academy Reveal: Meditating Monk  (Read 12280 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Academy Reveal: Meditating Monk
« on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:45 AM »
I am not Intangible nor Coshade, i am just a guy who stumble over this card on the internet :)

Wished Arcane Duels had this card for spoilering. There is so much about it!

1) Fist Mind creature in a very long time
2) New Subtype - MONK
3) Flavour text mentioned Sem Ki, which is also on [mwcard=DNQ10]Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]. I am more and more curious if Monks are under Bim-Shalla
4) "Mana Crystal" for Holy or Mind mages :)

Source of the card: http://fathergeek.com/mage-wars-academy-expansion-sneak-peek/
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Academy Reveal: Meditating Monk
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
On the forcemaster's ability card it says nonmind creatures cost triple. Since meditating monk is technically a mind creature as well as a holy creature, does that mean the holy part won't be triple? So it will cost her 3 points, rather than 4?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
There is OR on this card. So just 1 spielpoint needed if you are a FM :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »
Oh, you're right. Whoops. That certainly makes it less complicated.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »
I saw this and thought it was neat, but not sure that I would use it in Arena. It doesn't start producing mana until the turn after its summoned, it takes a full actin to summon, and is unique so you can't even stack a whole bunch of them together. I guess the only thing going for it is that's it's cheaper for a priestess or forcemaster on spellbook points than one mana crystal.

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
I really like it, aesthetically, though.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »
I saw this and thought it was neat, but not sure that I would use it in Arena. It doesn't start producing mana until the turn after its summoned, it takes a full actin to summon, and is unique so you can't even stack a whole bunch of them together. I guess the only thing going for it is that's it's cheaper for a priestess or forcemaster on spellbook points than one mana crystal.

one turn less is exactly why it costs 1 mana less than the crystal, and you can still use him for other things like a guard if needed

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
one turn less is exactly why it costs 1 mana less than the crystal, and you can still use him for other things like a guard if needed

Yes, that's true.  The flexibility of being able to choose whether you want another mana crystal or a minor creature each round is pretty nice.

gdieckhaus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
I think I'd definitely use this in Arena - it basically is a mana crystal... that can move/attack/get enchanted... and stack in the same space.  Also casting it gives 1 life to the priestess.
House
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:33:44 AM »
It also gives the Forcemaster a cheap action to stall with given her usual limited number of actions.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »
I think I'd definitely use this in Arena - it basically is a mana crystal... that can move/attack/get enchanted... and stack in the same space.  Also casting it gives 1 life to the priestess.
House

no incantation or enchantment so no lifegain

gdieckhaus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
You are correct.  No lifegain.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »

Why would it be one turn late? Sure you need to activate the monk before your mage, but it will still be same turn as a flower / crystal. Right?

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
Why would it be one turn late? Sure you need to activate the monk before your mage, but it will still be same turn as a flower / crystal. Right?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.  It would have to wait until the next turn to activate, while the Mana Flower gives you mana during Channeling, which is technically earlier that turn.  Edit:  This is relevant if you wanted to use your Deployment or First Quick Cast phase and needed that one mana, but otherwise it's effectively the same.

Come to think of it, it's actually probably pretty beneficial for a slow build Priestess to drop a flower and a monk in her starting zone, it nets the same channeling as two flowers, but is easier to defend since the monk isn't zone exclusive, plus he can defend himself and the flower if he has to.

Good job, Arcane Wonders.  Now that I think about it, it's a nice card.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:37:42 AM by Ophidimancer »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
Come to think of it, it's actually probably pretty beneficial for a slow build Priestess to drop a flower and a monk in her starting zone, it nets the same channeling as two flowers, but is easier to defend since the monk isn't zone exclusive, plus he can defend himself and the flower if he has to.
Very good point....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest