May 07, 2024, 04:56:43 AM

Author Topic: Sniper War (Bloodwave Warlord Book)  (Read 8883 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper War (Bloodwave Warlord Book)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
@Laddinfance: You know, this year we had a nerf on the wizard ability card, how about a boost on the warlords and Johktari next?  ::)
How about a boost for priest (not priestsss) and core warlord (not dwarf)?
All other mages have abilities that are maybe not top tier but useful. Some seem strange like Joktari ranged/fast support. But vet tokens and holy avenger are just weak andand never the good choice.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
@Laddinfance: You know, this year we had a nerf on the wizard ability card, how about a boost on the warlords and Johktari next?  ::)
How about a boost for priest (not priestsss) and core warlord (not dwarf)?
All other mages have abilities that are maybe not top tier but useful. Some seem strange like Joktari ranged/fast support. But vet tokens and holy avenger are just weak andand never the good choice.

If I could change the ability cards being a mage wars god:

"Minor" changes:
Priest +1 channeling. He would be able to differentiate himself of the Paladin. I like the priest, but, looking at the ability cards, I think paladin is simply better and has war training. I would keep the rest of his ability set the same.
Necro trained in Poison. (Necro doesn't need it, just for thematic reasons  8) )

Big changes:

Johktari her wounded prey should work on the mage (if he has no other living creatures?). The weird fast&range combo would be nice to swap, but is not worth to "errata".
Both Warlords: Able to cast their commands before or after their main action (+ same for Gurmash).
Bloodwave warlord: Veteran ability also gives ranged +1 and (also) triggers when a creature deals damage equal to his level +3.

Edit: I think all of these mages are decent and I don't dislike them at all! I just think it would be nice to improve them a little.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:13:01 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
Both Warlords: Able to cast their commands before or after their main action (+ same for Gurmash).

I would highly be in favour of that. Especially Gurmash is so lame that he loses his complete action for a battle order.

And those Battle Commands are not that powerful. They become more powerful with lots of soldiers in 1 zone, which is also a liability.

I'd say this only counts for Battle Orders - not for the Command spells Gurmash can also cast. It should be possible to give Battle Orders whenever a Quick Action phase happens, only that the Battle Orders do not consume the Quick Action. And Gurmash should also get these special Battle Order Quick Action capability (initial, before action, after action, final).

They'd have to be paid of course.

Something like: "Creatures that can cast Battle Orders can do this once per round as an additional free action during the initial and final Quick Cast phases and before or after their main action. For example: a Mage can cast Battle Orders before his main action, perform his main action and then end with a final Quick Cast action. Or he could perform both his Battle Orders and his Quick Cast action before his main action."

If this makes them a bit too powerful, you could always increase the mana cost to 2.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
I'm not talking about *an* Elemental. I'm talking about multiple Earth Elementals. The thing is not Epic, Unique or Legendary. 1 can be ignored. But 2? 3? 4?

4 Earth Elementals is weaker then 1 plus sensible support, and MUCH easier to beat. Donovan - you alone of everyone that's been playing for years with Earth Elementals see them as a problem, when everyone else sees them as weak. As has been said to you in many threads ignore the elemental, and yes, you can and should ignore multiple elementals even more so - you can kill the enemy mage easily before he casts his third, let alone worrying about 4 swinging at you...

You are struggling because of bad strategy, not because of bad cards...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:30:47 PM by Kelanen »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »
You know what: I think you're right ... and I hate that you're right :P
I want to have a good book for the orc not for the dwarf  :(
[rant]Is there any (viable) warlord book the dwarf doesn't do better?
He's better for Talos, he's better for solo, now he's also better for archers ...[/rant]
 :'(

Nope, nothing. Even things it looks like the Bloodwave should be good at, the Anvil does better. Veterans is a super-weak ability that doesn't ever trigger against many competitive books, can only trigger once when it does, and doesn't pay off very well for what is often a weak tactic. It should just read "Each soldier you cast comes into play with a Veteran token".

And Priest, but yes, especially Jokhtari and Bloodwave!

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
4 Earth Elementals is weaker then 1 plus sensible support, and MUCH easier to beat. Donovan - you alone of everyone that's been playing for years with Earth Elementals see them as a problem, when everyone else sees them as weak. As has been said to you in many threads ignore the elemental, and yes, you can and should ignore multiple elementals even more so - you can kill the enemy mage easily before he casts his third, let alone worrying about 4 swinging at you...

You are struggling because of bad strategy, not because of bad cards...

I think if somebody is irritated by questions, perhaps they should better not answer. I think they run the risk of becoming personal and that doesn't help anybody.

You are right that the winning strategy is to go into attack-the-mage mode.

Your remarks come a little bit after that same conclusion was made in the other tread.

Personally I like longer games where you build up a force and then see if you can win over what the other mage built. Even if I'd see a chance to quickly end the game in the first 5-6 rounds, I would not do it, because playing is my first goal - winning comes 2nd. I play against my 10 year old son. I was investigating long-term solutions.

I think it is clear to everybody that it is not going to be a successful strategy if one is going to fight multiple Earth Elementals - each having the same amount of life as a mage. But it was not immediately clear to me that ignoring multiples of them and go on with your normal play is not going to work either.

There were a lot of posts saying "Earth Elementals are weak - ignore them". But that was not the complete solution. The key here is to go into attack mode without casting any creature/conjuration, because the true weakness of the multiple Earth Elemental opening is that the other mage puts tons of mana into long term damage. So if you can turn the same amount of mana into short term damage, then you win.

Still I think the Warlord could use some help to let him play Warlord-Like instead of an Air-Wizard or Earth-Wizard.

But let's not dilute this thread further. This thread is about an elegant opening for Grimson. I like it.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
But let's not dilute this thread further. This thread is about an elegant opening for Grimson. I like it.
Thank's for pointing that out! Glad to hear that you like it :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 07:16:20 PM »
 ;)

Perhaps exchange the [mwcard=MW1Q09] Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard] for an [mwcard=MW1Q08] Elemental Wand[/mwcard] (both 2 points)?

That way you could also replace 1 [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02] Hurl Rock[/mwcard] for a [mwcard=MW1Q04] Deflection Bracers[/mwcard], which would complement the [mwcard=MW1E17] Force Orb[/mwcard].

Perhaps it would also make sense to replace your [mwcard=MW1E37] Sacred Ground[/mwcard] (4 points!) with 1 [mwcard=FWE06] Fortified Position[/mwcard] and 1 [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03] Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard].

[mwcard=FWE06] Fortified Position[/mwcard] compensates [mwcard=MW1E37] Sacred Ground[/mwcard] somewhat and with the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03] Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard] you get a mana buff for your equipment.

Now that you have the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03] Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard], you could also exchange the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06] Morning Star[/mwcard] with a [mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt[/mwcard].