May 13, 2024, 11:27:06 PM

Author Topic: Vampiric Warlock  (Read 3872 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Vampiric Warlock
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
So I thought instead of posting a random book I made on octgn, I would share the book I physically use.  I only have 2 copies of the 3rd edition arena and 1 copy of domination so cards like mend, wychwood ironvine, rust, rise again, blood demon, etc are not in here.  Dragon's Breath, while I do not think it is very good (my opinion) I love the artwork and the concept so hopefully it sees some action one day - for now its here because of the coolness factor.  I do have 1 random copy of cloak of shadows(thank you kharhaz!) so that is why its in here; that being said, here is my AC Warlock spell book.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Vampiric Warlock[/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a05]1 x  Firestorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a12]1 x  Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a04]2 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]3 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1A02]1 x  Dragon's Breath[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j12]1 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j15]1 x  Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c03]2 x  Dark Pact Slayer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c26]2 x  Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]2 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]2 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q21]1 x  Moloch's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q10]1 x  Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q28]1 x  Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i11]1 x  Explode[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i08]1 x  Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I might take cloak of shadows out, not sure yet.  Idol of pestilence was added last night so not sure exactly how that one plays out overall but it should be fine with consistent healing. Deathlock is going to be tough to go against and needs to be taken down asap.  Also, Necromancers are going to be very tough to fight since the vampiric trait only works on living creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Vampiric Warlock
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
Are you looking to get up and personal with this mage? Cause if so the Cloak of Shadows is sorta counter purpose. It's a cool book though and I like it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree and that is my debate on if i should leave it in or not. I'll most likely tinker with this book later today and the cloak might go.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Are you looking to get up and personal with this mage? Cause if so the Cloak of Shadows is sorta counter purpose. It's a cool book though and I like it.

Agreed.  You'll probably get a lot more mileage out of [mwcard=MW1Q07] Elemental Cloak[/mwcard].

I'm also a little confused by [mwcard=MW1J15] Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard] AND [mwcard=MW1Q23] Regrowth Belt[/mwcard] AND [mwcard=MW1E32] Regrowth[/mwcard].  I get that you'd probably put the Enchantment on your "buddy" rather than yourself, but these sources of regeneration don't stack.  I'd probably drop the tree and add another enchantment, since it's cheaper and more flexible.  An aggressive Vampiress with Regrowth would be pretty tough to kill!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:00:43 PM by iNano78 »

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
yeah, the tree was another late addition and my thought behind it was get in close then drop the tree after the creatures move in - I can hang out in the tree zone with a lash and have more regen.  The regrowth is meant for either the vampires or dps, preferably dps since he cant sustain himself without help.

I also thought about throwing in a knockdown or for orb/ sword.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
yeah, the tree was another late addition and my thought behind it was get in close then drop the tree after the creatures move in - I can hang out in the tree zone with a lash and have more regen.  The regrowth is meant for either the vampires or dps, preferably dps since he cant sustain himself without help.

I also thought about throwing in a knockdown or for orb/ sword.

If you're married to the tree, I'd recommend dropping some of the other regen and add [mwcard=MWBG1E01] Astral Anchor[/mwcard] so your opponent doesn't just Teleport out of your Tanglevine and never return to the zone with the tree.  E.g. Tanglevine your opponent and get your Anchor in place, then drop the tree.  You might even want to include a Force Hold as a back-up.  The tree (and similar cards like [mwcard=FWE06] Fortified Position[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E37] Sacred Ground[/mwcard]) looks great until you discover you don't have enough tools to keep your opponent in that zone, and the battle moves somewhere else.

Or is that what the Nullify and Jinx are for (to block Teleport)?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
Yeah, I agree and that is my debate on if i should leave it in or not. I'll most likely tinker with this book later today and the cloak might go.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

The only reasons I can think of to include the Cloak of Shadows would be to give yourself Light -2 vs. a Priest or Priestess, and to be able to move two away from a Wizard's Tower or Temple of Light and be unable to be targeted by their attacks. It isn't bad if you can afford the points, but has only very specialized uses I think.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

Agreed.  You'll probably get a lot more mileage out of [mwcard=MW1Q07] Elemental Cloak[/mwcard].

I'm also a little confused by [mwcard=MW1J15] Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard] AND [mwcard=MW1Q23] Regrowth Belt[/mwcard] AND [mwcard=MW1E32] Regrowth[/mwcard].  I get that you'd probably put the Enchantment on your "buddy" rather than yourself, but these sources of regeneration don't stack.  I'd probably drop the tree and add another enchantment, since it's cheaper and more flexible.  An aggressive Vampiress with Regrowth would be pretty tough to kill!

It completely slipped  my mind that the regen would not stack and that is why I had the tree in there.  I did take the tree out and threw in a bull endurance and a force orb.  I'll probably take out one vampiress??? With everything else going on I dont think i'll have the mana to throw a second one out there.  4 sbp for taking out a vampiress would be great too and give me more play room with other enchants.

I did just play a game with this book and won but mana seemed too tight - i did drop the idol too soon, though, which probably set me back a turn or two; live and learn.  What won the game, though, was baiting dispels so that there wasn't a way to get rid of the vampirism on my dps blood reaper and bear strength on my vampiress.

In that game I actually didn't get close enough to dissolve or melee until late in the game and by that time I just used flame blast and fireball one after another.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
The only spell Im really missing is Akiros Favor. But that's the set thing?

Elemental Wand might be good but it might be better to just include more Flameblast/Fireballs.

Id cut Dragons Breath no matter how cool it is :)

Your in an impossible spot vs. Necromancer with good fire protection and in a good spot vs. a Druid with plants.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever