May 02, 2024, 09:05:58 AM

Author Topic: List of viable spellbook archetypes  (Read 9781 times)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: List of viable spellbook archetypes
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:07:43 PM »
I made an excel table about this but not sure how to add it here without hard forum code formatting
You could export it as csv and then replace commas, linestart and lineend with the approriate forum code tags. Using a decent text editor, this should not be too hard.
I would really like to see this table.  :D
You can add a column with
Code: [Select]
[tr][td] only in front of first column of the table and column with
[/td][/tr] behind last column of the table. Then copy everything to notepad and use replace all option to replace every tab* with
[/td][td] and You will have code ready to put into
[table][/table] on forum.
*to replace tab in notepad You have to copy and paste it into search field.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 04:56:38 AM »
MageBook NameCreaturesTankDOTSwarmRushOffensiveDefensivecompetetive?Comment
WarlockCurse the hell out1-3xx
LOF0-1?
Pentagram /gate to hell/Bloodfire helmet6+supportxxnot yet
Buddy melee Warlock0-1supportx
AD WarlockBlasting Banker0-1xsupport or xxx
Fireball rush0-1supportxx
LOF0-1?
Pentagram /gate to hell/Bloodfire helmet6+supportxxnot yet
BeastmasterAviary6+xxxx
Wolf Swarm6+xxxx
DOT/melee1-3xx
Rush Petfalcon/grizzly2+xx
Cat swarm6+xxx?
Animal Kinship4+xxx?
Kralathor feeding1-3xx?(food not counted as creature)
Cub+mother bear4+xxnot yet seen
BeastmastressPoison of the jungle1-3xx(dot+bow)
Rushmaster0-1xx?
Cervere+BOW1-3xx
all BM books some a bit weaker
NecroTank graveyard4+xx~xx
Double Spawn4+x
Zombie Swarm4+x
Gorgon+Zombie4+support
Direct dmg/poison1-3xx
Skeleton swarm4+xxx
Altar of Skulls4+probablyxx?
PriestessDouble Spawn4+x
Guardian Angel Quartettx
Cleric/Valshalla swarmxx
DI creature0-1xx?(vampiress, grizzly,…)
BF few big/heal1-3x more possiblex
Tanky priestess1-3xxx(not yet seen)
Priestall priestess booksno
Buddy HA/melee1-3x?
ForcemasterGalvitar rush0-1xxagony
big creatures2-3supportx(double grizz, pit trap,…)
buddy FM0-1supportx
Fatigue FM0-1def>armorxx
LOF rush0-1xx?
Unstoppable Forcemasterwhat is this?
Wall push/spores FM1-3x?
WizardUltra Tank1-3xxxx++
Mana denial0-3probablypossiblex
Blasting Banker0-1x
Weithing Training Clothes1-3x
(tower rush)0-1xx
Watergate1-3x(deathzone trap)
Gate of Voltari4+kind ofxx
Elemental Wizard1-3xxx(whirling spirit, earth wizard, fire elemental)
Staff of storms support1-3xx
wall push+tower0-1xx
can defenitly also do curses/DOT
can also do two big (grizzly for example)
WarlordAltar of Domination4+kind ofx(powlich, frozen ADMW book)
Veteran Trolls1-3xxx
Double Spawn4+xslow
Barracks field Battle4+possiblexx
AT WarlordAltar of Domination4+kind ofx(powlich,frozen ADMW book)
Runesmith1-3xxx
Double Spawn4+possiblexslow
Hurl Metorite round 2xx?
DruidThornlasher Wall4+x
Kill Zone4+x
vines everywhere1-3survivexx(DOT+vines)
Grizzly+support tree1-3x
wallpush/fellela1-3x(thunderdome G miroque book)
Tank druid?xxx(not played or seen in yet, but defenitly possible)
Double grizzly or 1+kralathor1-3x

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 04:58:05 AM »
google convert excel to forum post much easier :D

http://theenemy.dk/table/

The table is inluding most of the common books, there are deviations of all and may some mix.
Wolf swarm of a BM can for example be played without or with lair. But else it will be too many books to mention here.

On the competetive section I try to rate those books i question if they are really competetive with a ? question mark. Not yet may be based on new cards coming with expansions that do help. if a card is named, it is the card that really cripples the deck. or a weakness.
I dont give much rating else, one could give it strength ratings of 1-10 but this also depends on the meta. For example DOT/curse depends largely on the amount of dispel people tend to run. I only marked the in my POV strongest book with ++. For a total strength rating I'd also have to play more of those books and against more of the others.

It is based on all included promos, except ballista as war mage only and unique.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:06:49 AM by Mystery »

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Mystery... you're a beast man! This is by far the most detailed I've ever seen this stuff broken down. No wonder you're a champ dude, rock on!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:41 PM »
There are some redundant columns in there. Rush is aggressive and tank is defensive. If you're including separate columns for rush and tank then you don't need to have separate columns offense and defense. Total number of creatures in the book is not all that important for identifying its playstyle. What really matters is the number of creatures that the book is actually going to to play in a single game. Also, I don't think you included all the playstyle categories. Far from it. It's started to seem very much like playstyles in Mage Wars Arena exist on a continuum based on how much they use different resources or deny them to the opponent, not as discrete categories. I have my own charts that I'll show here as soon as I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »
There are some redundant columns in there. Rush is aggressive and tank is defensive. If you're including separate columns for rush and tank then you don't need to have separate columns offense and defense. Total number of creatures in the book is not all that important for identifying its playstyle. What really matters is the number of creatures that the book is actually going to to play in a single game. Also, I don't think you included all the playstyle categories. Far from it. It's started to seem very much like playstyles in Mage Wars Arena exist on a continuum based on how much they use different resources or deny them to the opponent, not as discrete categories. I have my own charts that I'll show here as soon as I get home.

rush is of course offensive, but offensive playstyle is not rush, tank is defensive, but defensive is not necessary tank. A tank I define as minimum 3 chest pieces and 2 vet belts and tons of other armor and regenerate.

Lastly offensive and defensive are also ways you can play a deck, not all are onedimensional. the tank wizard you could also go offensive wit wizardstower and elemental wand if you want for example against a necro...

i'm not displaying total amount of creatures but general how many you play. My BF tanky priestess has 2 angels, 2 knight, 1 brogan and a ressurection, but i hardly ever play more than 2/3 so its 1-3. And the creatures are classes 0-1, 1-3, 4+,6+. My veteran trolls is running 6 creatures but generally i get 3 out, so its 1-3

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »

rush is of course offensive, but offensive playstyle is not rush, tank is defensive, but defensive is not necessary tank. A tank I define as minimum 3 chest pieces and 2 vet belts and tons of other armor and regenerate.

Lastly offensive and defensive are also ways you can play a deck, not all are onedimensional. the tank wizard you could also go offensive wit wizardstower and elemental wand if you want for example against a necro...

i'm not displaying total amount of creatures but general how many you play. My BF tanky priestess has 2 angels, 2 knight, 1 brogan and a ressurection, but i hardly ever play more than 2/3 so its 1-3. And the creatures are classes 0-1, 1-3, 4+,6+. My veteran trolls is running 6 creatures but generally i get 3 out, so its 1-3
I would describe my double forge Warlock as offensive tank. It may run only 2 chest pieces and 2 vet belts, but uses 2 or 3 sources of defense and Helm of Fear (plus Sunfire amulet, regrowth and vampirism if things get rough). Still he's designed to attack enemy mage early.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »

I would describe my double forge Warlock as offensive tank. It may run only 2 chest pieces and 2 vet belts, but uses 2 or 3 sources of defense and Helm of Fear (plus Sunfire amulet, regrowth and vampirism if things get rough). Still he's designed to attack enemy mage early.

exactly that is what i ment you can play a tank offensive or in different ways. Tank, DOT, swarm... and offensive/defensive are different ways to classify no redundancy here

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Beastmaster / Animal Kinship type book will do pretty well with Academy creatures now. We were talking about such a build tonight that one of the folks put together. We're wondering whether Animal Kinship may end up with a Unique tag because of what you can do with it and small creatures... especially when you can quick cast a level 1 for whichever bonus you want. Someone guards? Bring out a little cat with a quickcast and you have Elusive for your attack. Someone rusted your armor? Bring out an Asp... etc.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »

exactly that is what i ment you can play a tank offensive or in different ways. Tank, DOT, swarm... and offensive/defensive are different ways to classify no redundancy here
Again, tank means defensive and rush means offensive. They exist on a continuum though, so there is a considerable amount of possible strategies in-between pure rush and pure tank. Based on what you just said, I would consider getting rid of the columns for "offensive" and "defensive" since they don't tell someone anything new about a strategy or group of strategies that isn't already apparent from other columns like tank and swarm and rush.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »

Again, tank means defensive and rush means offensive. They exist on a continuum though, so there is a considerable amount of possible strategies in-between pure rush and pure tank. Based on what you just said, I would consider getting rid of the columns for "offensive" and "defensive" since they don't tell someone anything new about a strategy or group of strategies that isn't already apparent from other columns like tank and swarm and rush.
I think you have different ideas of what tank means. Is it just armor and defenses as hell (offensively playable) or  defensive playstyle with armor?
It is Mystery's list with his thoughts and opinions. Instead of arguing how this list should be changed everybody is free to write a list on his own. With more or less columns.

What i don't understand is, whats the meaning at johktari “all BM books, some a bit weaker“? I feel both BM feel and play quite different, so books are different as well.

Animal Kinship is a great card, but is expensive to use if you want to stack. And relying on a living asp can get you in done real trouble, cause that asp might die quick in a bad situation and you don't carry one all the time. It's a invulnerable tactic and I think no unique is necessary. Even with academy.