May 06, 2024, 04:12:27 PM

Author Topic: Galador, Protector of Straywood  (Read 3736 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Galador, Protector of Straywood
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard] seems pretty weak on the surface, compared to other level 4 creatures. [mwcard=MW1C34]Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard] costs only 1 extra mana and is better both in his offence as his defence. At the surface, he seems to outclass Galador by a mile. The first time I used Galador, I reasoned that his succes was pure luck and the specific circumstances of that game. The second time I again reasoned it was luck, but after 4 good games, I had to conclude: Galador is a good creature!

Number 1: Galador has a 4-dice ethereal attack. Ethereal is something nature mages don't easily find. Force hammer is a good spell, but very expensive and a one-time use. His ethereal attack can be boosted easily with hawkeye to become 5 dice. If the opponent casts some incorporeal conjurations or creatures he might become the savior of your battle!

Number 2: Galador can effectively damage and daze/stun big guys with his lightning attack. This comes in very handy when the opponent has some huge creatures by his side.

Number 3: He can attack flyers! The nature school mostly does not have a ton of flying creatures, but Galador can shoot them out of the sky.

Number 4: Armored soldiers are weak to lightning attacks. He is a very good counter to common creatures like the [mwcard=MW1C22]Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]. His ranged attack will gain 2 dice and the Daze/stun chances also rise.

Number 5: His melee attack is decent. Not great but certainly not bad. 4 or 5 dice + piercing 1 is slightly above average but nothing to brag about. Still, it is a decent attack whenever you need it.

Galador has an answer for every situation and will almost certainly be usefull in every single round. Flyers? Shoot them! Big guys? Daze them! Ethereal? Kill it! Guards? Avoid it with a ranged attack or attack it with the antlers! [mwcard=MW1Q07]Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]? Antlers!

The beauty of Galador is thus his biggest weakness at the same time. He can almost every round get things done and will have an answer in every situation. The downside remains that the grizzly bear has more strength. If you never played the deer because he seems too weak on the surface I would really suggest to test him out. There is more to him than meets the eye.  :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Galador, Protector of Straywood
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
Good post, Halewijn, I like articles like these.

Galador is somewhat like the old Bard in D&D imo, good at everything but master of nothing.
If you're building melee, there are heavier hitters available or cheaper for the same power.
If you're going ranged, there are also better options available.

The problem I see with him is that due to his relatively high spb and mana cost he has to be somewhat of the focal point of your book. The question is : is he good enough to build around and what would a book built around him look like ?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »
I didn't build a book around him. I just added him in my beastmaster and druid books and casted him whenever it felt right. (sometimes with a lair)

I don't think he's good to build a book around, but he's very good in supporting the rest.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
Agreed - whilst Galador is often not the best tool for a job, he's a pretty good tool for ALL jobs. I use him in Druid more than BM...

I don't think you build around him - whatever you are building to do you could find something slightly better in that dimension. By his very nature you just drop him in, and he's always good.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:49:22 AM by Kelanen »

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »
Yep can't agree more on Galador.  He is awesome and provides an interesting niche that not many nature school creatures offer.  He is a toolbox creature offering a lot of possibilities.  Not to specifically build around but nice to buddy up or use as a counter to flying, those stated earlier.  Having the chance to stun and daze is a pretty cool ability if you don't run many attack spells too.   

Is he good enough to use in other non nature school builds tho?  Most likely not but interested in hearing if people have used him in non nature school books.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:29 PM »
Agreed.

Another benefit of Gladador is his ranged attack works to avoid guards.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
ב"ה
I sometimes put him in beastmasters spellbooks as a counter to ethereal and lightning +x creatures. I usually don't bring him for other uses.