May 05, 2024, 08:43:34 AM

Author Topic: Card of the [indeterminate time frame]!!!  (Read 3132 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Card of the [indeterminate time frame]!!!
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
Ok boys and girls! Its that time again! I'm gonna lay out an old one today that's been around since the beginning. Im not foolish enough to call this one card of the week anymore because apparently my job doesn't always lend me enough free time. But ive been thinking about this one for a little bit now and i thought id break down Magebane today.

Now here is a candidate for most efficient card in the game right now. 5 mana, one quick action, and it demands a response. A warlock can drop that price by one with his/ her ring, but even for the rank and file non dark mages this card still pulls it's weight.
The reason its so good is several fold, insofar as its going to bone you no matter what you decide to do with it. Mages being equal (for the sake of argument, we know they aren't) its worth the cost almost every time.

Scenario one. You qc Magebane face down and it burns a nullify, (assuming neither are in school) you just burned one qc and 2 mana and 2sp to destroy one qc, 4mana, and 2 sp on the other side. Worth it in my opinion

Scenario two, you qc Magebane, it sticks, you flip it. 5 mana spent. Now it will do at least one damage to the enemy and force an immediate reaction. They must plan a dispel and then use it costing a full 5 mana and dealing one damage. Both have spent 2 sp (assuming no in school cards), 5 mana, one qc. But one takes damage and without superb planning and foresight it will probably take another turn before the enemy can undo the curse. Pretty worth it if it throws your enemy off of the plan they had at the onset.

Scenario three. The enemy counteracts spell some other way by playing a regrowth belt or something. This is a stop-gap as the two direct damage they would take will get undone at upkeep. May seem like a wash, but almost every regeneration spell will cost the same or more than you spent casting the magebane and now you've "occupied" the enemies passive healing, meaning any other damage that goes through becomes that much harder to heal. I would consider this a win as well. Further DOT or the like enhances this effect and demands another response.

Scenario four. Your enemy does nothing about it and it either does 2 damage to the mage per round or the enemy doesn't cast 2 spells per round, gaining you tempo. This might cause your enemy to commit to an all out rush in attempts to kill you before you kill him.

In every case i see value in this card. Theres even a decent case to be made for taking one of these out of school, or even from a prohibited school! This card is a model of ruthless efficiency. I know almost every druid i run plays one. Every warlock i run plays at least 2. Ive put this handy little number in a few of my priest books, and at least one (ill fated and poorly executed, but super fun to play!!!) Priestess book from last year's ADMW. It lost, but there were a bunch of reasons for that. Lol!

What do you all think? I've heard arguments that it's too good, but i think for what it does this lvl 1 spell is an absolute game changer!

Feels good to be back, dunno when the next one will come, but ill try and make it before too long. Might turn into card or the month or something. Lol!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Card of the [indeterminate time frame]!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
Magebane is one of my favorites, so it must be good :)

Vs. a Druid it might not be worth it.

Ive seen Mages take incredible amount of damage to this!

Liking the new time frame :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:14:08 AM »
Great read! Magebane is indeed amazing. I wouldn't exactly agree with scenario 4 though:
As a melee mage (or bow), I probably won't dispel it and take a damage (or maybe 2) per turn. I will not be losing tempo since that was the plan anyway. The magebane might do 8+ damage for 5 mana so it will still be amazing in this scenario.

Scenario 5: I'm a mega agro mage and I plan to kill you in a couple of rounds. If that fails than the extra damage of magebane is irrelevant since I probably lost anyway.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
I agree with Halewijn, there are mages who will just outrun this, and not need to react to it, or care about the damage.

That said, it's a very awesome spell, and is in almost all of my books, and often a couple of copies. Should have been L2 IMO.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 04:34:32 AM »
Direct damage is something that has always interested me in this game. I have toyed with builds that revolve around it; however it alone is too slow unless you can hit the tipping point of 5-6 points a turn. Even that alone requires a lot of setup and is very fragile. A single purge magic or remove curse removes several actions and a chunk of mana.

That said it is an awesome card that always hits around the 115-140 point mark in my books.