May 05, 2024, 09:12:00 AM

Author Topic: Cerberus  (Read 3579 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Cerberus
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
I was thinking about using [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard] to guard my Necromancer and was wondering if anybody has gotten that to work.  A quick search of the forums didn't come up with much, but something along these lines:

Cerberus would be better with the Necromancer. He can be brought back as a zombie. The Necro has more valuable dark conjurations worth guarding than the warlock. I had an idea recently for an "eternal guard dog" build, using Cerberus to guard you and casting a sacrificial altar in your zone whenever you want to give him triple strike, and sacrificing him to get a powerful melee attack, bringing him back with rise again. With graveyard you could summon more sacrificial altar fodder (your eternal servant plus extra)

I was thinking of having my Necromancer hang out on a NC [mwcard=DNJ04]Graveyard[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1J11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard] or [mwcard=DNJ13]Ziggurat of Undeath[/mwcard] or something (depending on opposing mage) protected by Cerberus and a [mwcard=MW1J18]Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard], using [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard] to stay put, while pumping out zombies to eventually swarm and destroy the opposing mage.  Only problem is that, unlike my mage and the rest of my creatures, Cerberus isn't immune to poison.  Aside from letting him die a slow and painful death and then [mwcard=DNI01]reanimating[/mwcard] him as a zombie, is there an easy / less risky way to make him immune to the Idol/Cloud? 

I guess I could use [mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard] to slow it down...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:25:59 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Cerberus
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Aside from letting him die a slow and painful death and then [mwcard=DNI01]reanimating[/mwcard] him as a zombie, is there an easy / less risky way to make him immune to the Idol/Cloud? 

Just let the zombie happen. It will still take a while for him to die. Sacrificing him sounds like a great play. Regrowth is not a great idea, because as a necromancer you should generally try to drop a Deathlock.

As far as conjurations go, I think the one conjuration that he would go very well with is the [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard]. Cerberus has the defensive strength needed to protect it while it powers up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
[mwcard=DNI01]Animate Dead[/mwcard] targets a non-Epic creature?  That wasn't meant to say "non-Legendary" was it?  The only Epic creature I can find is [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]Talos[/mwcard].  Nice!  I'll have to include more Animate Dead in my Necromancer books.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
As far as conjurations go, I think the one conjuration that he would go very well with is the [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard]. Cerberus has the defensive strength needed to protect it while it powers up.

Is [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard] really worth it?  I mean, it's amazing once active (like a better Idol of Pestilence + [mwcard=MW1J19]Deathlock[/mwcard] in one) but I have trouble justifying the mana cost and early action for something that won't do anything for most of the match and then depends on some combination of my opponent providing me 8 creatures to kill and/or summoning [mwcard=DNC01]Acolytes[/mwcard] to spend their full actions putting skull tokens on the Altar to get the count up... I'm relatively new and naive, so maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's easier to trigger than I imagine, but it seems like a lot of actions, mana and time (in terms of rounds) that could have been better put towards more directly damaging the opposing mage.

Besides, I'm really more interested in Cerberus protecting my otherwise squishy mage.  The fact he simultaneously protects a key conjuration is icing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:54:23 PM by iNano78 »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
Just saw another recent thread and realized [mwcard=MW1C23]Malacoda[/mwcard] is probably better for my purposes than [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard].  Sure, he doesn't get the triple strike and isn't unmovable when guarding, but he has a built-in [mwcard=MW1J18]Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard] and is immune to poison, which means living creatures in a zone with him and a cloud plus [mwcard=MW1J11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard] in play get 5 direct poison damage per turn and it doesn't affect him - and he costs less to cast.  If it becomes an issue, there are ways to make him unmovable...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:33:42 PM by iNano78 »