May 05, 2024, 10:04:05 AM

Author Topic: Commonly Useful Spells  (Read 18107 times)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Commonly Useful Spells
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:42:04 PM »

I am not sold on Enchanter's Ring, though I have never used it to be honest.

Its another one of those that I put in most spell books.  I mean.. just look at how many of those commonly useful spells are enchantments. 

Its 2 mana cost is made up for after casting any combination of two of lets say… Nullify, Forcefeild, Bear Strength, Cheetah Speed, Enchantment Transfusion, Block, Reverse Attack, Harmonize, Regrowth, Healing Charm, Vampirism, Divine Might, Rise Again (friendly cast), Divine Intervention, Falcon Precision, Hawkeye, Bark Skin, Rhino Hide… the list goes on and on.   It also makes Decoy only cost 1 mana, so when it reveals to give you 2 you actually gain mana in the process.

Its a pretty big mana saver for any buff heavy mage like a Forcemaster, or support heavy mage like  Beastmaster, Druid or Wizard. 

Usually I go with Enchanters Ring+"Mage Discount Ring" for broader discount potential instead of a +1 Damage Ring or Defense Ring or anything like that. 

Another spell that is almost always included for me, though is not popularly an auto-include is Dancing Scimitar.   The +1 upkeep can be a bummer, but for what is basically a bonus attack action every turn that also doesn't occupy an equipment slot and has the option to be a defense in a pinch,  its worth it.  In a game where actions are so valuable its handy to have an extra attack each turn for getting rid of stragglers or vine tokens, or spreading your damage out or focusing fire, or for helping chip away at conjurations, or stripping blocks/reverse attacks off of a target.. its just so flexible and adds up damage fast if it gets a chance to attack constantly.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:50:11 PM by baronzaltor »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
Playing as Warlord? 0 Teleport
Playing as Arcane Mage? 2 Teleport
Playing as something else? 1-2 Teleport if and only if you have spare points.

Man, do we disagree on this one. My Warlord books have 2 teleports, and it goes up from there.

I spend at least 8 points on Teleports, regardless of mage. 12 or 16 if I can afford it.

True story.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
Playing as Warlord? 0 Teleport
Playing as Arcane Mage? 2 Teleport
Playing as something else? 1-2 Teleport if and only if you have spare points.

Man, do we disagree on this one. My Warlord books have 2 teleports, and it goes up from there.

I spend at least 8 points on Teleports, regardless of mage. 12 or 16 if I can afford it.

True story.

Absolutely! IMO teleport is one of the strongest if not the strongest spell in the whole game! Actually I find it so strong that I would think about an errata (its so strong that every other mage has a disadvantage against the wizard only because he gets them for so few spellpoints - especially if you count in that mage wand is also cheap and great in combination with teleport).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:45:11 AM by Charmyna »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
I know this is another populist poll of “opinions” but after a traumatic weekend, I’ll bite for some light relief.

The criteria is too broad. Bear Strength is prevalent in Aggro, Nullify in Control, Transfusion in Combo.

I approached this by applying the Law of Supply and Demand to determine what spells to list.
“What spells do I always find I don’t have enough, so I end up moving them between books?”
Of course they are all from Core Set (I have 2 Sets, no Tomes) as expansions come in full sets.

(* = level 2, otherwise all level 1 cheap splash)

DARK
Agony
Poisoned Blood (timed reveal but who active heals?)
*Vampirism

HOLY
Hand of Bim-Shalla (max. 1 per aggro book)

MIND
Decoy (novice, rooting out Nullify, surprise mana play vs. pros)
Force Push (see Wall of Thorns)

WAR
*Battle Forge
Battle Fury (why use situational Whirlwind Strike?)
Gauntlets of Strength
Retaliate

NATURE
Bear Strength (why use Power Strike?)
Enchanter’s Ring
Mongoose Agility (why use Evade?)
Regrowth
Regrowth Belt
Rouse the Beast (+1 attack lifetime value + opportunity gain)
Tanglevine
Wall of Thorns (see Force Push)

ARCANE
Dispel
Elemental Cloak
Jinx (any Aggro book and Transfusion Combo)
Mage Staff (cheap, reach + ethereal)
*Mage Wand (see Teleport)
Mana Crystal (more prevalent/resilient than Flower)
Nullify (for Control builds only)
Seeking Dispel (to disrupt Transfusion Combo books)
*Teleport (see Mage Wand)
*Wizard's Tower (play too many Wizard variants)

ELEMENTAL (most meta-dependent)
Dissolve (alternatives exist but cheaper basic needed)
Dragonscale Hauberk
*Elemental Wand (hence no attack spells in list)

Useful expansion cards include Surging Wave, Hurl Boulder, Enchantment Transfusion (to protect "2 Wands Control" with timed Nullifies), Veteran’s Belt and Healing Wand (or Renewing Spring if mobile swarm), all excluded in this list as they come as a full set.

I find this strong evidence that Arcane and Nature are the top schools (or at least greatest strategy versatility, hence multiple books).

Holy does seem to be the least splashed major school, active healing debunked as too action intensive, even for Priestess (Enchanter’s Ring + Healing Charm best, lures opponent to spend action resources to “one round remove” threat, only for target to heal himself in correct attack step). With recent FAQ changes, is it time to rescind the Hand of Bim-Shalla and Battle Fury card errata? (Temple of Light still stays as errata, precursor to utility Wizard’s Tower).

While on the topic of errata, as for Teleport, often cited as the number 1 spell on this forum’s populist polls, it’s purely coincidence I find myself missing sufficient Teleports and Mage Wands for the variant strategies of Wizard I like to play. Oh no, there’s absolutely nothing broken about Teleport and nobody has been campaigning for it to be errata’d to “non-Enemy Mage”.

Teleport (and my inability to play "fun" weak books) is the reason why my local meta who taught me Mage Wars now rarely play it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:47:45 PM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
Bear Strength (why use Power Strike?)

Because they stack. Useful since it's much cheaper than Battle Fury in terms of mana and spell book points (especially for the Druid), and you can use it to surprise your opponent. Also rolling 13+ dice in one attack is fun.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »
Also rolling 13+ dice in one attack is fun.

*cough* Win More *cough* :)

Yeah, I have "fun" issues. The acid test: is it efficient? Not really.

Sidetrack on Commands, Persistent Enchants and Triggered Enchants

I do sometimes use 1 copy of Piercing Strike but it's more a meta decision (we know why).
I appreciate nonliving needs Commands (Golem + Charge, Brute + Evade though Force Push more utility).
Otherwise the whole Persistent Enchantments vs. cheaper one-shot Commands is flawed.

Persistent Enchants (with Ring) + Resilient Creatures (for multiple enchant use) is way more efficient.
Especially as creatures are often gamelong.

Then we come to Triggered Enchants. This is not as straightforward as their value is instant speed trickery
Non-mandatory (Retaliate, Decoy, Transfusion, Healing Charm, Divine Intervention etc) are the strongest.
Mandatory triggers are far too risky unless you are straight trading actions
(Hence why Block, Reverse Attack, Reverse Magic are far rarer than Nullify and Jinx, both just delay buffers).
Stumble is fine though (I prefer 1 mana more Force Hold for its greater versatility but 4 spell points harsh).

AW trying to make Commands work is intrinsically flawed based on efficiency analysis. Hence the Warlord issue.

But then, this is just my analysis of the game, Aylin. I have been known to change my position...

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
Also rolling 13+ dice in one attack is fun.

*cough* Win More *cough* :)

Yeah, I have "fun" issues. The acid test: is it efficient? Not really.

Sidetrack on Commands, Persistent Enchants and Triggered Enchants

I do sometimes use 1 copy of Piercing Strike but it's more a meta decision (we know why).
I appreciate nonliving needs Commands (Golem + Charge, Brute + Evade though Force Push more utility).
Otherwise the whole Persistent Enchantments vs. cheaper one-shot Commands is flawed.

Persistent Enchants (with Ring) + Resilient Creatures (for multiple enchant use) is way more efficient.
Especially as creatures are often gamelong.

Then we come to Triggered Enchants. This is not as straightforward as their value is instant speed trickery
Non-mandatory (Retaliate, Decoy, Transfusion, Healing Charm, Divine Intervention etc) are the strongest.
Mandatory triggers are far too risky unless you are straight trading actions
(Hence why Block, Reverse Attack, Reverse Magic are far rarer than Nullify and Jinx, both just delay buffers).
Stumble is fine though (I prefer 1 mana more Force Hold for its greater versatility but 4 spell points harsh).

AW trying to make Commands work is intrinsically flawed based on efficiency analysis. Hence the Warlord issue.

But then, this is just my analysis of the game, Aylin. I have been known to change my position...

Even though I've seen you swap sides repeatedly, on this issue I mostly agree with you. There really isn't any reason to use Evade or Perfect Strike if you're using Living Creatures. Honestly I don't think the incantations will get much use on living creatures as long as their Novice versions of enchantments. Instead I wish they'd model them after Charge instead, where you get the enchantment benefit plus something extra for a turn.

But the reason I take a Power Strike in my Druid book is because a Battle Fury is so expensive for her I have trouble justifying it. I use it when having the extra 2 dice gives me ~50% or better of killing whatever creature/conjuration in one hit, especially if that object hasn't acted yet this round. EDIT: I thought I should specify that I'm referring to dangerous targets here, such as a Wizard's Tower or an opposing Galador.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:50:11 PM by Aylin »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
Even though I've seen you swap sides repeatedly, on this issue I mostly agree with you. There really isn't any reason to use Evade or Perfect Strike if you're using Living Creatures. Honestly I don't think the incantations will get much use on living creatures as long as their Novice versions of enchantments. Instead I wish they'd model them after Charge instead, where you get the enchantment benefit plus something extra for a turn.

But the reason I take a Power Strike in my Druid book is because a Battle Fury is so expensive for her I have trouble justifying it. I use it when having the extra 2 dice gives me ~50% or better of killing whatever creature/conjuration in one hit, especially if that object hasn't acted yet this round.

"Repeatedly"? Does that mean I switched twice on another issue back to my original viewpoint? Let it go...

Otherwise, I totally agree with you on both Charge and why Druid may want to use a Novice boost.

Oh dear. It seems we are in total agreement here. I think I'm going to have a lie down now... :)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
"Repeatedly"? Does that mean I switched twice on another issue back to my original viewpoint? Let it go...

I was referring to the Wizard declaring element thread, which was pretty funny how many times you switched sides.

Otherwise, I totally agree with you on both Charge and why Druid may want to use a Novice boost.

Oh dear. It seems we are in total agreement here. I think I'm going to have a lie down now... :)

It was bound to happen again sooner or later.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »
I was referring to the Wizard declaring element thread, which was pretty funny how many times you switched sides.

Really? And there was I thinking I was firmly 100% all the time on the side of the Wizard not declaring element. I even got a PM from a designer thanking me for my "spirited defence" of not declaring their element, which almost swayed them. Obviously, neither of us noticed the many times I switched sides which some found "pretty funny" too.

I still think it would have been great to leverage information as a resource. Imagine the Prophetess mage who gets to see all your cards picked at the end of Planning (so as to allow mirror match) and can look at all hidden enchantments as her 2 mage abilities. She can't be surprised. It's another example of adding a new dimension of "information as a resource" into the game. Sadly the designers did not agree. It did provoke me, however, to finally join them as a playtester (as sIKE put it, "to influence from the inside"). I only wish I had done so before as I would have been better placed to tip the argument the other way. (I think they invited me because it means I make far less trouble on the public forums these days - or so they thought.)

Much of the dismay about the Wizard not declaring was because "the Wizard is too strong!" And that's because of Teleport (oh dear, I did let slip a secret?) and to less extent Mage Wand, being able to win Teleport Wars and Wand Wars against any non-Wizard. They should have just nerfed Teleport to "non-Enemy Mage" and left the Wizard as a mysterious trickster who switches elemental allegiance at a drop of a hat (like unprincipled posters who switch sides repeatedly in a debate). Make him sneaky, more a trickster Illusionist than brute force Evoker.

And so we are back to Teleport as a "Commonly Useful Spell" - because it's too powerful and needs nerfing!
(See Shad0w, how I even managed get this back on topic.)

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »

I find this strong evidence that Arcane and Nature Dark are the top schools (or at least greatest strategy versatility, hence multiple books).

I fixed that for you.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »

Really? And there was I thinking I was firmly 100% all the time on the side of the Wizard not declaring element. I even got a PM from a designer thanking me for my "spirited defence" of not declaring their element, which almost swayed them. Obviously, neither of us noticed the many times I switched sides which some found "pretty funny" too.

You switched sides here and here.

I still think it would have been great to leverage information as a resource. Imagine the Prophetess mage who gets to see all your cards picked at the end of Planning (so as to allow mirror match) and can look at all hidden enchantments as her 2 mage abilities. She can't be surprised. It's another example of adding a new dimension of "information as a resource" into the game. Sadly the designers did not agree. It did provoke me, however, to finally join them as a playtester (as sIKE put it, "to influence from the inside"). I only wish I had done so before as I would have been better placed to tip the argument the other way. (I think they invited me because it means I make far less trouble on the public forums these days - or so they thought.)

Much of the dismay about the Wizard not declaring was because "the Wizard is too strong!" And that's because of Teleport (oh dear, I did let slip a secret?) and to less extent Mage Wand, being able to win Teleport Wars and Wand Wars against any non-Wizard. They should have just nerfed Teleport to "non-Enemy Mage" and left the Wizard as a mysterious trickster who switches elemental allegiance at a drop of a hat (like unprincipled posters who switch sides repeatedly in a debate). Make him sneaky, more a trickster Illusionist than brute force Evoker.

I think the Wizard's currently the strongest for more than just Teleport and Mage Wands. The bigger issue I think is that they've put so many staple spells for books into the Arcane school and left some of the other schools (particularly Holy and War) fairly empty by comparison. Everyone takes Dispels, Teleports, and at least one Elemental Cloak, and many players also take Mage Wands, Mage Staff, and Nullify. No other school even comes close to having that many staple spells, except perhaps Nature (and most of the borrowed spells from that school are level 1). Also the Wizard has the best familiar in the game right now, and that's pretty significant as well.

I agree that Teleport is probably the strongest spell in the game though. Perhaps its power could be diminished with a Dimensional Anchor spell, that either increases the cost of an opponent teleporting you or your creatures, or increases the cost of all teleport effects on you and your creatures. Just something that can fight a Teleport besides Teleport (and Nullify, though that almost never works).

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »
I fixed that for you.

Aaah Kharhaz, we were just talking about "switching sides"... :)
Aw shucks, thanks for correcting my silly typo there.

Dark is indeed strong and has numerous strategies including
* Warlock Elite Aggro
* Warlock Curses Transfusion Combo
* Warlock Near Solo Control with Fire
* Necro Spawnpoint Swarm
* Necro Elites (4 Brutes Mage Hunt)

But I contend that Nature has even more archetypes.
* Thornlasher and Raptors have made Jokhtari a force (except vs. Golems/Jellies)
* Druid can be played Aggro, Turtle, Ranged Maze, Remote etc
* Straywood has Weenie Swarm, Dog Swarm, Aggro Elites, Mid Range Lair etc

I guess I prefer Buffs to Debuffs.
My theory is every Buff should increase the longevity of my creature, making all those Buffs more efficient.
With non-mage Debuffs, the more I reduce longevity, the less efficient my increasing investment becomes.
Also, if Aggro targets the enemy mage, Buffs are game long while only Mage Debuffs are good investment.

I also think Straywood and Druid mage abilities are stronger than their Dark counterparts.
(Jokhtari is let down because both Wounded Prey and Bleed is unable to affect Nonliving)

I will agree, however, that the meta currently favours Dark purely because of Lord of Fire.
(In a recent game, I know my opponent's Warlock plays Lord of Fire, he won Initiative to play second against my Fire Wizard but he made a mistake leaving his corner as I cast Drain Power in round 2 Early QC then summoned him in round 3, crucial in the Flame match-up).
Lord of Fire is a beast in the current meta, a very "Timmy" play that does well (oooh, look how big he is).

Dark vs Nature power levels is an interesting debate, Kharhaz, which I'd love to discuss (on its own thread?).
Sadly, it's 12.45am GMT here in UK so maybe discuss another time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:44:14 PM by DeckBuilder »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Speaking of dark goodness, necropian vampiress is so good she even appears in occasional holy builds despite triple cost

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »
Speaking of dark goodness, necropian vampiress is so good she even appears in occasional holy builds despite triple cost

Good point, Baron! Vampiress and Grizzly are "go to creatures" for an aggressive Arcane mage build. But triple?
We both know that Divine Intervention + Vampiress (for distance resilience) is flawed against most solid builds.
With Raptor Vine and Zombie Brute (and Thornlasher board control), we need to re-evaluate these older builds.

I think I've confused "splashable" with top schools here, my bad. Everyone splashes Arcane and Nature spells.

An example: say there was the following mage:

Magician (region: Kharhaz) - a mysterious master of diverse magics who can shift his magical allegiances
Trained in 2 schools of your choice. Pays triple for 2 major schools of your choice.
You need not declare your training unless required to so as to check play legality.
You must declare your training at the end of the game when revealing your book.
You may hand in a new spell book list with different training between tournament games.
Channel 10, Life 32, Melee Basic 3

This mage would be released in an unthemed Utility Set with just extra copies of Core Set spells I've listed.
I am also exploring the "information is a resource" concept of Prophetess above (while having a cheap dig).

I think the most popular default training choice (before scouting tournament meta) would be
"Trained in Arcane and Nature, pays triple for Holy and Mind"
(Already experimenting Thornlashers snatching into Hydra pits).

This gives an indication of just where the 6 Major schools stand in terms of utility and power ranking.
Arcane 1, Nature/Dark 2, Rest 3
This is because in school elements of the other 3 major schools are debunked:
(a) Commands don't work for Living, War = Battle Forge, equips & Battle Fury
(b) Actvive Healing is too action & mana intensive, the inverse of attack burst
(c) Too much Unavoidable/Psychic Immune, Mind = Force Push & novice Decoy

AW need to work on making those other 3 schools contribute more cheap spells to every spell book

(Baron & Kharhaz, let's not argue Dark is such a strong school as it begs the question about the focus of the next release...)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:38:57 AM by DeckBuilder »