May 16, 2024, 02:09:55 PM

Author Topic: Surging Wave  (Read 1932 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Surging Wave
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
Target Line :
"Non-Flying Creature or conjuration"

Does the "Non-Flying" apply to creatures and conjurations both or only creatures ?
As it stands, it can be interpreted both ways.

In other words, can a Surging Wave target a Mind's Eye ? ;)
Intuitively, I'd say if SW can't target a flying creature it should also not be able to target a flying conjuration.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:36:37 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Surging Wave
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
This question has been brought up with previous cards. Basically, in at least some English Grammar books, including the one that AW goes by (whichever one that is) when you have an adjective followed by two nouns like this, the adjective applies to both. It's considered normal English because that's the way the English Grammar books teach it, but even to native English speakers it is not the most intuitive rule (I don't know if you're a native speaker or not, but I am and I was also confused by it).

Still, the answer to your question is that it applies to both. All other similar situations you find in the game also work the same way. Living creatures and conjurations means living creatures + living conjurations. Holy creatures and conjurations = holy creatures and holy conjurations. etc.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Zuberi.

when you have an adjective followed by two nouns like this, the adjective applies to both.

I'm not a native English speaker - I'm from Belgium fyi - but that's how I understood it as well.
The way AW puts it is thus grammatically correct and saves card space and print at the same time ... ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »
I don't know if it's a UK/US English difference, or something else, but AW's way is intuitive to me, and the way I'd word it.

"Non-Flying Creature or Conjuration" applies the adjective to both. If you wanted to apply to only one, you'd make it the last one, so "Conjuration or Non-Flying Creature"

I spend many hours each week reading and writing long reports, and this is the standard convention.