May 04, 2024, 02:26:43 AM

Author Topic: What happens if Nullify cost is not paid?  (Read 2420 times)

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What happens if Nullify cost is not paid?
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
I know I have to REVEAL Nullify if an enchantment or incantation is cast on me but can I CHOOSE to pay the 2 reveal cost?  And IF I choose NOT to pay the 2 cost that would mean the Enchantment would NOT be Nullified and get through?

So basically I'm asking if the Enchantment will still stick on me if Nullify cost isn't paid.  I know nullify gets destroyed and discarded either way, but does the Enchantment cast on me get destroyed too if I don't (or can't pay) the cost?

I'm asking for 2 reasons:
Reason 1:  If I cast an enchantment on myself that I want to land, I'm assuming Nullify will block me from enchanting myself too?  And if I really want to enchant (or incantation) myself can I just destroy nullify without destroying the enchant/incantation?

Reason 2:  Whenever I cast a mage wand my friend always seems to toss an enchantment at me to trigger Nullify so he can then destroy the wand.  But let's say he casts Bear Strength on me, can I just not pay the mana cost and destroy Nullify but let the Bear Strength land on me?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if Nullify cost is not paid?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Nullify during the Counter Spell Step. That spell is countered. Then, destroy Nullify.

I have highlighted and bolded the points of clarification left me know if you have any further questions.

If you do not pay the Nullify is discarded and the Enchantment takes effect.

Try a Reverse Magic on him instead of a Nullify. It might sting a bit and plan for it, QC the Reverse Magic and have a Dissolve ready for the Wand.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:51:44 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
If the creature with nullify becomes the target of an incantation or enchantment controlled by an opponent, you must reveal nullify. If you pay the reveal cost, nullify takes effect. If you don't pay the reveal cost, the spell does nothing and is discarded. Note that Block functions similarly. It is revealed if you are attacked, it only works if you are willing and able to pay the reveal cost.
"See you space cowboy..."

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
Perfect thanks.  That is what I was thinking.  Since this person seems to like to always trigger Nullify with a buff I shall use their own Bear Strength against them! :)

I really like the idea of quick casting a Reverse Magic in there though.  That would be a nasty surprise for them.