May 01, 2024, 06:42:46 PM

Author Topic: Magical Adventurer's League (role play material)  (Read 4975 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Magical Adventurer's League (role play material)
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
Inspired by Pokemon, which I obviously do not own. I also of course do not own Mage Wars. Everything that does not belong to me belongs to whoever does own it.

This is role play material written by a fan. It was not written by Arcane Wonders. It takes place far into the future at an indefinite time in history, so that it does not contradict the actual storyline.
----------
Something had changed in the world. This was not how things were supposed to be. When had everything gone wrong?

It was the fools of Sortilege who'd done it, long ago. Some idiots had opened a door to another world--well, more like accidentally smashed a wall in, and when they had come back, they knew how to create them: the C-orbs.

C-orbs were magical artifacts that could capture and artificially contain any creature that it struck hard enough by converting that creature into an enchantment on the C-Orb. When C-orbs were first invented, its inventors decided to attempt to learn about all the kinds of creatures in the world by capturing a small sample of EVERY species in C-orbs and bringing them back to Sortilege to study them.

Naturally this made a lot of important people very angry. The world of Etheria was on the brink of war against Sortilege as it raced to capture and record the data of all the sentient species in Etheria before the war could begin.

They failed, of course. Most of the legendaries eluded them. No one successfully caught Togorah, or Adramelech, or the famous sniper, Grimson, etc. Straywood led the invasion of Sortilege along with all the nations who'd had creatures captured from their midst.

And now, in the present day, Sortilege is a protectorate of Westlock, and it is illegal in almost every nation in the world to capture any sentient creature in a C-Orb. Also, new C-orbs have been invented that can catch other types of spells.
---------------
Rules can be found here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14060.0
---------------
HALL OF FAME

--------
What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:54:00 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

lettucemode

Re: The Encyclopedia of Creatures (role play material)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Interesting, this could be a fun setting if one were to run a scenario with it.

I assume that any creatures you catch are put into your spellbook? From memory that is how Pokemon works but you did not say so explicitly. Can you capture opponent's creatures?

Have you done any design for the gym or "elite four" encounters? The player will only have like 7 cards for the first fight, how will that work?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
The Encyclopedia of Creatures (role play material)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Interesting, this could be a fun setting if one were to run a scenario with it.

I assume that any creatures you catch are put into your spellbook? From memory that is how Pokemon works but you did not say so explicitly. Can you capture opponent's creatures?

Depends on the opponent and whether you have enough C-orbs. Technically creatures are always catchable, but if you steal a non-sentient creature controlled by another mage, or if you capture any sentient creature that is not a wanted criminal, then you will become a wanted criminal yourself in the nation that you make the capture, and anyone who knows what you did can capture you as well.

At the start of a combat encounter/arena match, a mage can have up to 12 levels total worth of creatures contained in C-orbs attached to them. They do not start in the spellbook. However, a creature that's higher level than a mage will not always obey the mage and will use its action in a random way which may or may not benefit the mage.

When a mage either runs out of creatures contained in C-orbs (they're all in the discard pile or obliterated) or their damage is increased to be equal to or greater than their life they lose.

Creature spells cannot be in the spellbook.

Have you done any design for the gym or "elite four" encounters? The player will only have like 7 cards for the first fight, how will that work?

I haven't designed the Arena masters or the 4 Grand Masters yet. Each of them will use a different sized spellbook depending on the number of badges the challenger has.

Actually I'm now thinking C-orbs should be able to catch any type of spell not jut creatures.

Update: rules can be found here:  http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14060.0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:06:51 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.