May 06, 2024, 03:02:18 AM

Author Topic: Augmented Reality Mage Wars in real time!  (Read 2300 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Augmented Reality Mage Wars in real time!
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
Rules

Channeling is per minute and is continuous in real time

i.e.

Beastmaster channels 9 mana per minute; 3 mana every 20 seconds (6 and 2/3 mana per second)

Wizard channels 10 mana per minute, or 1 mana every 6 seconds, 1/6 mana every second.

Range is measured in actual distance, line of sight is measured in straight lines in all directions.
When a mage is pushed or teleported everything in the game but them stops moving so that mage/player can walk to the target destination.

Creatures are each set with a "nature" that determines how likely it is to use its action in certain ways automatically when you aren't telling them what to do. For instance an aggressive nature means they are most likely to use their action to attack. A timid nature means they are most likely to retreat and heal or otherwise protect themselves (like if there is a renewing spring nearby). A defensive nature means they will most likely guard when there's another friendly creature or conjuration in range, or they will heal another friendly creature of conjuration.

Of course a creature cannot do something that isn't written on their card.

No hindering. If you want to chase enemy creatures for short distances go ahead. But it's not mandatory. You can choose not to.

The fast trait, slow trait and elusive trait can't be applied to mages. They can still be stuck or crippled however.

Some conditions like slam stun and daze don't work the same way on mages. When a mage is stunned they are held (restrained but teleporting can't remove this effect) and for one minute can't cast spells that take longer than 3 seconds to cast. When a mage would be slammed instead they are held for 5 seconds before getting dazed. If a mage is dazed that decreases the angular distance from your attack a defender has to dodge by or increases the time interval in which they can block it (defense). Ranged attacks always have a slight homing effect. They will curve towards their target once. Unavoidable attacks are very fast and will be considered to have hit you even if they pass right by you unless an interceptor/Forcefield/etc gets in the way.

If any of you ever gets an oculus rift I hope you decide to create this!

Anything else i should add?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:58:02 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Augmented Reality Mage Wars in real time!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Nice ideas. This would be a very ambitious project for a studio, though, let alone a single game developer.

Tried to make a computer-based real time mage duel game once (based on Spellbinder, not Mage Wars). It is harder than you might think, even without the VR.