May 04, 2024, 11:42:28 AM

Author Topic: Blackest Night (The Dead Shall Rise)  (Read 2519 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Blackest Night (The Dead Shall Rise)
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
This is my submission for the commons section of the Library :)

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Blackest Night[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA01]1 x Arc Lightning[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNW02]2 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J24]1 x Temple of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ04]1 x Graveyard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ13]1 x Ziggurat of Undeath[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]2 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAWLC01]1 x Afflicted Demon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]1 x Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC04]1 x Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC23]1 x Zombie Crawler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC24]3 x Zombie Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC22]3 x Zombie Brute[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC19]2 x Venomous Zombie[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAWLE02]1 x Curse of Decay[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]1 x Theft of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]5 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]2 x Curse Item[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]3 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q09]1 x Wispwillow Amulet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]1 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI04]1 x Mend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI04]1 x Force Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI06]1 x Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI01]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]2 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

T1 - graveyard and amulet
T2 - deploy crawler, death ring, cloak
T3 - deploy venomous zombie and cast zombie minion

From there you can react to what your opponent is doing by retreating, nullify, curse item, seeking dispel, tanglevine etc. 

A closer look at some of my card choices:

Ziggurat of Undeath - This is the card this book revolves around. Cast this as far away from your opponent as possible once there are about 4-5 zombies out.  A rise again cost 3 sbp and 2 mana + X mana for a 1 time use. This cost 8 mana, so that is like casting 4 rise again cards, but it only cost 2 sbps and 1 action.  And it can be used as many times as you want in a round, provided you have the mana.  If you have 13 mana you can reanimate 2 creatures for 5 mana each and then have 3 mana to enchant, heal, seeking dispel, chant of rage, etc.  I also chose this over animate dead because it does not require a full action for a 1 time use. Sure, I could mage wand animate dead, which is a very fun trick, but animaye dead still requires a full action, cost 3 sbp, and reanimates the creature in your mage's zone.  With the ziggurat, the creature reanimates where it was killed; this is providing you with better board control because a creature turned into a zombie has the slow trait, not lumbering, and is better for them to come into play in a zone where enemies are to get the best bang for your buck. 
And, as an added bonus, for the first kill of the round you not only can reanimate that creature but you get mana on the graveyard :)

Graveyard - This is my preferred necro spawnpoint, over the libro - 1 dissolve will not take it out and it can gain more than 1 mana per turn if you kill creatures :) The graveyard also works very well with the ziggurat! You kill their creature, gain mana on the graveyard, then reanimate it.  This can be seen as a way to offset some of the mana cost for the ziggurat as it fuels your zombie horde! The wraith can also only be deployed from the graveyard, not the libro, so that is another factor in choosing this. Regardless, it is an excellent spawnpoint!

Idol of Pestilence - I would cast this card mid to late game as opposed to as early as possible like my other necro books.  The reason being is that you don't want an enemy creature to be attacked early on by a zombie and then have them die during the upkeep from the idol :(  Once you have established a good horde, throw it out.  Alternatively, if they want to focus down your ziggurat, throw it out then and it could be a distraction long enough for you to get them out of there and/or wall it off.

Chant of Rage - This is the bread and butter of this book.  This book is a very long game book and you do not want to rush your zombies in 1 at a time, no matter what kind of zombie book you run.  So, just chant of rage any creature you want and make them come to you 1 at a time.  By doing this you are almost guaranteed a zombie to kill an enemy.  I have found that the lower level zombies that I run are all pests so they are always ignored.  Chant of rage takes care of that too. Guard with a venomous zombie, chant of rage the enemy, and have the potential to have 5 or 6 dice (if the enemy was damaged before the initial counterstrike) and 2 tainted conditions on that creature.  Just from that 1 attack another zombie should be able to lumber in and kill it off if it has not died already.

Afflicted Demon - the chance to throw weak conditions on an enemy is fantastic as it helps keep the zombies alive and also works with the plague master ability.  I have him in here for that and also once he has served his purpose I can just have a zombie maul him and then reanimate him.

Temple of Light - This card cost me 6 sbp but I can afford it.  I have it in here for the extra attack as well as for a mirror match.  One nice thing about this, though, is that it also gets a bonus from the ziggurat of undeath as it is also a temple.  It's not much but every little bit helps and if i can use it to keep pressure on and get a few daze/ stuns out there then it served its purpose.

Gravikor - I recommend this for every necromancer!  Maim wings is great but for board control, I dont want to cast 3-4 maim wings so my zombies can kill creatures.  I would rather pay the mana once and have the effect all the time.  It is also a sturdy conjuration so that helps! But i highly highly recommend this in necromancer books!

Force Wave - This card works wonders with zombies! If 1 or more enemies are more than 1 zone away, just force wave your zone of zombies and then they can move in and attack. Likewise, forcewave your new zombies from the ziggurat since they are slow they cannot move and attack; this way you are not wasting a turn moving. I would say this card could be just as an important target for mage wand as mend and zombie frenzy.

Curse Item - Throw this on any equipment giving you trouble! Some targets I will throw it on are harshforge plate, mage/elemental wand, vet belt, sunfire amulet. These are just a few of the key spells I like to put this card on but it will vary game to game depending on what your opponent has. My main point for this card, though, is the range 2. With the cloak you want to stay at range 2 or greater. This allows you to punish them for their equipment without getting in range of a dissolve.

Arc Lightning - This is unavoidable and has a daze/ stun chance.  I chose this over flameblast because I dont want to have my target burn to death instead of a zombie killing it.  I also chose this over surging wave because I can target flying creatures and if they get pushed I do not want to have to chase them down, lumbering is not ideal for that situation :/

The graveyard, ziggurat, zombies, and chant of rage combo so nicely together and make the book a blast to play!  It is a long game book and requires patience, but endure that and you can have a horde maul the faces off your foes! 

And before anyone asks what i would do against a necro mirror match...i would be SOL and just have to roll with the punches until the end.

The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand, the dead shall rise!

— Black Lantern Corps Oath

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:50:45 AM by drmambo23 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Blackest Night
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
I'll personally attest this book is the real goods.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.