May 02, 2024, 10:53:22 AM

Author Topic: Forcemaster Control  (Read 3948 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forcemaster Control
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:18 PM »
Have tried a few different versions of this book with mixed results. This book aims for a long game. With hard mana denial I limit my opponent to only a few creatures which I control.  All the while I am gradually tooling up with the forge. In the end my opponent won't have much out and I'll be in his face with Galvitar and a Forcefield which probably means that I win.

Forcemaster

Attack
2 Force Hammer

Conjuration
Battle Forge
2 Enchanter's Wardstone
Mana Siphon
Mordok's Obelisk
Supression Orb

Creature
Invisible Stalker

Enchantment
Armor Ward
2 Bear Strength
Charm
2 Essence Drain
Mongoose Agility
Nullify
Decoy
Falcon Precision
Mind Control
Force Crush
Poisoned Blood
2 Forcefield

Equipment
Enchanter's Ring
Elemental Cloak
Eagleclaw Boots
Dancing Scimitar
Psi Orb
Wand of Healing
Mage Wand
Galvitar
Regrowth Belt
Gauntlets of Strength

Incantation
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
2 Force Push
Drain Power
Battle Fury
Purify
Teleport

The plan is turn 1 (20): Battle Forge (8) in front of me, Enchanter's Wardstone (4) in middle back row
Turn 2: (18 + 1): deploy Enchanter's ring (1+1), Probably drop Orb and Obelisk in back row opposite corners if I think my enemy will summon creatures (16)
Turn 3: (11 + 1): deploy gauntlets (2+1), FD Armor Ward (1), FD Nullify (1). get into position to drop mana siphon turn 4

Play it by ear from there. Invisible Stalker is there just because it's nice to have a little backup at times.
Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:09:46 PM by sshroom »

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster Control
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
I suppose the first question is: what does the forcemaster bring to the table here that you couldn't get from another mage (in particular, a wizard)?

The idea of a long-game oriented forcemaster is interesting, but it needs to be something that can only be done using the forcemaster.

Of the cards you have there, [mwcard=FWE01]Charm[/mwcard], [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard], [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard], and [mwcard=FWQ04]Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard] are really the only ones unique to the Forcemaster, and none of them really scream 'long game'. Upkeep costs cripple you in the long run, and Orb/Obelisk will be destroyed in a long game, after which your opponent can overpower you.

If you do intend to mind control all your enemy's creatures (definitely an intriguing idea, with the wardstones), you will likely need more than 1 mind control.

I think a wardstone-enhanced forcemaster is a great idea, since the forcemaster has some of the most powerful (if expensive) enchantments. If you want to go this route, you should add more copies of impressive enchantments like charm and mind control. Also, if you plan on a long game, drop the Invisible Stalker and add some thoughtspores instead. You can protect them with one-off enchantments like block/reverse attack/brace yourself. Sleep is another great spell to stock up on.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:08:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply! The reason for selecting Forcemaster as opposed to Wizard is twofold
1) We generally don't play Wizards in our meta as we consider them overpowered
2) Forcefield. If I can keep my opponent with few or no creatures who can attack me effectively forcefield makes me nigh invilnerable. Meanwhile I am striking for 7 dice pierce 2 each action.
By controlling creatures I don't necessarily mean just mind control. I mean rendering them either unable to threaten me (charm or force crush or positional control) or so costly to my opponent that keeping them around prohibits him from threatening me in other ways (essence drain orb obelisk). Mind Control is so costly and necromancers see some play around here so having 2 seems really risky. Another charm might be really nice though.
I expect orb and obelisk will be destroyed and siphon too but time my opponent spends doing this is time I can use to build up to my desired end state. Stalker I would probably only ever summon after orb and obelisk are down so I don't end up eating my own upkeep boosters. Thoughtspores seem like too much work to keep alive. Sleep is an excellent suggestion. I definitely should try to get one or two in.
Thanks again

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:45:32 AM »
I would take more Dispel or else you could face a situation, where you have Agony and Enfeeble on you and can't get rid of it.

More Dissolve, Acid Ball or Rust could help you against full armored and regenerating enemies, that can prevent you from dealing any damage.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:58:42 AM »
Only 44 spells for a control build? If you are playing for the endgame you need more than that or else you might run out of spells which would be really awkward.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
Really have never had the problem of running out of spells. My late game actions will be attacking with Galvitar so don't need spells then.

gerni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »
I only played a couple of games with the FM lately, but I might contribute to the discussion.

Firstly, I can #2 Schwenkgott: Since you are the only threat to the enemy mage, I is quite action efficient to cripple you with enchantments or Stranglevine/Tanglevine. You absolutely have to have enough spells to get rid of these shutdowns. I would take more Dispels and a Dispel Wand and a second Purify.

Then, you have no armor. Relying on the defense and Forcefield (so expensive) is very dicey. With Knockdown, Tangle/Stranglevine, Falcon Precision there are so many options to get around Defense. I'd recommend going for the leather stuff and a proper chest.

About mana denial: You invest so much resources (mana and spellbook wise) that I don't think the FM is the right mage to play this style. As ACG said, the wizard can use these tools to greater efficiency.

That being said, I think one can play the FM as a control late game mage. But I think it is more efficient to control space and deny creature heavy play.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:47:12 AM by gerni »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid