May 03, 2024, 03:53:49 AM

Author Topic: Jinx and spellbinding  (Read 5053 times)

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Jinx and spellbinding
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Hi,

In our game tonight I revealed Jinx when my opponent was using his Mage Wand with a bound spell.

After searching we found some posts that seemed to agree that the bound spell goes back into the owner's spellbook. Is this correct, any official ruling on this?

Now, if the spell goes back into the spellbook, does the mage in question have to pay 3 mana and a quick action to "change" the spell back to his/her wand or can he/she just put it back without the costs (action and mana)?

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jinx and spellbinding
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
Quote from: "Bjorne" post=6644
Hi,

In our game tonight I revealed Jinx when my opponent was using his Mage Wand with a bound spell.

After searching we found some posts that seemed to agree that the bound spell goes back into the owner's spellbook. Is this correct, any official ruling on this?

Now, if the spell goes back into the spellbook, does the mage in question have to pay 3 mana and a quick action to "change" the spell back to his/her wand or can he/she just put it back without the costs (action and mana)?

This is by no means official, but I would say that Jinx 'assumes' that generally, a quick spell is coming from the mages chosen two - and in this case it gets sent back to their book. In this case the spell is bound to the wand, so it delays the spell and refunds the mana, but the spell stays put on the wand.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Good call this is the way I have ruled it before. It tries to return the card but since the card is bound Jinx can not return it. But it does stop the copy of the spell
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
reading jinx and mage wand leads me to believe the spell should go back to the book.

a) neither wand nor spellbind says anything about a copy of the bound spell. it specifically states you my cast the spell bound to it.

b) jinx literally states in the card effect that the spell needs to be returned to the book. this overrides normal behavior. IE normally the spell would go to the discard. in the wands case it normal just stays on the wand. jinx overrides this normal behavior

c) i see no reason to not allow this utility in jinx

d) i see no reason that a quick action + 3 mana could not be done to simply reapply the spell to an empty wand.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:09 PM »
Quote from: "residualshade" post=6651
reading jinx and mage wand leads me to believe the spell should go back to the book.

a) neither wand nor spellbind says anything about a copy of the bound spell. it specifically states you my cast the spell bound to it.

b) jinx literally states in the card effect that the spell needs to be returned to the book. this overrides normal behavior. IE normally the spell would go to the discard. in the wands case it normal just stays on the wand. jinx overrides this normal behavior

c) i see no reason to not allow this utility in jinx

d) i see no reason that a quick action + 3 mana could not be done to simply reapply the spell to an empty wand.

This is how I read it.... and to be honest how Id "like" to rule it, but thats because Im biased and love Jinx, so seeing it as a tool to also hamper wands would just make me happy.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
In the rulebook spellbinding explicitly states that if the spell is countered it is not discarded. Jinx cancels the current cast and the spell goes back on the wand.

The neither the spell nor the wand would be returned.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »
100% correct see what I get for making a quick post at work

If you would like the full rules write up I can do it but most people ask for the short answer. :)  Been asked to try to keep thing a bit easier to read than my normal rules wall of text
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:10 AM »
Great, thanks for the clarification!

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=6660
100% correct see what I get for making a quick post at work

If you would like the full rules write up I can do it but most people ask for the short answer. :)  Been asked to try to keep thing a bit easier to read than my normal rules wall of text

i would love to know the full deal on this. as to me it seems like jinx should be returning the spell to the book. at best we have two effects overriding normal behavior. the wand prevents the spell from being discarded, and jinx returns it to the book. when two effects try to override the same event usually the newer one takes precedence.

alex02144

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
What about if you try to change the bound spell but you have a Jinx on you?

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
hmm. good question. the binding action is called a quick spell. really hard to call as how mage wars works abilities on cards is a gray area.

my initial thought is jinx would block the bind, but not return the spell.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
Unless Bryan or TJ gets to it first I will answer both this weekend

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
Sorry all did not have time to do this after going to and playing in all 5 Gatecrash prerealease events. That ended up being 23 rounds of tourney play plus 3 hours of deck building. I will see how things work out in the next 2 weeks because I am on the 1pm-10pm. After that I am back to 7am-4pm.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
I am sorry I just now found this post and took so long to respond!

Spellbind bypasses rules which normally discard a spell. The spell is bound to the wand, and is not destroyed or discarded, whether it is cast or countered. In the case of Jinx, the cancellation effect is considered being countered, and the bound spell still remains on the wand.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Good to Know and Thanks for the reply.