May 11, 2024, 09:57:13 AM

Author Topic: Seeking Dispel vs Arcane Ward  (Read 5807 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Dispel vs Arcane Ward
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
Where I do have an issue is proving which enchantment is protected by arcane in a stack of face down (FD) enchantments, without showing you placing arcane ward on a specific enchantment.

By the rule you can never mix up the order that a stack is in and each enchantment played is placed at the end or top of the stack. To allow stack manipulation gives the opponent hidden knowledge and thus moots the point of the hidden protection of Arcane Ward.

EG

3) Force Orb (FD)
2) BS (FD)
1) Brace (FD)
MAGE

I wish to enchant BS with Arcane Ward, however by the rule it must be time-stamped in spot 4. There is nothing stopping me from later claiming I have Arcane warded the force orb or brace if it is targeted by Seeking Dispel. I am not a cheater myself, however there is room for it here.

You would place it specifically on the Bear Strength (and point out/show in some way that the BS is now enchanted, commonly done by rotating the ward 90 degrees). There is no hiding an arcane ward in a stack on the mage since Arcane Ward cannot target a mage
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »

2) The Jinx would trigger if you are targeting Arcane Ward and the Arcane Ward would trigger if you are targeting Jinx.

If you target AW, the jinx triggers (counter spell step)... both are gone.

if you are targeting the jinx, AW triggers during the declare step... and saves the jinx.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »

2) The Jinx would trigger if you are targeting Arcane Ward and the Arcane Ward would trigger if you are targeting Jinx.

If you target AW, the jinx triggers (counter spell step)... both are gone.

if you are targeting the jinx, AW triggers during the declare step... and saves the jinx.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.  There is an optimal play and that is to target the Ward.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
That seems perfectly clear. When the spell is targeted is the Declare Spell step. Refund any mana spent is also clear, since at this point you haven't spent any. So, you get a refund of 0. What's not covered?

Hang on arcane ward refunds mana? How did I forget that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.