May 09, 2024, 02:27:46 PM

Author Topic: This is the Earth Wizard 2.0  (Read 13548 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
This is the Earth Wizard 2.0
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
Super sick plays this has not. This, to me, is a solid big creature build that really comes together in the mid game. Iron Golem and Archer is your ideal big plays. Here, let me post the list before I go into an real strategy of the deck:

4 Hurl Boulder
2 Hail of Stones

2 Battle Fury
2 Sleep
3 Charge
1 Purge Magic
2 Seeking Dispel
2 Dissolve
2 Sniper Shot
2 Teleport
1 Steal Enchantment

1 Darkfenne Hydra
2 Iron Golem
1 Gorgon Archer

1 Deflection Bracers
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Moonglow Amulet
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
2 Elemental Wand
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Mage Wand
1 Enchanter's Ring
1 Arcane Ring
1 Battle Forge

3 Dispel
2 Wall of Stone
2 Mana Crystal
1 Quicksand

2 Decoy
1 Reverse Magic
2 Turn to Stone
2 teleport Trap
1 Bear Strength
2 Nullify
1 Block
1 Circle of Lightning
1 Hawkeye
1 Reverse Attack

So, the basics of this deck is to start by mana crys/battle forge, and then next turn amulet/mana crys. With that, you can start by pumping out golem and golem. Then your archer. Mage Wand with Charge is almost a must, and does so much for you here. As soon as you take half damage, regrowth belt. You need to protect your forge, but it's not so important that you need to take your eyes off the prize, which the enemy mage. As soon as they take half damage, you want to battle forge out an Elemental Wand with a Boulder attached. And then you want to smash as much face as possible. You want to start holding battle fury in hand. This is a purely damage book under the guise of big creatures. They will deal you damage, sure! but they will also be the decoys, the damage takers you need so that you can smash boulders on their face as much and as fast as possible. I hope you all enjoy, and I would love to hear your thoughts!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:30:36 PM by padawanofthegames »
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: This is the Earth Wizard 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
My Earth Wizard is all about building up 2-3 Iron Golems and/or Earth Elementals, trapping my opponent in a zone with them and a Poison Gas Cloud using Teleport spam (possibly from Huginn), Force Hold, and Walls of Stone, and then tearing them into little pieces with my creatures while I drop rocks on their head. Your build looks pretty different.

Could you organize your list by card type? I'm having a hard time figuring your list out from looking at it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »
Cleaned up for you!
Always carry a towel...

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
Thank you. That's much easier to read.

That seems like a pretty decent control build, but it doesn't have the best options for being all about damage output. Gorgon Archer is an awesome control creature, but she's terrible at dealing damage for her cost. Also, have you considered running an Eagle Wings for her? If you want to be all about damage, you really don't need so many control cards like Gorgon Archer, Sleep, and Turn to Stone.

Why do you run Bear Strength? You can't cast it on Iron Golems, and Darkfenne Hydra only gets the boost to a single attack in the triplestrike. You don't have a strong melee option for your mage, so it seems a little out of place. I suppose you can make attacks for 5 dice with your mage, but you'll probably have better things to do.

You should probably run 4 Teleports. They're cheap to include, and they're really good for position control support for Iron Golems and Darkfenne Hydra. It's also helpful in keeping things away from your Gorgon Archer. It's much more flexible than Charge.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:00:29 AM »
Bear Strength is actually in there as a bluff in the end game, so that my wizard can get in there. It's not used every game, but when I need that damage, it does seem to do a lot.

Archer, for me, isn't about the damage output. She's what puts the mage in position TO start striking them down with golems. Often players think getting in the same zone saves them, but in actuality she acts as fantastic bait for my golems. Eagle wings seems good, and I will have to try it, but again, for me she is more about being bait than anything, and she does a fantastic job at it.

I am considering removing one turn to stone and a sleep, but these cards are so good at stopping Lord of Fire that they are kind of necessary. It also stops Vampiress which can be a problem for this build.

Four of teleports is a sweet option and I will be testing that ASAP.

And as a side note, Hydra has been the least effective creature for me at this point, and I would like to try something different. Maybe even an 8 point grizzly wouldn't be too terrible.
Always carry a towel...

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »
I may try using a Gorgon Archer as bait. That's an interesting idea, and it would give me a bit more diversity in my threats. I can't wait until Hurl Rock is released. It's so much more efficient than Hurl Boulder that it will be much easier to support.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »
it actually works really well, especially against that pesky Warlock, who is so afraid of Weak. And dude, Hurl Rock is going to kick ass. I'm just going to be saddened by the influx of Earth Wizards that will saturate the meta as soon as it's released. I still love hurl boulder, it's the most efficient Level 2 Attack spell, and it just does so much work against those *Ahem* good *cough* big flyers.
Always carry a towel...

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:42 AM »
And as far as baiting goes, I'm actually writing an article about that I will post soon, I hope it gives you a little more insight!
Always carry a towel...

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
I look forward to reading it.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:25 AM »
Very good build/write up...  Very similar to my earth wizard build.  Thumbs up. :)
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
I will but this into my test rotation and see how it works out.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 06:59:29 AM »
I just put this build into SB calculator and found it 123 points.
Attacks: 12
Creatures: 14
Equipments: 16
Incantations: 41
Conjurations: 12
Enchantments: 28

Just for info.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
I'm just going to be saddened by the influx of Earth Wizards that will saturate the meta as soon as it's released.

I just hope Water Wizard is a viable option. I would love to try that out. I don't know if it just in these forums, but people seem to love the Earth Wizard. I feel like the Wizard makes better use of the Earth spells than the Warlord does, which is kinda unfortunate.
"See you space cowboy..."

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
Ehh, I felt like it was kind of expected, only because there were so many people itching to try something besides Air and Fire Wizard. I do think we will see more Water Wizard once it's released for the same reason. And yeah, besides having a better base channeling, the Wizard has more support for a spell type strategy. What's interesting is what they will put out for the Warlord (besides Akirps Battle Fury), that will change exactly how he plays, because as it stands, he has the creatures, but not the support.
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
the war lord is  in need of a command familiar. for theme it would have to be ether
- general can cast any command (non bound, like a non flying raven)
- communication officer can cast a (re)bound non epic command spell (like wand).
- propaganda outpost (conjuration) like communication officer just a conjuration of course. like all outposts it has the non adjacent condition

like in real war you can cripple an army by killing the person giving the orders

note I will copy paste this in "spells I'll like to see" topic
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up