May 20, 2024, 03:36:57 AM

Author Topic: This is the Earth Wizard 2.0  (Read 13580 times)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: This is the Earth Wizard 2.0
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
this is similar to my earth wizard build when we were playtesting it.  although I used lots of large creatures.  I more or less would throw out a gate to voltari and mana crystals every turn.  I would summon hydras and other large arcane creatures with the gate while I ramped up my mana, at channeling 15 or so you cast an earth elemental every other turn or an iron golem every turn.  once you have the army up and running support it with teleports (preferably teleporting your target to your group of stompies) and attack with hurl boulder combined with sniper shot to handle any defenses you think are a problem
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »
@Klaxas: That sounds sick! How effective were you at getting up to that level of channelling without being beat down by more agressive opponents?

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 05:15:47 AM »
i dont know if it just my meta but i played my first 2 games of mage wars (where i wasn't teaching the game). and both times i found i had a creature or a Force Master in my face by turn 3. may i ask what is your opening strategy.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 12:55:30 AM »
Well, if I see that I do have an aggressive build, it is often better for me to take the initiative by attacking first, and attacking hard. I will usually run to the near center, and cast battle forge. The next round, I will full round a gorgon, and then face down a zone trap enchant in that zone. And then you use position control and large boulders to strategically cut the aggressive mages life total down by large chunks at a time, while making them incredibly weak. Iron golem if you really need, and you have the two rounds for the mage dropping back to heal up. and then it's just beat down to the win.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
I like that idea, what would you recommend if it is a mage and a large creature. I would be able to tpt the first one out. I have a grasp what to do with single mage and swarms now I need to learn for mage+ 1-2 creature.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:48 AM »
Your best bet is to ignore the large creature for as long as possible, while providing a large enough threat that the opposing mage will constantly have to position himself better. Again, when dealing with a large creature, there is generally a weakness inherent on that creature. Exploiting that weakness while still attacking will put you in the best position to win, not necessarily killing the threat, as that is what they want you to do. Generally being as aggressive as possible while prepping meta cards according to opposing mage's actions will null te big creature threat the opposing mage has. As well as ignoring and exploiting the big creature, countering with another ig creature that is hard to deal with will often allow the opponent to make the wrong play if your threat is long enough.

The trick is figuring out when the big creature is a threat, and when it's not, and then dealing accordingly.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MuRRe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
I also get it to 123 points  :(.
What should be cut?