May 15, 2024, 05:58:32 PM

Author Topic: Need help/advice  (Read 2082 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Need help/advice
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
I have been trying to set up mage wars organized play in the Columbus Ohio area for years without success. I simply don't have time to go to my FLGS at the same time consistently every week or two, and because of that I haven't been able to get Mage Wars organized play off the ground here and I'm guessing at this point that it probably isn't ever going to happen. Origins game fair has come and gone six times and we still have no organized play scene here. I don't have the time or a sufficiently predictable schedule to build up the community from the ground up single handedly, and there's no one else here who can do that. The only other competitive mage wars player here is sharkbait and I doubt he's going to be able to help with this any time soon if at all. And because it's impossible for me to find casual arena players here to play with, I'm extremely out of practice, as a lot of people noticed at Gen Con. I honestly am starting to think there's no way for me to stay competitive except to move away to somewhere that actually has a mage wars community, which won't be feasible until after I graduate from college if at all.

Im not sure what I should do now. I mean, it seems like the obvious solution is to stop playing arena competitively, don't buy any more arena expansions and just focus on Academy, and play arena on octgn only. The people I used to play Academy with don't want to play it anymore since I taught them Onitama, there's only one person that I managed to convince to play Academy, and I haven't had the chance to set anything up with him since before gen con. And since most people don't play Academy online, only Arena, that basically means I only have maybe a couple of people I can play Academy with, most of whom will be online only and will usually prefer to play arena instead. And the only times I will be able to play Arena offline is at conventions, and right now I probably have time for about one game of arena on octgn per week on average.

But I don't want the Arena expansions that I already bought to just go to waste.

What should I do?

Please help.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:22:08 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Need help/advice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »
Play on octgn and if you want to play locally find time to go to your flgs. The community cant grow if you dont put the time in.

You can go to friday night magic at your flgs before the event starts and just ask people if they are interested in playing another game. Not stealimg them from magic, bc you would be a dick to go to fnm and tell magic players to stop lol, but to just play another game that has magic elements and tabletop elements. Just an idea. That way you get some interest going before and also dont just go one day and sot there for 2 hrs before someone wants to play.
You can also call the flgs and set up a date to run demos. They will gladly work with you and promote it. But the hard part is finding time but you just have to make time. Do what you were going to do sat on friday, ride with a friend, take the bus, etc.

I understand not having time, though. I have 2 jobs , work 7 days a week, i cannot sit in a chair for more than an hour or so at a time, i have a family, and try to have a social life. I get building the community is hard when circumstamces dont happen to line up. But you have to make time!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »
Have you looked for players on Boardgamegeek?

The site has regional forums to monitor and request meetups, etc.

However, this usually requires that you have a means of transportation. If you are limited by public transport, then you would need to state this in your forum request for players.

Good luck.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:34 AM »
those are both excellent suggestions. the good thing about fnm is that generally the same people return each week. so your intermittent schedule will be less of an issue. just let them know things are hectic for you at the moment and you will return, just you are not sure when.

and magic players have the easiest time absorbing the mechanics of the game as well as having a good grasp of the various conditions intuitively. it is much easier to teach them by using terms they know such as instant, priority, morph, etc to convey how certain spells work.