May 17, 2024, 03:13:30 PM

Author Topic: How do you play forcemaster?  (Read 7765 times)

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How do you play forcemaster?
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »
How do you play Forcemaster? Forcemaster may be strong but one-man army seems over the top. She doesn't have much attack spells and the Forceblade seems like her only damage option besides Psyloks and Stalker. Her Force Field can be dispelled or be useless against mass creatures. She seems very hard to play

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: How do you play forcemaster?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
Welcome to the forums Phillus!!!
I have been running a force hold with nullify on the opponent (To keep it held) and then I have four thought spores that will have dissolve. dispel. and force hammer or something like it. I will pull the opponent to the middle of the arena, force hold, then nullify. and then have a thoughspore on each adjacent zone....just sticking it to them. Once they run out of dispel.....the game is kind of broken to be honest...there is nothing else they can do if Im out of range but attack the thought spores with spells...and then I will spellbind the last spore with a heal....Mighty jerky combo, I know, but if you wish to enter the arena with me...Make peace with your Gods!
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
When should i summon the thoughtspores?
How can i have enough mana to do all of that?

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
I use battle forge, that gives you some mana and action, I have been doing force hold first, she will build up mana fast, if you are spending round after round just attacking with her...and you should be.

Double post...If I ever sound stupid...I blame my horrible Kindle...I hate using my kindle so much....makes double post auto correct is terrible and two out of the three times I have ever sent a privet message....I bet the mods thought not only do I  make zero sense, but that I dont know how to use the english language.....I read them some time after I sent them....I must of looked so stupid!
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »
I use battle forge, that gives you some mana and action, I have been doing force hold first, she will build up mana fast, if you are spending round after round just attacking with her...and you should be.
Within Shad0w.

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
How do i get close to their mage besides using forcepull?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=10068

Double post...If I ever sound stupid...I blame my horrible Kindle...I hate using my kindle so much....makes double post auto correct is terrible and two out of the three times I have ever sent a privet message....I bet the mods thought not only do I  make zero sense, but that I dont know how to use the english language.....I read them some time after I sent them....I must of looked so stupid!

That's why I got an iPad. Well that and the fact that Summoner Wars was only coming out on iOS. It turned out to be a good decision too, since MW came out that has taken up all my face to face gaming time and that is the only platform I play SW on now.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »
Quote from: "Phillus" post=10072
How do i get close to their mage besides using forcepull?

Are you using her base spellbook or are you customizing? It will make a difference.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:13 AM »
Oh, God....I couldn't not customize in this game if it cost me my left hand! (I play guitar with that hand!!!)
I just beat the solo buff equip warlock 3-0 and that has yet to be done in my group. (It is so different in every game, I will give a very, very general depiction)

Round 1:I will play battle forge and enchant myself with cheetah speed.
Round 2:Ring of force from battle forge. Thoughtspore with; dispel/dissolve, enchant myself with bear strength (or move and enchant)
Round 3:Galvitar from battle forge. Reveal cheetah speed if I have not already, Bear strength revealed.
Round 4: attack their battle forge, or mage. cast block or nullify or force hold or rhino hide.
OR: Round 4: Force pull, force hold....

Most times the enemy mage will 1. Rush me. or 2. build themselves up.(Buff) And I can do the same. Putting pressure on them early, or sitting their, summon thoughtspores while battle forge equips me and I cast alot of enchantments on myself.

The whole base of my deck, (And its not just any forcemaster deck) is to pull with the ability, FORCE HOLD, Nullify, DONT LOSE THAT FORCE HOLD, and have four Thoughtspores use dispel and dissolve, until the enemy mage is as defenseless as a new born, FORCE HOLD HIM, then attack with Galvitar.
You use battle forge, and the thoughtspores for all your other actions, so you can swing in with galvitar and Buff your mage with circle of fire, rhino hide, cheetah speed, vampirism, bear strength.

This might be the most confusing post ever....but its the best way to explain my spell book.
I have the most problems when I lose the thoughtspores to 1.flying creatures or 2. spells
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
I just want to point out that Nullify doesn't protect Force Hold very well. It only protects it from Purge Magic, not Dispel, which is the more likely choice unless you've stacked a bunch more enchantments on them. Dispel targets the enchantment, so Nullify doesn't trigger.

I like the idea of using Thoughtspores with Dissolve and Dispel, although I'd be a bit concerned that they'd get killed pretty consistently since they need to be at range 1 to strip my opponent's defenses.

The Forcemaster has fantastic position control options, and I got the idea for using a big slow creature to take advantage of that from someone in the BGG forums. Certainly an expensive option in terms of spell book construction, but it would broaden my attack options, which is something I was looking for for the FM.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Yes, the one with dissolve is very vulnerable with the range of one...I will put block on them often. This deck has been working best fighting solo mages, with the BM I have to use the thoughtspores defensively. I wish I could put in some slow creatures but that x3 for anything other then force creatures is such a restraint.... Nullify will also work with steal enchantment. This deck is a control deck all the way...you have to stall as long as you can, and then put the hurt on them once they run out of resources. I buff my mage and hope they spend all the resources targeting her.
Within Shad0w.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=10061
I have been running a force hold with nullify on the opponent (To keep it held)

Edit: Nevermind, sdougla beat me to it.

I second the thoughts on the Thoughtspores.  I usually give them attack spells, not support spells, otherwise I find that the FM doesn't deal enough damage on her own.  You really need to keep 2 zones between your Spore and the opposing mage, or else they'll slaughter it pretty easily.  A single Hurl Bolder or Fireball can reliably take them down if you're not extremely careful.  I find that I usually give my first one a Lightning Bolt, Arc Lightning, Invisible Fist or Force Hammer depending on my opponent and what he or she is doing.  

One Incantation that I've found to be pretty exceptional is Minor Heal on one in the later game.  Pretty much forces your opponent to attempt to kill you and your Spore prematurely or probably lose if the opposing mage can't heal the same way.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »
Like I said, I usual do use them late game, after the opponents resources are used up, block will help with the spells, And minor heal is one of the ones I always use in the end for sure.

I dont like to use to many attack spells with this stratigy, since I dont have much mana due to upkeep. Really my deck is just to tear the opponent down. with her 10 attack dice a turn, (Bear strength) I have not had much problems with her damage. Then again, every thing is very "Local meta" right now. Which I like....I hate when I go to friday night magic now and every one has pro decks....takes the fun out of it. (Even though I get to sit there and win with my rouge cheep deck, since just copying a deck does not make it a winning deck, You got to know how to play first.)
Within Shad0w.

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Oops misread Forcemaster as non-force spells cost triple my mistake...

They always seem to one-shot my Thoughtspores...

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
I have had a lot of luck with the thoughtspores....I know they are easy to kill but....

Yeah, that triple for any nonforce creature is a bit of a limit. Better then the warlords arcane restrictions IMO though.
Within Shad0w.