May 15, 2024, 05:45:54 AM

Author Topic: New Player Mages.  (Read 2732 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
New Player Mages.
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »
I've got a number of new players training up and I was wondering which mage folks consider to be the hardest for new mages to learn. My picks are: Druid, Siren, and Paladin.

Obviously I encourage the four core mages as the easiest to learn.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Mages.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
I think before PvS, LG and Academy, Johktari Bm and Malakai Priest were the hardest,  followed by bloodwave Warlord, and then after that the forcemaster maybe. Johktari Bm had much fewer options without quick ranged weapons and she took A LOT of skill to figure out how best to use her compared to other mages.  And similarly, the malakai priest always had Mana/action issues if you didn't use him right. It took me forever to realize that (before he got more options in later expansions) he was mostly dependent on having a battle forge in order to do the stuff he wanted to do.

Bloodwave Warlord didn't play the way he seemed like he should intuitively. His battle orders were useless most of the time, and he didn't have any good ways to deal with enchantments without paying triple spell points. Basically the warlord was better off with a big buddy or a squad of lv2 or lv3 soldiers than a swarm of weenies. Goblins would always be picked off before they could get vet tokens. All of this is really hard for beginners to figure out.

However now that we have the Warlord expansion and the Forcemaster expansion and PvS and LG, Im not sure which is hardest to learn.

Maybe the adramelech warlock? I hardly ever see anyone using her demonic reward ability. It seems like she should be able to swarm but she never does it seems.

Also, I think people have a tendency to forget to use the wizard's voltaric shield? I've seen people use him on octgn but I don't see them use the shield much. So maybe other people find the wizard one of the hardest to learn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
Siren, Siren, Siren...

The life, the channeling, the 3-4 potential ways to play with none being all that easy to pull off. There's potential creature swarms, there's buddy builds with her larger creatures, there's board manipulation with pushes/pulls/walls/zone traps, and then there's the songs and creature manipulation. You've probably got to pick one of the 4 with support from one of the others and a general toolbox to take care of things which makes her really tough to build and then really tough to play.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Btw Devil I'm gonna do some "Mage Wars Training Days" on campus on Saturdays and/or Sundays next month. Could use a hand.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
Hardest to learn for new players:
1. Siren
2. Paladin
3. Druid
4. Priest

Just my opinions, but

Trying to figure out how to play to start off is a little tricky but fairly easy to grasp.
Add terrains low life and the precise board synergy needed of the siren and that makes her tough. Paladin due to auras and balancing offense and defense (cassiel).  Auras on top of everything else is tricky. The druid with learning what to play for board control and plants being easy to kill with no armor. But she is very easy to learn compared to siren. Priest only bc of trying to balance the holy schools defemse with his offense abilities. But the introduction of cassiel amd the new holy spells make it easier.

But like you said, start with the core set and then develope from there!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
I know I had a struggle learning Paladin and I'm hardly a new player. I've yet to see anyone local make an awesome Siren. The issue with Druid is the micro-managing needed.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »
As far as learning curve goes. 

Siren, Druid and Paladin are good choices.  Very tough to learn and keep track of abilities. 

Both Warlords, are tricky for newer players.  Joktari and priest have also have a hard time if they don't have newer expansions.