May 14, 2024, 03:41:13 AM

Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 3316 times)

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What do I need?
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »
Hi all,

Have just ordered the core set of this, and expect my brother to be at least one of my main opponents. I was wondering: if we're both using the same set, are there enough cards to divide between us and still be able to customize a set (as long as we play different mages)? Either completely freely (ideally), or else at least a reasonable way to divide them without us both drawing from the common set and having to negotiate...

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum Myrddin!!! It all depends on your play style. If your supper competitive, you may want to get two core sets. I ran one core set with multiple COMPETITIVE people for some time and still had the best time ever. It was even kind of fun with a "limited" card pool. But you should get plenty of cards to build whatever you want from one core set. (Remember that with most cards, 2-3 will be the most you want in your book. Its tempting at first to run 4 dissolves, but since there is no random drawing in this game it is just not necessary.)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=9253
Welcome to the forum Myrddin!!! It all depends on your play style. If your supper competitive, you may want to get two core sets. I ran one core set with multiple COMPETITIVE people for some time and still had the best time ever. It was even kind of fun with a "limited" card pool. But you should get plenty of cards to build whatever you want from one core set. (Remember that with most cards, 2-3 will be the most you want in your book. Its tempting at first to run 4 dissolves, but since there is no random drawing in this game it is just not necessary.)
Cheers. I'm not that competitive (at least not with those I'm playing with on that basis!) My concern was more practical: essentially, could I hand my brother half the cards to choose from and keep half myself to pick from without either of us missing obvious choices?

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15:20 AM »
The core set is very well self contained. I built up spell books for all four mages with just the core set purchase. the only additional purchase i did was buy two binders for the other two mages.
I have added the forcemaster warlord expansion too and that was self contained too, two mages two spell books. With this i still have around 200 spare cards and 6 spellbooks that feel pretty balanced.

The tomes and extra core sets are completely unnecessary. But admittedly i can clearly see the added power/competitiveness my books could get with extra copies of certain cards.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
I bought two core sets but....I cant stand to lose at anything. My group needed more copies and I wanted to provide that asap, and I build my own books four at a time so. Im happy with my two core sets to say the least, but you could easily use one. (I also got the core tomes but sold them after getting the second core.)
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
Also,

if you are both pulling from the same pool of cards, then it will make it fair as well.  My brother and I are very competative, especially with each other.  With each of us building different mages, it wasn't an issue.  The few cards we both wanted, we simply split up and since we both had the same limits placed on us, it worked out just fine.