May 11, 2024, 05:34:44 PM

Author Topic: The wolfmaster  (Read 6721 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
The wolfmaster
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]The wolfmaster[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Beastmaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ02]1 x Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ05]1 x Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]5 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ10]1 x Stranglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J03]1 x Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C13]1 x Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C29]1 x Redclaw, Alpha Male[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C38]1 x Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC02]1 x Dire Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01C21]4 x Wychwood Hound[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]1 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]1 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E07]1 x Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]2 x Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]2 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]1 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E05]2 x Dodge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E10]2 x Iguana Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E11]1 x Joined Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E13]1 x Panther Stealth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E16]3 x Wolf Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]1 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]2 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q01]1 x Emerald Elk Stave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q02]2 x Johktari Hunting Knife[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q25]1 x Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q02]1 x Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q18]1 x Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q05]2 x Packleader's Cowl[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I03]1 x Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]1 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPRO2]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPRO1]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I03]1 x Group Mend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]4 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

The basic idea in this book is to pin the enemy down in 1 zone and let my pack devour the enemy mage. To aid this I have 4 force pushes, 1 teleport, astral anchor, 5 tanglevines and 1 stranglevine. One of the biggest treats is when the opponent separates my hounds/mage from each other. Almost every round I will plan a force push or something like that. If I don't need to use it my mage will probably melee attack (with the knife)

Ideally a 5 mana (4 with ring) quickcast hound will have 2 armor, 7 life, 4 attack dice without any enchantments which is ridiculously good. If I make that hound my pet it will have 10 life, 3 armor and 6 attack dice without any enchantments for 7 (6) mana. If the opponent doesn't manage to escape my hounds they will probably die very quickly.

My mage uses his actions for positioning/summoning/support/melee attacks thus I need fellella because I need the action advantage over my opponent. In general she will be casting very cheap enchantments. More expensive ones like bear strength will probably not see the daylight.

Tooth & nail + wolf fury grants my wolves +2 piercing in total which is very neat and my first way to get around armor. rust/dissolve/dispel/acid ball are the secondary anti-armor utilities.

Since I want everything in 1 zone I summon mohktari around 50% of the games with great succes. I prefer Group mend over group heal since it costs less, but more importantly is a quick cast instead of a full cast. With the packleaders cowl I let the healtiest dog guard, during upkeep they can heal. Also, joined strength works amazing with the tree and if a dog would die I can move the spell without losing an action.

The timber/dire wolves are backup or when I feel I should change my strategy.

Call of the wild/rouse the beast are spells I want to use and could be very powerfull (extra 6 dice attack for only 1 mana) but for some reason I never take the card during the planning phase. I keep them in for the moment because there is potential for those spells.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:48:07 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: The wolfmaster
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »
As much a question as a suggestion: Would 2x Tooth & Nail be better than 1x Tooth & Nail + several Wolf Fury?  Or is Wolf Fury preferred because you intend to have Fellella around to cast your enchantments?

I'd probably try to up the count of Wychwood Hounds (to 6) and Astral Anchor (to 2) at the cost of some of the enchantments and equipment.  Maybe swap 2x Force Push for 1 more Teleport (?).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
one dissolve, one orchid, one rust, no crumble, only 2 acid balls, i know you can manage to get piercing 2, but still either add one of the first 4 or add another tooth and nail`?

max the hounds to 6. Will you really have mana for the direwolf? maybe take another timber or even a back up redclaw. for personal flavor I' take a second joined strength, even if its unique but its only lvl 1.cobra reflexes are quite expensive. what about one disperse instead of one dispel.

what about etherian lifetree? and if you go for mohktari i would ditch the iguana regrowth. why two moongoose when you want to go for pack? maybe more panther stealth or even ditch them, same for falcon precission, hardly will see many defenses? and if you have more creatures its ok if one is avoided. And another fox or hound is the same mana and could still attack? rather keep redclaw alive with "gator thoughness" i feel is better deal over rhino hide. I'm not sure about knochdown, it is only a one time use and one time throw to the ground, maybe main wings (fellela useable) or some falcons?

maybe another astral anchor. and probably another bear strength. I'd take a second regrowth so you are more surviveable

you have no anti-fire surviveablity, take a elemental cloak or a dragonscale or/and a geyser. maybe ditch also the second eagleclaw boots. and a second poisoned blood is always nice in rushy decks.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »
I'm not sure about knochdown, it is only a one time use and one time throw to the ground, maybe main wings (fellela useable) or some falcons?

I think the idea is Knockdown into Tanglevine.  If anything, I'd consider more than 1 Knockdown... but at some point you wonder if Gravikor is better.  Or Tarok.

Definitely disagree about Disperse/Crumble, as Beastmaster really wants his full action either to attack or summon a creature (in addition to the quick-cast level 1).  But I could imagine that another Dispel/Dissolve might be worthwhile.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »
I'm not sure about knochdown, it is only a one time use and one time throw to the ground, maybe main wings (fellela useable) or some falcons?

I think the idea is Knockdown into Tanglevine.  If anything, I'd consider more than 1 Knockdown... but at some point you wonder if Gravikor is better.  Or Tarok.

Definitely disagree about Disperse/Crumble, as Beastmaster really wants his full action either to attack or summon a creature (in addition to the quick-cast level 1).  But I could imagine that another Dispel/Dissolve might be worthwhile.

the bonus of crumble is you dont need to fish for nullify so you can use the quick action still to summon a creature and you won't be able mana wise to summon twice and if you want or need to tanglevine or push anyway saving those two mana can be nice if you need it anytime. of course melee is nice, so disperse can be dropped totally but crumble has other bonuses

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »
As much a question as a suggestion: Would 2x Tooth & Nail be better than 1x Tooth & Nail + several Wolf Fury?  Or is Wolf Fury preferred because you intend to have Fellella around to cast your enchantments?

I'd probably try to up the count of Wychwood Hounds (to 6) and Astral Anchor (to 2) at the cost of some of the enchantments and equipment.  Maybe swap 2x Force Push for 1 more Teleport (?).

I prefer the wolf fury with felella but nevertheless I'll try to add another one and another anchor.
Also: Felella & Redclaw don't come out every single game. Some of them I only use 1.

one dissolve, one orchid, one rust, no crumble, only 2 acid balls, i know you can manage to get piercing 2, but still either add one of the first 4 or add another tooth and nail`?

max the hounds to 6. Will you really have mana for the direwolf? maybe take another timber or even a back up redclaw. for personal flavor I' take a second joined strength, even if its unique but its only lvl 1.cobra reflexes are quite expensive. what about one disperse instead of one dispel.

what about etherian lifetree? and if you go for mohktari i would ditch the iguana regrowth. why two moongoose when you want to go for pack? maybe more panther stealth or even ditch them, same for falcon precission, hardly will see many defenses? and if you have more creatures its ok if one is avoided. And another fox or hound is the same mana and could still attack? rather keep redclaw alive with "gator thoughness" i feel is better deal over rhino hide. I'm not sure about knochdown, it is only a one time use and one time throw to the ground, maybe main wings (fellela useable) or some falcons?

maybe another astral anchor. and probably another bear strength. I'd take a second regrowth so you are more surviveable

you have no anti-fire surviveablity, take a elemental cloak or a dragonscale or/and a geyser. maybe ditch also the second eagleclaw boots. and a second poisoned blood is always nice in rushy decks.

I've never had a game where I needed 6 hounds, but the idea is good. I don't like etherian lifetree for this build since it's not really a swarm. I have a decent number of creatures but in general I have 3 or maybe 4 hounds and it will also boost the opponent. I prefer Mohktari. A second joined strength is something I might consider too.

I don't have much fire-safety but I don't think you always really need it. (no sbp left) My build is not really a rush book. I think it's more a early/mid-game build. The big wolves are for the really long games or if I don't use the hounds at all. (some random reason I think it's a bad idea to use them)

I also have the mage staff and a few attack spells for flyers. Knockdown can also be used for guards although I would probably use tanglevine. more than 1 knockdown would be nice but I costs even more spellbookpoints.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:48:27 PM by Halewijn »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]The Wolfmaster[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Beastmaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ05]1 x Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]1 x Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]5 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ10]1 x Stranglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J03]2 x Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J04]1 x Raincloud[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C13]1 x Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C29]1 x Redclaw, Alpha Male[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C38]1 x Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC02]1 x Dire Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01C21]5 x Wychwood Hound[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]1 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]2 x Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]1 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E05]2 x Dodge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E10]1 x Iguana Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E11]2 x Joined Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E16]3 x Wolf Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]2 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]2 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q02]1 x Johktari Hunting Knife[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q25]1 x Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q02]1 x Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q18]1 x Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q05]2 x Packleader's Cowl[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I03]1 x Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]1 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPRO1]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I03]1 x Group Mend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]3 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Update: with your comments in mind. for fire-protection I'll try raincloud. It can protect the zone and give regenerate. I'll probably use this vs warlocks instead of mohktari.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
for my personal flavor still 1 dissolve 1 rust and 2 acid balls.

lets see if you really have mana for tooth and nail and sufficient creatures.

but looks quite good. I still see this extreme elemental weakness, adramalech warlock will just eat you. can you get those two points for the dragonscale instead of bearskin? one brace one eagleclaw? or a geyser

do you have the actions to justify a wand of healing over a purify or minor heal?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:05:35 PM by Mystery »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:12:47 PM »
With all of the enchantments, I wonder if an Enchanter's Wardstone wouldn't be hugely helpful.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
hmm.. personally I wouldn't add it because I don't depend on the enchantments like DOT-builds do, but it might work. Also, not many opponents dispel buff-enchantments. (or only rhino hide)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
its more you dont really have the action to cast the wardstone

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
very, very true!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
Hi just a few thoughts/questions from the top of my mind:

1. Have you considered opening with 1-2 Mana Flowers? It slows you down, but Fellella, Redclaw and a few conjurations seems expensive.

2. Acid attacks and Raincloud don't go that well together. I'm thinking about removing raincloud and put Renewing Spring instead.(then id cut the Wand of Healing) Also id like another Corrosive Orchid or maybe even Devouring Jelly (instead of the Dire Wolf and the Timber Wolf?) A Spitting Raptor is only half the spellbook cost, and you might buff it..

You might just replace the Acid Balls for 2 extra Rust. Your opponent will have hard choices on how to use dispels. Keep Raincloud and forget about Acid attacks.

Fortified Position seems really nice if your going to try to keep the Battle in 1 Zone, and pretty good vs. Ring of Fire.

3. Cards im missing:

Mage Wand - just nice to always have Force Push or similar ready. Probably not worth the high spellbook cost as its going to be dissolved, but at least it puts you in range of the opponent mage.

Wall of Thorns - at least 1. Walls are nice and the fact that your level 1 hounds can go through the wall unhindered is just really good.

Force Wave. - 1 instead of one Force Push. Hard to use, but moving multiple creatures at once might be really useful. Still it might separate you from your creatures.

Divine Protection - you don't really have much armor. Best protection vs. the Thornpush.

Shift Enchantment - might come in handy to be able to move a zone enchantment.

Wychwood Faerie

Thunderift Falcon - might do some usefull work behind enemy lines.

Purify - always nice.

4. Cards id might cut to get some of the other stuff.

Stranglevine - upkeep is going to be a pain.
1 of each of the following:
Teleport
Brace Yourself
Dodge
Joined Strength
Hurl Boulder
Poisoned Blood
Maim Wings

and as I already indicated
Raincloud
Timber Wolf
Dire Wolf
Acid Balls
Wand of Healing
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 03:43:52 AM »
1) Fellella and redclaw are indeed very expensive, but I don't summon them both every time. It takes until turn 6 before you are break even with the flower which I feel is too late for me. It could work though.

2) Corrosive orchid/renewing spring/raincloud/acid ball/rust... all these cards get changed every iteration and you are certainly correct it could still improve. :P I wouldn't add a jelly though. The dire wolf could be left out, but I like him for when I feel my creatures need to be able to take a hit.

3)
Mage wand:  I don't have the actions/mana/spellbookpoints left for a wand. (In general I'm not a big wand-user)

Wall of thorns: I should add at least 1! thanks.

I tried force wave, but since I want to be in the same zone as the wolves, I have cut the card.

Divine protection is a very good idea! thanks

shift enchantment is a card that I always have in decks like these but almost never use. Good in theory, but hardly ever sees play because I don't have the actions. Astral anchor is my only zone enchantment and I have 2 copies of that.

I considered whychwood fairy as a useless card in Arena but I might have to reconsider since she saves mana and gives actions. The only problem is that she is a full cast.. I'll try it out.

Thunderrift falcon is not that strong for conjurations without buffs and If I summon a creature I want it to be a hound in general. You might be right, but I don't think I'll add it.

Purify is a card I cut out often, and regret it every time. (just as (seeking) dispel  ::) ) But hey, you are correct, I should keep it in.

Thanks for the cool feedback and ideas!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
19 Wychwood Faerie (4)
     Thunderrift  Falcon (6) - Pet

18  Fellella (12)
      Wychwood Hound (4)

Then move and cast a Hound each round.

That's what I had in mind. A pet Falcon isn't easy to kill early on, and I do think it can be used early to go after Enchanters Wardstone/Hand of Bim Shalla/Mana Crystal or some early damage on an enemy creature/mage.

You might replace Redclaw with Fortified Position and then maybe add a few Call of the Wild, Marked for Death, Rust and even Magebane/Poisoned Blood.

With all the enchantments you run Fellella seems more important than Redclaw.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever