May 11, 2024, 03:41:51 PM

Author Topic: Sardonyx and his minions  (Read 2952 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Sardonyx and his minions
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
I just had a blast with poopstar and I wanted to share my deck with the forum. I wanted to retry sardonyx WITH the necro, so this is what I've got. First of all I want to note that this is VERY hard to pull of. But since it is sooo awesome to do, it's all worth it. Secondly, I haven't actually won a game with it (but I think this is def. possible).

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Sardonyx_and_minions[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]1 x Devil's Trident[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ04]1 x Graveyard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J20]1 x Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W01]2 x Fog Bank[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]1 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]1 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x Armory[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC15]3 x Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]1 x Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC14]1 x Skeletal Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C32]2 x Skeletal Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC04]1 x Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]1 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]1 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]1 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]1 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPRO1]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I04]1 x Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]3 x Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I02]2 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI06]2 x Power Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I18]2 x Perfect Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I19]1 x Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Alright, what have I got?

- Devil's Trident, my only real attack spell. I picked this one because it is dark, and if can cripple the opponent. In general I want sardonyx to fight in one place.

- Force hammer & Grey wraith: My only ethereal attacks. It seemed the better option since my mage is no fighter and the mage staff will probably be useless. FH can also be used as a weak boulder if necesarry.

- 2x nullify, 3x dispel, 2x teleport, 1x seeking dispel: I really need to use sard. to the maximum, so some support is necessary. I even want another teleport to be honest. Maybe I'll add one in the future.

- Sacraficial altar and graveyard, to use that awesome and very well known sardonyx combo.

- Drain soul: I've heard comments that 1 drain soul and no drain life seems a bit pauver in this build. Although, these spells are expensive! I don't think they are worth adding in more than once.

- NO sunfire amulet and NO ring of death: Although these spells might seem perfect in this book I feel they slow me down too much. They cost 5-6 mana and need to be cast somewhere in the first 2 rounds. I want more momentum.

- mana crystal & meditation amulet: In general at the start of a game I try to meditate as much as possible. (3-6 times). I want a lot of mana to cast all my creatures.

- Gravikor and maim wings for the flyers.

- Fog bank & cloak of shadows: The deck is made for close combat. I don't want rangers/attack spells to take everything out from a distance. After schwenkgott killed my graveyard without any trouble I decided to add the fog banks. A real wall is of course not an option since the creatures still need to go trough.

- Creatures: basic minions & mort. not much to say about them.

- Astral anchor: again I don't want to move, but I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to cast it. I might take it out. Originally I had force hold for the combo but I took it out to save sbp.

- 1 charge, 2 battle fury's, 2 power strikes, 2 perfect strikes, 1 piercing strike: Since my creatures aren't living I cannot buff them with nature spells. I want these to power my skelletons when I need it. Will I ever use them all? of course not, but I want to be able to choose. At first, I also used a flank attack but I took it out to save sbp.

- Armory: This spell will never be used in the same game I use sardonyx. I took it in to use if I ever decide not using him and go full "mort and soldiers".

I an awesome game vs. a zombie brute&cursing warlock. I lost the game but I did come close when my skeleton knight attacked with 14 dice. He did protect with his scimitar but we "mutually" agreed the knight was too strong to block  ::). (I had lost anyway) Sardonyx had brought me down to 22 life.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:25:44 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sardonyx and his minions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
My druid is waiting for you  :P
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »
I agree, that to play Sardonyx, one have to cover 3 areas for him and 1 for mage.

- Set an "economy" for sardonyx (meditation amulet, crystals etc.)
- Boost and protect its investement into sardonyx (nullify, command spells)
- secure targets for sardonyx (Enfeeble, Devils trident etc.)

and for mage.

- Survive long enough

Now, lets look at your spells

Attack spells  - they are reasonable but i would put one more acid ball (sturdy mages) and one more Devils Trident (stuck is a golden condition here).

Conjurations

I would drop Graveyard, Sacrifical Altar, Armory and Gravikor. You can achieve much with curses. Armory is good for soldiers if you have more then Two out. I would add Poison Gas cloud. It can be playd offensivly or defensivly if your Necro will be standing in it.

Creatures

I will go with 1 Sardonyx, 2 skeletal minions (one as eternal servant) and 3 acolytes of bog queen and probably try to run altar of skulls as a plan B that will work as a great distraction for oponent. Should i deal with Sardo or Altar of Skulls? Acolytes will heal or add tokens on altar and even serve as sacrifation pawns while Guarding my necro (eternal servant will do that gladly).

Enchantements

I would add more curses - at least one plagued or ghoul rot. My goal would be to put a pressure on oponents mage. Time is on my side. Yes, i am loosing some healt each turn but you are loosing it faster. Agony and Enfeelbe are really doing miracles. Maim wings... well, mages dont fly and my main goal is to force my opponent to go into defense mode.

Equip

Dragon scale haulberk. This piece of equipment is (or was) an essencial item. But i think that his era will end soon.  We enter the era of "pants" and i would add elemental cloak. I would really like to hear about Demonhide armor. It is great against swamrs but Poison Gas cloud works better in this case. Cloak of shadows is a must! Did you consider Deathshroud staff?

Incantation

All those command spells are necessity because of the fact most enchantements doesnt work on non-living creatures. I would probably drop 1 dispel (my personal taste) and both Power strikes. I would rather focus onto casting more battle furys. Piercing strike is a great tool when you need to overcome armored target or conjuration but i would leave that to forcehammer and acid balls. Sometimes, you need for your dragon to attack a mage instead of conjuration.

i am doing this from the table and not actually after playing your book. So ignore me if you strongly believe in your book and having a fun with it :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
wow, Boocheck, :P
I really like your ideas, but you are changing 75% of my deck. You should make your own sardonyx necro!  :D

I'm not "believing strongly" in this deck, but I just hope I can make it a decent trait, which I think I can with this.

Equip

Dragon scale haulberk. This piece of equipment is (or was) an essencial item. But i think that his era will end soon.  We enter the era of "pants" and i would add elemental cloak. I would really like to hear about Demonhide armor. It is great against swamrs but Poison Gas cloud works better in this case. Cloak of shadows is a must! Did you consider Deathshroud staff?

As long as I cannot buy academy that era is not over!  8) I don't think it will take over because without a battleforge the leathers aren't really that good.

btw: with my warlock I've had some great succes with the demonhide armor.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:22:20 PM by Halewijn »
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
and vs the always possible 10dice fireballs a flame-2 something can come handy