May 14, 2024, 07:04:07 PM

Author Topic: Looking for a little disclosure  (Read 12869 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Looking for a little disclosure
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
Hey all, I had some questions I was hoping someone "in the know" could help me out with.  I have purchased the base set and a core spell tome so far and I'm really enjoying the game.  However, my friend and I have been talking about the value of purchasing another base set for the extra cards and components (we each own one already, but we are talking about buying a second one for each of us).  

My question is, can we please get some idea of which cards that are in the base set are going to be reprinted in coming expansions and how many copies will be produced?  I've seen some of the designers say they are going to reprint some of the cards in future expansions so that players can get more copies, and that's great, but without having any idea of which cards, in what number and when they will be released, it's creating uncertainty in regards to our purchasing product.  I'm sure other people are having this same hesitation.

Should I buy a second base set?  Will this be the only way to get multiple copies of things like Hellfire Lash or the Beastmaster's Staff or the Gorgon Archer or those other mage specific cards that there are only one of in the base set?  Does a second core spell tome make sense to buy, or will a lot of those cards end up appearing in other expansions?  If the designers would give us a little insight on this, they could probably give themselves a little boost in sales since we can purchase with confidence.  Right now, there's too much uncertainty, and no one wants to waste money on stuff they will end up not needing.  

Hopefully someone can shed a little light on this so that us crazy completionist types can figure out what exactly we need to buy to have the stuff we want.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a little disclosure
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
i cant say for sure.  but i am pretty sure most of the cards will be reprinted in expansions in the future.  the question is when....

many things are unsure, and there is a lot of things even the designers are still working out as far as how they plan to release expansions.

the question becomes how soon do you want the extra cards?  i believe the first expansion is planned for november if they havent pushed it back, and they may or may not do a spell tome at the same time.the really used cards (the dispells, disolves, nullify, block) im sure will be included with the new mages.

if you wanted a second lash of hellfire, or some of the more rare mage or school only cards, i would recomend buying a second set.  my guess is as far as the expansions go they will concentrate on making more common cards available first.

i myself plan on buying a second set. on top of the core spell tome i already purchaced i think after that i will wait for expansions.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure there is a lot they are still trying to nail down, I'm just hoping they might shed a little light for me.  And yes, I really want back ups to things like Hellfire Lash, because when your opponent knows you only own one, it is an easy choice as something to Dissolve because they know you can't get it back.  Having a back up on good items like that seems like a must have to me.  Plus, there are several non-legendary, non-epic creatures that appear only once in the core set and not at all in the core spell tome that I want more of (more Gorgon Archers please!).  

I'm thinking that things like Hellfire Lash won't make another appearance in expansions that involve new mages, since items like that are mage specific and wouldn't make sense.  But maybe you'll get extra copies in the multi-player expansion?  Or in a future core spell tome?  

These are the questions that are preventing me from buying more product.  I will probably just hold off until they reveal what their plans are.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
understandable.  although i am picking up my second core set this weekend.  im sure lash of hellfire will be reprinted somewhere, the question is how patient are you?  it is not likely to be in a mage expansion and i have heard nothing official on a release date for a new spell tome

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »
Since this has not been responded to officially yet I am posting a request in the MODs forum.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
Thank you sir  :side:

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=1473
Thank you sir  :side:

Thank me with Karma.  :P some how I started the week at 15 and ended up at 0.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
Done  :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
Thanks  :cheer:

BTW 300th post

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Thanks Shadow!  Great questions guys.

Mage wars was made from the ground up by gamers for gamers.  We did not want to be collectible, and wanted to be a very affordable game for everyone.  We truly do not want players having to buy anything extra.  And, if you do, we want to make it efficient and affordable.

We realize there is a growing demand for more copies of some of the cards.  We are working hard on the best, most practical solution.  Let me give you some background information, and then please comment and give us your opinion.

When we designed the Core Spell Tome we put a copy of 104 unique spells in there, with only 6 duplications of very common spells.  

The main game has 322 spells, of which 174 are unique.  This means the Core Spell Tome does not contain 70 of the main game spells.  

Because cards are printed in sheets of 110, we could only include 110 cards total. The choices were extremely tough!  In the end, we chose to not duplicate anything Legendary or Epic, as well as some of the bigger more expensive spells, and also many equipment items, of which you could only have 1 in play at a time.  Extra Fireball or extra Staff of Asyra?!

Here are a few solutions we are looking at, and we'd love your thoughts on this:

2nd Core Spell Tome
This new Core Spell Tome has the other 70 spells not included in the first tome (1 copy of each). Then, it would have 40 other spells, which would be duplicated by the first spell tome, and we would probably select additional copies of the most common spells to help beef those up better.
In this manner, if you bought both tomes, you'd have an extra copy of every spell in the game, plus 2-3 copies of the most common cards.
If the demand is there, we could put this together and have it in stores in 6-8 weeks. Printing here in the USA really helps!  (Otherwise this product would be 3 months away.)

Single Spells Shop
We could setup a single spell shop on our website, allowing players to buy just the cards they need.  In order to cover the costs of the shop (with a physical location and labor to package orders) the cards would naturally cost more than if you bought 110 at a time in a Core Spell Tome.  However, the advantage would be you could buy just the ones you want/need and keep the total cost down.
This shop would more than likely take up to 3 months to setup - we'd be looking at January 2013.
As much as possible we want to sell through, work through, and support the game stores. We could sell huge spell packs to retailers who also want to establish a singles shop in their store, so they could do this affordably.  

Mage Booster Tome
We could produce a separate tome for each Mage.  This tome has all the spells that Mage would typically want to use, with lots of copies of the level one spells.  For example, the Warlock pack would ensure you'd have enough spells, so that with the main game, you'd have 4 Fireballs, 6 Flameblasts, 6 Firebarand Imps, and 2 Hellfire Lashes, etc.
Players could get everything they want and need for one Mage. The problem with this option is that there are 4 separate products here, which are a lot for players to purchase and collect, if they want to boost all the Mages.
Also, we are a little concerned that retailers may not want 4 separate SKUs on their shelves, which may make this an online only product.  This goes against our "sell through the retailer plan", but is still worth considering if the player demand is in this direction.
Like the 2nd Core Spell Tome, we could have these available in 6-8 weeks.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
that is a tough one.  i like all 3 ideas to be honest with you.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
Now you understand why I could not be more forthcoming about this. This is some of what we have been talking about for a few months now. Since about April / May. Even picking set cards was a tough call.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
Thank you very much for the indepth response Arcanus.  I really like how responsive the developers of this game have been thus far.  

As far as the options you presented go, it's a tough one, like Klaxas said, they are all good.  I think the 2nd Core Spell Tome is probably the most versitle and cost effective method for everyone, but I really like the idea of mage specific packs.  

My vote would be to go with the 2nd Core Spell Tome.  That way with two purchases beyond the base set you get duplicate copies of all spells in the game plus extras.  

By the way, I'm not sure why this is, but maybe you can answer this as well Arcanus.  I bought the Core Spell Tome from my local game store, but it cost $30.  I asked him why it cost so much, when it's only $20 online, and he said that he paid $20 from the distributor himself.  At first I thought it was just an online only product and the distributors were paying full price, but when I read your comment about your plan to "sell through the retailer" I was a bit confused.  Do you have any insight on why there is such a cost difference for that product between online sales and my local game store?

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
Arcanus - I am relieved that you guys realize your current marketing/packaging mechanic isn't up to what all players would desire.  As players, we realize that it may take some time to affordably get all the cards but, if we know it's in the works, waiting is a decent option.  

I would personally vote against an online singles store.  Every dollar I spend online is one less dollar I spend in my FLGS.  Who is promoting gaming in my area?  The FLGS promotes play and host events.  If I spend less money there then I feel like, as a player, I am ripping them off.  If there is something they can order (a new spell tome for instance) then I am more likely to buy it through them.

I think it's cool that you are looking at different ways to off set the cost for different players.  I think both a second spell tome (and third and so forth until you get everyone) and a mage specific tome are good ideas.  What I want, as a player, is a way to get all the cards I need to possibly build every deck without getting extras of cards I don't need.  As it stands now you printed 5 blocks in the base set and then 2 in the Spell Tome.  There is already one card I own that I have no use for.  

Is it more economical for you as a company to squeeze all of Dark Magic(as an example) in to one package?  I am fairly new to the game so I am not positive on all the distributions of cards through out the sets and how many are missing from each school of magic in order to make completely full sets.

Williams

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
I'm for the second core tome. No for singles. I think the guiding thought should be that if I buy all three of the products: base, first, and second, I can make all four Mage decks. Or, at least 90+% without changing cards around.