May 15, 2024, 02:06:23 PM

Author Topic: Necro Melee Beatdown  (Read 9627 times)

orion87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Necro Melee Beatdown
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]3 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j18]2 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x  Armory[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c32]2 x  Skeletal Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC14]3 x  Skeletal Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC15]6 x  Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]2 x  Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x  Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC11]1 x  Ravenous Ghoul[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]2 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]2 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ09]2 x  Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x  Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x  Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]2 x  Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI05]1 x  Unholy Resurgence[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Take 1.0 of my Necro melee beatdown
I liked the idea of throwing around curses, wailing on stuff, and having libro spawning skeletons in combat.
Skeletons instead of zombies because they can guard.

Not sure about having both libro and the battleforge... any suggestions would be welcome.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Necro Melee Beatdown
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
No deathshroud staff?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

orion87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
The build revolves around sectarus, deathshroud staff doesn't really fit.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

The build revolves around sectarus, deathshroud staff doesn't really fit.

Why and how does it revolve around sectarus? It looks more like it revolves around the libro plus having a melee weapon. Why does it have to be sectarus?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
Well he's got a couple of decent curses and no serseryx to pay them with. I for one don't really like the staff much. Now whether or not he should be using curses thusly isn't really the question. To your point though sailor I would bet that dropping one sectarus for a morning star might do better against many mages and creatures like force masters or Cerverre, and many of the knights and holy creatures with defenses you're likely to run into.

Another point is that I don't think you've got enough armor to be in the face and punching for a while, you may consider more leathers or a rhino hide. The Necro isn't built to be a melee mage, so he needs a bit more support

Give it a try. What kind of openers are you thinking about?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
Orion! Making a Necromancer Beatdown book is awesome! Personally I love Deathshroud Staff.  The main reason is because with Akiro's Favor out it is much easier to gain the rot. Generally if you get the rot off on the enemy mage, you gain a ton of tempo. The Necromancer isn't the typical do a lot of dice with one melee attack, rather in my experience with melee necromancer he does a decent hit with the staff and a guaranteed 2 damage during upkeep (with rot and plaguemaster). Since his plaguemaster works against EVERY creature that has a poison token on it (for 1 mana each) you can swing a lot of damage during upkeep. Personally I run one with a few deathshroud staffs, but maybe the things I've learned can translate to yours! Sectarus is generally considered a difficult book to create even when making a AC Warlock. So you'll have to choose your curses wisely!

Attack Spells

I noticed that you have no attack spells. Daring. To be a solid melee mage right now you need ways of getting around armor, and defense. Also burst damage with your quick cast is always nice (especially since you have 4 actions to work with with your spawnpoints)

Acid Balls - you should add at least 2 Since you only have 2 Dissolves and Rust does only so much! I suggest going up to 3 or 4.

Surging Wave - I would suggest putting in 2. They are great against any creature with Defense. Usually Cervere or the Forcemaster is your best bet. It's also nice because it can cause daze after the slam (and may save you from an attack spell to the face).

If you want to burst damage throw in a hurl rock or boulder

Conjurations -
If you plan on summoning a creature a round I would suggest Mana Crystals! With Libro out you'll want to get constant use out of it. I like that you are going heavy into skeletons but zombies may also be appropriate for your kind of book (nothing wrong with mixing).

I would consider getting 2 Battle Forges - Generally the first gets destroyed but the second stays (let them waste their surging waves while you usually tie on actions (and hopefully spellbook points), and win the mana trade.

My suggestion is to remove the 2 Poison Gas Clouds. They seem awesome, but unless you get them in a very specific situation (like walling in a corner and poison gas cloud then melee them to death) it's not worth the spellbook points.

Keep a watch on the Armory. You may see it's tough to get out and have a competitive setup. It makes a lot of sense to put in a skeleton book, but very rarely do you have the mana to cast it (especially with a creature and a curse per round.

Creatures
- I like your layout so far. Here's some of the things I've don in my book and reasons why! Also some suggestions of things to remove

Skeletal Knight - I would trim this down to 2 or 1. They are great creatures but you can always eternal servant them to make them last.

Ravenous Ghoul - While he rocks, he is not appropriate for this build. It will either slow down your opening, or cause you to stutter in mid game. Also the spellbook points is much better spent buffing your libro creatures, or getting more curses!

Creatures to possibly add

[mwcard=DNC04]Grey Wraith[/mwcard] - I know it seems weird, but I've noticed with my melee necromancer that these guys rock! not only do you weak their stuff so they cant hurt you as much, but you also combo it with plague master! Since you're not running Deathshroud, you can utilize the 1 mana for 1 free damage a round with this guy! Usually I cast this right before melee, or right in the middle of it.

[mwcard=DNC09]Plague Zombie[/mwcard] - This guys is pretty important as an Eternal Servant when against swarms. It can usually add plenty of rots to allow for your plague master ability. While it is expensive, it's worth manipulating the board with it. If you can rot the enemy mage, you can usually grasp tempo and keep the lead on.

[mwcard=DNC19]Venomous Zombie[/mwcard] - Another great creature that can get the poison tokens out. Also they are good targets and usually soak up 2-3 hits before dying.

Enchantments

Depending on how your book looks it's hard to ajust what you have currently. This is something I haven't explored enough to give solid advice on. It may also be why people are having a hard time giving you suggestions on the book.

Maybe an Akiro's favor to make sure you melee can always do damage. I like the 2 rusts. You will probably need 2 Bear Strength in case the first gets dispelled.

You should definitely put in a Rhino Hide. If you're going into melee, you will get hit and you should armor up for the brunt of the damage.

Equipment I'm gonna assume you have academy (if you don't I am sorry)

Add in
Leather Chauses
Another Demonhide or Dragonscale armor
Add in Regrowth Belt or the Ironvine Belt

Incantations

I would suggest adding in another Dispel and Dissolve. Or put in a mage wand to get maximum use out of the ones you currently have.

The interesting part about the Necromancer is that he is the best mage to heal with. Since he has poison immunity he cannot have Poison Blood placed on him. So unless there is a deathlock or giant dragon out, you are always safe to heal. Drain Life, Drain Soul, and Minor heals (or even just heal) is very good to place on a Mage Wand since you'll have a quick cast and a melee action (this is veering towards when you are not using the Libro).

I hope this helps! Please let me know how you book works out for you! I would love to see a proper Sectarus Necromancer :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:20:57 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »
Equipment I'm gonna assume you have academy (if you don't I am sorry)

Still not able to buy it.  :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
If you're set on Sectarus, I feel you need [mwcard=MWBG1E02]Plagued[/mwcard].  Won't work on the enemy mage directly, but a great thing to tag an enemy "buddy" or Mage with, as it won't affect you or your skeletons but it will affect your opponent's mage and creatures (outside a mirror match).  Seems like a no-brainer when pairing the Necromancer and Sectarus.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:56:50 PM by iNano78 »

orion87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback. I'll run through the book and make some changes when I get the chance.

Unfortunately my academy and battlegrounds boxes haven't arrived yet, being in Australia everything comes out a little slower.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback. I'll run through the book and make some changes when I get the chance.

Unfortunately my academy and battlegrounds boxes haven't arrived yet, being in Australia everything comes out a little slower.

To be honest the only thing you would want from Academy is pants! With the belt I would actually reccommend putting in 2-3 Veterans Belts. If they save you 1-2 damage a round (usually saves more then that) they are worth more then the regenerate.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
I toyed with similar idea myself. My first thought was to have two forges in play to get full equip quickly. I had bats in book but switched to zombie.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Nekróś[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNW02]3 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]2 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]2 x Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]2 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J18]1 x Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C23]1 x Malacoda[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C32]2 x Skeletal Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC15]4 x Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC09]1 x Plague Zombie[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWBG1E02]1 x Plagued[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE02]2 x Rise Again[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]2 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]2 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]1 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E23]1 x Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]3 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ09]2 x Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI08]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI07]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I08]1 x Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]2 x Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

If you're set on Sectarus, I feel you need Plagued.  Won't work on the enemy mage directly, but a great thing to tag an enemy "buddy" with, as it won't affect you or your skeletons but it will affect your opponent's mage and creatures (outside a mirror match).  Seems like a no-brainer when pairing the Necromancer and Sectarus.
Why it won't work on enemy mage?
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
Its a non mage spell
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »
If you're set on Sectarus, I feel you need Plagued.  Won't work on the enemy mage directly, but a great thing to tag an enemy "buddy" with, as it won't affect you or your skeletons but it will affect your opponent's mage and creatures (outside a mirror match).  Seems like a no-brainer when pairing the Necromancer and Sectarus.
Why it won't work on enemy mage?

No reason. I should have checked the card before posting, as I mistakenly thought the target was "Non-mage corporeal creature."
[mwcard=MWBG1E02]Plagued[/mwcard]

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:13 PM »

Still not able to buy it.  :'(

Is it not in stores yet? i have 3 copies...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
nope not in stores yet. Maybe I could order it online and pay tons of transport costs, but I don't want to do that.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.