May 05, 2024, 12:41:35 PM

Author Topic: Apprentice Mode Lv3: Final Exam Mode  (Read 2274 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Apprentice Mode Lv3: Final Exam Mode
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
This format uses the full ability cards aside from the stats (which are the same as in Apprentice Mode Lv2), 3x3 arena and a shared card pool for spellbook building. If analysis paralysis is a worry, limit the size of the card pool to 2, 1, or 0 expansions and the core set.

Only 1-2 copies of any spell can be included in a spellbook.

The less skilled/newer apprentice player is always first to build their spellbook.

1. The less-skilled/newer apprentice player chooses their mage and builds a custom 60-pt spellbook.

2. The more-skilled/not as new apprentice player Chooses their mage and builds a custom 60-pt spellbook.

3. Play.

This format is meant to help newer players to delve into spellbook building and begin experimenting with different mages and strategies in a shorter and easier format, while also familiarizing them with more of the cards in the game.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:10:55 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Mode Lv3: Final Exam Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
I think there needs to be restrictions on the spells they can use in spellbook construction. Putting 4 walls in your book in preparation for playing in a 2x3 arena will result in a very aggravating game as your opponent can not get to you. Combine with an Archers Tower or flying creatuers with Range (might I suggest an Eagle Winged Gorgon Archer) and good game.

I have played a variant based on the OCTGN apprentice mode where we use a 3x3 arena and limit spells to 2 copies each in our books. This allows the use of conjurations without much trouble, since some mages need conjurations to really get a feel for the mage. The more severe limit on copies of spells also helps with analysis paralysis during game play.

You may come up with other solutions to the issues.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Mode Lv3: Final Exam Mode
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Yes you're right I'll change it thx
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.