May 14, 2024, 11:42:30 PM

Author Topic: Favorite aspect?  (Read 6665 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite aspect?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 07:31:45 AM »
The reason I play the game is to have fun with my friends.  My favorite aspect of the game is that it possesses strong female characters within a wonderful wonderfully constructed game.  I also like the fact that it is not a ln overpriced CCG that requires you to dump $200 a month to remain competitive, that it is not a miniatures game that charges $5 for a $0.10 piece of plastic, and that it is relatively balanced (even though there are better and worse Mages against my play style).

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »
-> the quality of the strategy/tactical game
-> time with the friend i play
-> building time

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
two man enters, one man leaves :)

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
I like the spatial aspects of the game play - it's essentially miniatures skirmish game, that uses a board and cards instead of minis and a table.

I also enjoy the bookbuilding and customisation aspect - I love spending countless hours, tuning and optimising books.

Jock McFistpunch

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »
I too like the spacial aspect.  I play a minis game on a regular basis, but this game takes the card game aspect and mashes it together.  I get the tactical movement aspect (no! I'm one zone to far away!) and the casting fun (traps and creatures and walls, oh my!) without having to measure distances all the time with a tape measure.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
It's fantasy chess to me. It's why I hate rush strategies. I like the idea of building up an army, equipping myself and my friends, and then finding the best way through defenses and the cat and mouse game.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
Favourite aspects include:

- how well the theme is tied to the mechanics (complain all you want about the number of conditions, etc, but no other game makes as much thematic sense to me as MW in terms of what a condition ability does in game mechanics vs what it's supposed to represent)

- no luck-of-the-draw (e.g. spell books replace shuffled decks)

- no uncertain resource system (e.g. no "lands"; predictability of resources; can save mana or spend mana, but aside from some small unknowns like Mana Siphon getting dropped on you, or Essence Drain, or whatever, you can usually predict with reasonable certainty whether or not you can cast your spell this turn/next turn or by turn 7/8/9)

- Dice. In general, I'd much rather have uncertainty come up in the power of an attack or whether an effect triggers or a defense works than on luck-of-the-draw in when I get mana or a powerful threat or a needed counter to an opposing threat.

- Balance, including skill to luck ratio. A good experienced player will generally win against a weaker inexperienced player, but there is some chance that an upset can occur. Also, there are good and bad match-ups between mages, but player skill and outguessing your opponent at a key moment, or even a good/bad dice roll, can still flip the balance, and allow you to pull out a win in a bad match-up.

- The game outside the game. I enjoy building books, just like I enjoyed building MtG decks. The difference is that a MW book is much more likely to play the way I expect than the luck-of-the-draw of a MtG deck, which might work as intended 1/4 of the time (at best).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 03:21:55 AM »
iNano78 that's exactly what it is for me, too. it really feels.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
The other aspect I love? The community. I've met some cool people playing this game. Made some good friends doing it too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.