May 15, 2024, 04:15:13 PM

Author Topic: Siege weapon speculation  (Read 10667 times)

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Siege weapon speculation
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »
Having just seen the Batista I've been thinking that AW will come out with many more siege weapons and possibly mobile siege conjurations.
This page is also for discussing uses for the siege weapon already out or known to come. (I wouldn't be surprised if the Batista came out in SvP.)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Siege weapon speculation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »

This one?

Or that one? :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:10:54 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
this one

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
All 3 are equally lethal  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
My speculation is:
Arrow cart: 4 dice 7+ bleed unavoidable 1-2 AoE inderect, load, a friendly creature may use a full action to push the Arrow cart to an adjacent zone , mid mana, low armor, low life may not be place in a zone with another arrow cart
Catapult: 7 dice unavoidable 2-3, load high mana, mid armor, mid life zone exclusive
Ram: 2 dice + 6 dice against conjurations unavoidable melee,  a friendly creature may use a full action to push the ram to an adjacent zone, low mana, high armor, low life may not be placed in a zone with another ram
Raised platform: Zone exclusive epic, you may place one siege weapon on this conjuration, the siege weapon gains inderect and increases maximum range by 1
Siege yard: epic zone exclusive, allows you to place three siege weapons in this zone regardless to restrictions.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
My especulation is that if ballista is realeased ( i pray not) would be legendary and epic, at least. If ballista comes as is now, the game end. First turn, two ballistas, second turn, 3 ballista and fireballs....a very boring game, would win the player that had initiative first turn.

If A. W realese a Machine siege, would be very carefull with his attack range, and dice of damage.

I test ballista with my friends and it was very boring, both players with 4 ballistas in book. No spawnpoints lives more than 2 turns and that´s constructions are esentialls in this game, and battle forge it´s destroyed too, remember piercing 3 of ballista.

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
Fog bank right in front, or use the assorted counter cards exp. earthquake

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
I really want an old-timey cannon.  It could use Fuse counters, with more Fuse counters giving it more dice for its attack.  Your opponent could reset or reduce the Fuse counters with a Water attack spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
After speaking to some play-testers, Ballista may never be released. It's very powerful and they can not agree on how to fix it.

There are a few other promos which names are slipping me are in a similar situation.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
After speaking to some play-testers, Ballista may never be released. It's very powerful and they can not agree on how to fix it.

There are a few other promos which names are slipping me are in a similar situation.

Have they tried decreasing the firing rate? i.e. instead of firing every other turn, just require it to have 3 load tokens to fire.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:54:19 AM »
The damage or the rate of fire is not the problem, it's the hitpoints and the armor. With 6Hp and armor 1 for the same mana cost, the ballista would be killable by a normal melee attack and a fireblast (mana investment 5) or a hurl boulder in die quickcast phase before it can fire (mana investment 8).
No one wants to throw spells at something cheap/heavy armored like the ballista is now and make a big mana loss.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:26 AM »
The damage or the rate of fire is not the problem, it's the hitpoints and the armor. With 6Hp and armor 1 for the same mana cost, the ballista would be killable by a normal melee attack and a fireblast (mana investment 5) or a hurl boulder in die quickcast phase before it can fire (mana investment 8).
No one wants to throw spells at something cheap/heavy armored like the ballista is now and make a big mana loss.

Erh... The damage is obviously part of the problem just as the fire rate is. Its a matter of balance.
If it required 4 load tokens (and came into play with3) and had a 3 dice +1 pierce attack then this spell would worthless for its cost with same toughness (hp/armor).

A shot in the dark of balancing this beauty would be something like:
4 dice attack with 1 pierce Or 3 dice with 3 pierce.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »
Where is the problem with 2,5 dice per round, that can be evaded by just moving in the same zone?

The damage is really not the problem. It's the fact that the ballista is durable and cannot be destroyed easily.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 05:55:32 AM »
Where is the problem with 2,5 dice per round, that can be evaded by just moving in the same zone?

The damage is really not the problem. It's the fact that the ballista is durable and cannot be destroyed easily.

What kind of logic is that?

Disregarding mana cost, damage, mechanics and only focus on resilience?

So a creature with a 20 dice quick attack with 1 hp is balanced because its easy to kill?

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:31 AM »
All i'm saying is that the ballista is not unbalanced because it attacks with 5 dice piercing 3 every 2 rounds, but because of it's resilince that can most of the time garantee to absorb the damage from several rounds and actions.
To fix and release the ballista, the hitpoints and armor should be decreased, not the damage output, that is btw. not that strong.
If it would be a risk manawise to play the ballista (only one shot for 8 mana is not a good ratio at all), then it would be perfectly fine.