May 03, 2024, 10:03:18 PM

Author Topic: Goblin Builder aka Goblin Gardener  (Read 7824 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Goblin Builder aka Goblin Gardener
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
I am wondering how to exploit the goblin builders with a druid
they can heal the living conjurations
they can cast living conjurations into their zone
they can cast attack flowers which can attack immediately

I'm thinking the treebond will be a Lifetree since i need less from spawnpoints, and th elifetree will keep the gardeners alive.

Don't have them leave a zone till it has at least a zone exclusive, and a seedling pod

I'm pretty sure a cantrip-ed seedling pod is stuck in the discard pile if the goblin builder who prepared the spell is destroyed. confirmation?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:49:05 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Builder aka Goblin Gardener
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Yes, the Seedling Pod will be sent to the discard pile if the Goblin Builder is destroyed before casting it.

Chapter 5 "Spells" has a section on Familiars. It says in part "... if your Familiar is destroyed before it casts the spell you assigned to it, the spell is also destroyed."
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:06 PM »
The spell is destroyed, so sent to discard pile and cantrip says if spell is sent to discard pile, it is put back in your spellbook instead, so no, the cantripped pod is not lost.

The only thing that prevent a cantrip spell to return to your spellbook is if the spell is Oblitared.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:44:51 PM by Wildhorn »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
The spell isn't destroyed. it is "discarded" which means destroyed without any destruction effects such as cantrip or decoy's mana gain. At least thats what i got from the last time i read the big "seeking dispel a decoy" thread. don't even try to understand it. it makes my head hurt.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
The spell isn't destroyed. it is "discarded" which means destroyed without any destruction effects such as cantrip or decoy's mana gain. At least thats what i got from the last time i read the big "seeking dispel a decoy" thread. don't even try to understand it. it makes my head hurt.

Huh? If you Seeking Dispel a Decoy you gain the 2 mana. It is even in the Codex Supplement:

If Decoy is destroyed while still unrevealed (e.g. by a Seeking Dispel), its controller still gains the 2 mana.

It is when it is planned by a familiar or if it get Nullified that you do not gain the mana because the Decoy was not Casted and Resolved.

About Cantrip from the Codex Supplement:
Some effects replace being discarded such as Cantrip or Obliterate.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Ugh, this thread is not supposed to be about that one rule, so this is the last reply in which i will reference it. I hope everyone else follows my lead(by not digging futher into the rule). Here we go...

I was referencing how the seedling pod would be discarded and i thought that discarded meant that cantrip does not take effect.

Mage_Wars_Complete_Codex.pdf
"Cantrip (Object Trait)
Whenever this spell is destroyed or discarded, return it to the
owner’s spellbook instead of their discard pile."

so regardless of whether is it discarded or destroyed, it goes back in the spellbook. I remembered it wrong, just like i thought i might have.

this is the bit on what discarded means:
Mage_Wars_Official_Rules_and_Codex_Supplement
"Cards can also be discarded without being destroyed, such as... if you plan a spell to be cast by an
object and then that object gets destroyed."

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »
The seedling pods only gain the Cantrip ability if you have the [mwcard=DNJ09]Samara Tree[/mwcard] in play.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
The seedling pods only gain the Cantrip ability if you have the [mwcard=DNJ09]Samara Tree[/mwcard] in play.

Of course.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »
On the topic of your original idea I can only see it being good if you are somehow getting a lot of benefit from non-vine plants. If you are just casting vines a vine tree would be much more effective and I have rarely felt the need to plant two things in a turn.

It is interesting that he can repair your tree which is otherwise very hard to do. He could make it much harder to kill, so if you have some reason to have Mohktari as your tree bond then a builder or two could protect it quite well, but I don't see them actually playing a lot of plants down.

This would be an extremely defensive build, probably the druid never leave her starting zone and builds a pit?