May 14, 2024, 08:19:12 AM

Author Topic: How to make a shortened game?  (Read 3129 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How to make a shortened game?
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »
I was thinking of possible ways to play a condensed game of Mage Wars when you don't have time for a full game. What I'm thinking is lowering life and spellbook points depending on the approximate desired game length.

A full game tends to be somewhere about 60-90 minutes.

Subtract 10 life and 40 spellbook points from all Mages to make a game about 30-60 minutes. Or you could subtract 20 life and 80 spellbook points from all Mages to make a game that's 30 min or less.

What do you think?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a shortened game?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
I was thinking of possible ways to play a condensed game of Mage Wars when you don't have time for a full game. What I'm thinking is lowering life and spellbook points depending on the approximate desired game length.

A full game tends to be somewhere about 60-90 minutes.

Subtract 10 life and 40 spellbook points from all Mages to make a game about 30-60 minutes. Or you could subtract 20 life and 80 spellbook points from all Mages to make a game that's 30 min or less.

What do you think?

Sounds like trying to take a NASCAR race car and putting it on a drag strip and expecting it to win against a top fuel dragster....both have pretty livery and go very fast but they are not the same what so ever.

I would recommend a 60 minute game clock each player gets 30 minutes of play time, each uses a timer to keep track and allow only 2-3 minutes per round including planning. Use tourney rules to determine winner if need be.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
I suppose I could always try apprentice mode level two when I'm short on time...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »
even if you went out to five minutes (on a 60 minutes game), that is 12 rounds and should land you in the ball park of finishing the game within the time limit. For a 30 minute game 2 minutes would get you 15 rounds and 3 minutes would get you 10 rounds.

Obviously you can say x number of rounds and then use tourney rules  and set the timers accordingly....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest