May 07, 2024, 11:23:58 PM

Author Topic: Walls and extendable questions  (Read 5699 times)

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Walls and extendable questions
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
If a mage has 25 mana can they cast a wall of fire for 7 points the cast a second for 9 and then a third for another 9 or does it have to stop with the second?  How close does the placement of the second wall have to be to the first?

Hedge

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Walls and extendable questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »
if i remember correctly, you have to stop at the second one and it has to be played connecting to the first one (ie extending) it.  both zones have to be in range and LOS
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

1unatic

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »
Hi Hedge,

To be clear, you may only extend a wall once with the same cast action.  i.e.  You may cast 1 or 2 walls.

From the rulebook:
"The second wall must be placed as a continuation of the first wall, either in a straight line or bending around a corner. Both walls must be in range and LoS as normal."

I drew a picture to help visualize the situation:

[attachment=39]WallPlacement.png[/attachment]
Red Line:  The first wall that was cast.
Green Lines:  Potential placements for the second wall to be cast.
M = Casting mage.

Hope this helps!

staypufty

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »
Can Wall of Fire be melee'd? I know it's incorporeal and that we must follow the only 1's hit rule, but it does not state in the rules that it has to be a ranged or ethereal attack only. Also, when the wall is attacked does it get a counterstrike? I mean if you punch a wall of fire you should get burned right?

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
Any wall can be attacked with a melee attack. For Wall of Fire, as you noted, incorporeal rules apply.

WoF has no inherent counter-strike. If it did, there would be a notation after its quick strike attack.

Hope this helps.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
Quote from: "Tllmdjd" post=1606
Any wall can be attacked with a melee attack. For Wall of Fire, as you noted, incorporeal rules apply.

WoF has no inherent counter-strike. If it did, there would be a notation after its quick strike attack.

Hope this helps.

Correct.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Moodiz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
@1unatic:
in your picture you draw to green lines (potential second walls) pointing to the right side. Wouldn't these two walls be out of LoS the moment the first wall (red) has been placed?
Or does it count to have LoS to both spots you like to place the walls on the moment you declare casting the first one of them? Then it would be OK the way you draw it.

I would think the first wall blocks LoS and therefore you better start with one of these two walls and make the red one (in your picture) the second/extended.

Am I right with this?

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:16 AM »
Quote from: "Moodiz" post=7932
@1unatic:
in your picture you draw to green lines (potential second walls) pointing to the right side. Wouldn't these two walls be out of LoS the moment the first wall (red) has been placed?
Or does it count to have LoS to both spots you like to place the walls on the moment you declare casting the first one of them? Then it would be OK the way you draw it.

I would think the first wall blocks LoS and therefore you better start with one of these two walls and make the red one (in your picture) the second/extended.

Am I right with this?

Extending happens during the first part of Spell order,Step 1.Cast Spell. Then there is Step 2. Counter Spell, and last Step 3. Resolve Spell. The wall has not been resolved while the second wall is being cast,(extended) and therefor does not block Line Of Sight. Hope that helps.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Moodiz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 02:08:30 AM »
It does! Thanks :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
Good answer Darth.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage