May 08, 2024, 08:35:17 AM

Author Topic: Reverse Attack Question  (Read 3421 times)

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Reverse Attack Question
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
When reverse Attack is used how do you determine how many dice are used? Which characters bonuses to the attack are used to determine the number of Dice?

Hedge

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Attack Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
we played that the attacking creature's dice are used.  The exact number of dice the attack would have used if successful are used for the redirect.  The only modifier to this would be the +/- Damage trait.  So let's say my creature X attacks your creature Y with a fast action attack with 5 dice.  It's a lighting attack so I have the lighting ring and get +1 red die.  You are lighting -2, taking away 2 dice, and thus giving me a result of 4 on a successful attack.  Once I attack though, you flip your reverse attack card and so the attack comes back at me.  It's still 5 base +1 for the ring, but since I don't have any bonuses or negatives against lightening myself, you know roll 6 dice against me instead of four.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
Quote from: "Nitz" post=1806
we played that the attacking creature's dice are used.  The exact number of dice the attack would have used if successful are used for the redirect.  The only modifier to this would be the +/- Damage trait.  So let's say my creature X attacks your creature Y with a fast action attack with 5 dice.  It's a lighting attack so I have the lighting ring and get +1 red die.  You are lighting -2, taking away 2 dice, and thus giving me a result of 4 on a successful attack.  Once I attack though, you flip your reverse attack card and so the attack comes back at me.  It's still 5 base +1 for the ring, but since I don't have any bonuses or negatives against lightening myself, you know roll 6 dice against me instead of four.

Reverse Attack does not change the source of the attack just the controller.

Lets look at Reverse Attack.

When this creature is attacked, you must reveal Reverse Attack during the Avoid Attack Step. Redirect
the attack back to the attacker, who now becomes the target. You become the controller of that attack. Then, destroy Reverse Attack. If the attack is Unavoidable, destroy Reverse Attack without effect.

So what nitz said would be correct.
I hope that helps.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
Hey all.  Sorry if this is an obvious question but I was wondering about how Reverse Attack works with Damage Barriers.  I just picked the game up last week and have played twice with my son trying to learn the rules.

As I understand it, the original Melee attack would target the caster with the Damage Barrier then the Reverse Attack would kick in during the Avoid Attack Step, so the attacker would roll their dice against themselves.  Then the Damage Barrier would kick in and you would make that attack as well.  Is that correct or does the attacker have to actually roll against the caster with the Barrier?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
@ OP:
The attacker has decided on what attack he wishes to use during step 1.
So if he uses a full attack from the grizzly then the grizzly will attack itself with 7dice +1pierce if facing a reverse attack. - there is no option to change it to a quick attack if full attack was picked in the first place.

So basicly the attack is defined during step 1. But the amount rolled is decided during step 3 (roll dice).
Now + and - modifiers are added and whatever traits the original target has is irrelevant because its neither the defender nor the attacker.
And if the grizzly had bear strength and divine protection it would get +2 melee and -1 melee vs itself for a total of 8 dice +1pierce.

@blackirish
Unsuccessful attacks does not trigger damage barrier.

such as:
Forcefield, succesful defense from defender, fail daze check from the attacker.

Block, and Revese attack are the same.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
@blackirish
Unsuccessful attacks does not trigger damage barrier.

such as:
Forcefield, succesful defense from defender, fail daze check from the attacker.

Block, and Revese attack are the same.

Cool. Thanks Jack.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
This thread had not been responded to since 06 October 2012

Your question was not about the OP.

Please start a new thread next time.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage