May 02, 2024, 09:44:26 AM

Author Topic: Mage Block formats  (Read 2653 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Block formats
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Inspired by the Dude's online league format, I've come up with more limited-card pool variants.

Mage Block formats are similar to Set Block formats. A Mage block format is a variant in which only a particular set of mages are legal.

Here are some hopefully good examples of Four-Mage Block formats:

1. All core mages (pick only one element for wizard)

2. Arraxian Warlock, Priestess, Necromancer,  Forcemaster

3. Johktari Beastmaster, Anvil throne warlord, Air wizard, malakai priest
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Mage Block formats
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »
Inspired by the Dude's online league format, I've come up with more limited-card pool variants.

Mage Block formats are similar to Set Block formats. A Mage block format is a variant in which only a particular set of mages are legal.

Here are some hopefully good examples of Four-Mage Block formats:

1. All core mages (pick only one element for wizard)

2. Arraxian Warlock, Priestess, Necromancer,  Forcemaster

3. Johktari Beastmaster, Anvil throne warlord, Air wizard, malakai priest

Neat idea, with an element of "minor leagues" and "big leagues" to keep mages on par (regarding perceived "strong mages" and "weak mages").  But I don't think Air Wizard belongs with those other mages - especially if he throws in some mana denial, since low channeling is at least part of the problem for each of those other mages (especially if the Wizard turtles to prevent an early kill by an aggressive J-Beast or M-Priest). In other words, knowing what he's up against means a Wizard has the easiest time planning to directly counter 3 other known mages with limited strategies, even if he's limited to one elemental school.

Perhaps one "block" could be the 4 Wizards (?).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Block formats
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:34:44 AM »
Tbh I am quite skeptical that the lower channeling is a fatal weakness. Mage Wars was playtested for at least a few years before its original release in 2012, and 9-channeling mages have been here since the beginning. Notice how the Arraxian Crown Warlock is able to compete just fine with the Necromancer, forcemaster and the priestess. I suppose some people might argue that it's because the dark and fire schools are stronger than the holy school, and mind has a lot of upkeep. Not sure how they'd explain the Necromancer matchup though.

Wizard only block? That sounds kind of boring. Maybe when the wizard becomes more fun to play and play against, I'll add that one.

They weren't meant as minor and major leagues. They were just two examples.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.