May 02, 2024, 04:08:31 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Arena: League of Legends format but without League of Legends  (Read 2996 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Basically the same as the undying mages variant of Domination mode, except for the following:

The objective is to destroy the enemy v'tallia orb by raising its damage stat until it's equal to or greater than the orb's life stat. Each v'tallia orb is a conjuration and has 10 life x the number of friendly mages.  V'tar points are accumulated from v'tal orbs just like v'tar orbs, but they cannot win you the game. Each player or team has a v'talia orb in a predetermined location, usually near their starting zone(s). There are also v'tal orbs spread across the arena at certain intervals with several sslaks guarding them. You cannot move into or past a zone with a v'tal orb if you have not destroyed the v'tal orb before it. So if you pass through a zone with a v'tal orb and want to move in to attack the next one instead, you won't be able to.

V'tal orbs are conjurations with 1 life, cannot be targeted by a ranged attack, and any amount of damage is enough to destroy them. When you destroy a v'tal orb every mage on your team either gains 2 mana, loses 2 damage, or gains 1 mana and loses 1 damage. Then every upkeep afterwards one mage on the team loses 1 damage or gains 1 mana.

The shape and size of the arena depends on the number of players on each side. In a five player game, you will want 3 lanes, each lane being 2-3 zones wide and about 10 zones long, excluding the team "base" area/respawning points.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:25:50 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Arena: League of Legends format but without League of Legends
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
Just saw this now. The idea of a League of Legends Mage Wars setup is interesting, though it'd be kinda strange being turned based. You could have Goblin Grunts and Slingers or something traveling down the lane that scale as the game goes on and implement a Creep Score mechanic.

I don't really think a 5v5 game would work well though, since, unlike a real-time computer game, Mage Wars requires everyone to wait for others to act. Most of what makes League fun are mechanics and quick reaction strategy. Still, the idea of Mages grouping to kill Kralthor (Baron) for a buff is hilariously cool.

Seems like your idea isn't attempting to bring those other aspects in, just the turrets and nexus, but it's interesting to think about what would happen if you took it even further xD
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:48:45 PM by Erebus »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Arena: League of Legends format but without League of Legends
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
Yeah. Now that domination is out though, I came up with something better. Instead of making a v'talia orb with it's own life stat, just increase the number of sslaks guarding each orb, or increase the number of enemy orbs, and whoever gets all the enemy orbs first wins.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15890.0
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.