May 02, 2024, 08:42:41 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Academy: Alumni mode  (Read 3572 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Academy: Alumni mode
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
So after giving it some thought, I realized that the suggestion I posted here:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15597.0

might work just fine with spells and mage abilities that either already exist or will be released soon. If that is the case, then there probably wouldn't be enough for Arcane Wonders to make a battlegrounds expansion of it UNLESS they included the format in an expansion with another variant, like how multiplayer and team play was refined and included in the domination set.

Couldn't think of a better name for it. "Apprentice" is kind of already taken, and I didn't want this format getting confused with it.

So I'm thinking I'll take a page out of zuberi's book and start making an earlier version of this format a bit early, in order to gauge interest and maybe get it tested at least a bit, so that if and when Arcane Wonders decides to produce it, they will already have something to go off of, much like how they designed the official team play rules after zuberi's lifebonded format.

I mean, now that I think of it, if they put this in ANY expansion, it probably will make the most sense putting it with the first academy expansion coming out later this year, and since they're already so far in it's production, doing this will save them some time that they may or may not need, just in case they decide to go forward with it. The format I am about to present here IS essentially just apprentice mode, but with a few major rules tweaks to make it both customizable and balanced, so that it can be more awesome and fit for organized play.

So without further ado, here are the rules:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Mage Wars Academy
Alumni mode[/spellbookname]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Rules[/spellclass]

1. Only academy spells and level 1 arena spells
are allowed.

2. Use academy mages only.

3. The arena is 2x3 zones.

4. For the first two rounds, all creatures and conjurations
are treated like they have the unmovable, anchored and
restrained traits, and all objects and zones are treated like
they have the obscured trait, with the following exceptions:
-Objects that would not otherwise have the unmovable trait
can still be pushed against walls.
-Objects that would not otherwise have the anchored trait
can still be teleported into a zone they are already in.
-All objects have line of sight to their controller's starting
zone and zones adjacent to it, as well as any objects in
those zones, unless line of sight would otherwise be
blocked. The actual obscured trait still works as normal.
-Objects that would not otherwise be restrained can still
gain the flying trait and do not lose the flying trait if they
have it already.
-Vine markers cannot be placed more than 1 zone away
from their mage's starting zone.

These effects only last for the first two rounds, and end at
the start of round 3.
[/spells][/spellbook]

I hope you like this variant! I'm hoping it will be a sort of stepping stone between Academy and Arena that still functions as it's own standalone game. You could technically play Alumni mode and never have to play academy or regular arena. It's shorter and slightly simpler than arena, but longer and with more depth than academy. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments about it here!

Enjoy!

EDIT: only academy mages are allowed, and only academy spells and level 1 arena spells are allowed. I reviewed over the level 2+ arena spells and they seemed OP in this format, and so do the regular mage abilities. 60 point spellbooks is likely too many points since arena spells level 2+ aren't allowed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:08:22 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars: Apprentice Arena
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
After testing this once, I realized that it's vulnerable to hate-strategies. It looks like the ability cards that come with each mage are too powerful for apprentice mode. Designing a deck around it with only 60 spellbook points just ends up making a regular spellbook with some missing cards. This format needs different mage ability cards. Also, some cards, like Thunderbolt, are overpowered. Not sure what to do about those.

UPDATE: Figured out what to do. Edited original post.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:57:03 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.