May 01, 2024, 09:01:42 PM

Author Topic: Spells you would like to see  (Read 292689 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spells you would like to see
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
Some of the core concepts of MTG cards cant be ignored. Like counter spells or direct damage spells but even these were not new ideas at the time they got made. Most of what Richard Garfield came up with was based off his roleplaying sessions with his college friends. The version of these concepts that appear in Mage Wars have have more to do with RPGs than any TCG. I agree that card should not be copied but some of the ideas for what makes a card fun or good should be considered. When making new cards. I know Bryan has a binder of cards he has been working on for some time now. I would like one day for Bryan to show me that binder :whistle: .

My 100th Post.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
i agree we should look outside the scope of magic. mage wars has new and more complex mechanics than magic allowing for more diverse decisions and things that wernt possible (or were cumbersome) under the magic ruleset would be easy to implement in mage wars.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Proof

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
What about spells with a delayed casting time? Like over several turns? Your mage uses their full action to begin casting, and they place the card in the zone with one or more “delay” counters on it. And each upkeep you remove a counter, and when the last counter is removed, the spell finishes. So you could summon very powerful creatures that are so strong that they take a couple rounds to get gated in, or a spell that has arena wide effects when it resolves.
And the trick is when these spells are started, if the mage casting it receives damage, the spell is cancelled and discarded.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 03:09:25 AM »
I think there should be some spells that have a higher mana cost for mages outside the spell's schools (or for opposite schools). So apart from the usual higher spellbook building cost. Let's say some very powerful and flavorful healing spell for the priestess or something like Death Link for the Warlock. So let's not make them x mage only but simply higher mana cost for other mages.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 03:09:47 AM »
great idea but canceling the spell on any damage might make it too hard to get off.  maybe you have to pay mana for each delay counter thats removed.

Proof

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
Are there going to be any dragons in this game?

I think each of the schools should have a dragon avatar that embodies their schools principals.

A holy dragon that heals, an undead dragon for dark, a sky dragon for air etc...

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
The rules state that you can cast equipment spells on other mages as well as on yourself, provided that the other mage does not already have an item in that equipment slot. This gave me an idea; cursed items.

Cursed items are cast like any other equipment spell, but they bestow negative effects upon the target mage who cannot simply remove them by casting an equipment spell of their own that uses the same item slot. Insted, the mage has to cast Dissolve or something similar to destroy the cursed item.

Some examples of cursed items could be:

(cursed boots): Wearer becomes Slow.

(cursed chest piece): Gives no armour bonus and wearer gains the Finite Life trait.

(cursed chest piece): Gives no armour bonus and wearer gains Lightning +2. (Other types could give other vulnerabilities.)

(cursed amulet): Gives the wearer Channeling -1.

(cursed amulet): Enchantments that have been cast on the wearer gain Magebind +2. (Except curses, which gain Magebind -2 instead.)

(cursed gloves): Whenever the wearer makes a non-spell ranged or melee attack, gives a chance for attack to miss.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »
Quote from: "Skunkstrype" post=554
The rules state that you can cast equipment spells on other mages as well as on yourself, provided that the other mage does not already have an item in that equipment slot. This gave me an idea; cursed items.

Cursed items are cast like any other equipment spell, but they bestow negative effects upon the target mage who cannot simply remove them by casting an equipment spell of their own that uses the same item slot. Insted, the mage has to cast Dissolve or something similar to destroy the cursed item.

Some examples of cursed items could be:

(cursed boots): Wearer becomes Slow.

(cursed chest piece): Gives no armour bonus and wearer gains the Finite Life trait.

(cursed chest piece): Gives no armour bonus and wearer gains Lightning +2. (Other types could give other vulnerabilities.)

(cursed amulet): Gives the wearer Channeling -1.

(cursed amulet): Enchantments that have been cast on the wearer gain Magebind +2. (Except curses, which gain Magebind -2 instead.)

(cursed gloves): Whenever the wearer makes a non-spell ranged or melee attack, gives a chance for attack to miss.

I remember talking about casting equips on other mages. The reason behind this is in team play you may want to be an equip heavy book helping out your team. Your book would include things like Battleforge in order to ramp up the number of equips you can make each turn. I thought about cursed items back when we were doing brainstorming sessions.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
Unfettered growth.  nature (not sure level)  plant based nature spell, maybe druid only.

conjuration.  chaneling 1.  life 5, armor 0.  zone exclusive, flame +2.   during delployment (upkeep?)  unfettered growth may spend 3 mana to place a growth token in a zone adjacent to unfettered growth or adjacent to a growth token, as long as an unbroken line of tokens can be traced from unfetterd growth to the newly placed token.

growth tokens have life 3 armor 0.  enemy non flying creatures in a zone with unfettered growth or a growth token are hindered.  

note as elusive only works vs creatures, elusive creatures would still be hindered.
also only enemy creatures are affected

T_Hess

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 05:23:49 AM »
I think it would be cool to see creatures that can take on effects of other spells.....For example
Say you summon a creature and pass it through a fire wall it should be able to now pass on Burn to players and creatures when it attacks. But I came up with an idea for a Mage as well while thinking about this so I'm a post it in mages. XD

Havelock

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
This game is often compared to Magic: the Gathering. Since creature in MW seems hard to kill, it would be awesome to see some dark spells (unless they exist already) like Diabolic Edict (Target Player sacrifices a creature) or Terror (Destroy target non-legendary, non-dark creature. It can't be regenerated).

I'm aware that I didn't play the game yet and maybe I'm completely wrong, but these would be super awesome.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
sll good ideas.  an idea i came up with at the con for the time mage.  a quick spell to cast that allows target creature to take his full action

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
How about a spell that targets two creatures, and those creatures change place

or maybe a spell that clones a creature for a number of turns

(apologies  if these ideas are either already including the game or other have thought of them, im a UKer so haven't had a chance to get my own game yet)

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
Hi Scarob,
I really like the idea of a creature cloning another creature.  It would be great if there was a shape shifter that could pick the creature it was going to be until the end of the turn and be an exact duplicate.  Maybe it would pay the level of the creature it changes to in mana.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »
Hi Sparkytbg,
Or could choose to become a clone of a creature that has defeated in battle? Eats the unfortunate and gains their soul and form maybe,

as for the shapeshifter wondering if that could become a mage, though the gameplay for that would be very one dimensionaly......hehehe a wolf cast a lightning bolt XD