May 02, 2024, 12:53:09 AM

Author Topic: Spells you would like to see  (Read 292694 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spells you would like to see
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
I would like to get some work ups of these to test for the druid / necro set if possible
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
With regards to time control spells, how about an enchantment that encases a zone in a bubble of 'slow time'? Entering or leaving the zone would require a full action and any action taken within the zone would also require a full action. This would mean that mages would be unable to use their quickcast action within the zone as all spells there would require full actions.

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
Quagmire.
Enchantment.  School: Earth.  Target: Zone.
Corporeal non-Flying creatures require a full action to enter or leave this zone.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
very similar mechanic but the slow time would effect everything.  probibly for a higher cost and most likely a high upkeep
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:04 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=391
very similar mechanic but the slow time would effect everything.  probably for a higher cost and most likely a high upkeep

I had a few ideas that were close to this but they need some heavy playtesting. In-fact I don't even have a mock up version ready to go. I do love the idea of  "time Bending"
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Salvage. (Incantation)
Take a Nonliving Corporeal Conjuration from your discard pile and return it to your Spellbook.

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 04:32:51 AM »
Self-Destruct. (Enchantment) Target: Friendly Corporeal Nonliving Creature.
Turns the target creature into a walking bomb. When the Enchantment is revealed, the caster may destroy the creature to make an Unavoidable Zone Attack in the zone the creature occupied.

Alternatively, this could be a spell you could cast on a Nonliving Conjuration, when enemies start smashing up your Monolith or Idol or whatever, Boom!

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 04:53:32 AM »
Fortify. (Enchantment - Earth)
Target: Nonliving Corporeal Conjuration.
Imbues the target with the strengh of stone, increasing its armour.

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 05:03:36 AM »
One for the Druid.

Regrowth. (Incantation - Nature)

Heal target Plant the amount rolled on (x) attack dice.

(Note: Unlike Heal spells, this would work on plant Conjurations as well as plant creatures.)

Ayumi

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
How about a spell like Cruel Ultimatum?  A powerful creature spell card that packs a wallop but can backfire with serious to disastrous results.  There could also be a caveat limiter for anyone brave and foolish enough to use it Out of School!

Is there an Across Schools mechanism?  Seems that the schools are quite categorical, but for someone like the Priestess or a Necromancer when available.  It seems that the Cruel Ultimatum type of card would work very differently for the Priestess and the Necromancer.

Can't wait to receive my copy of the game, and appreciate this forum and the many great game demos available.  Boardgamegeek has been invaluable in introducing me to the game and for informing my decision to purchase.  Great gamers' site, friendly folk.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
So people know what Ayumi is talking about

Card Name:
Cruel Ultimatum
Converted Mana Cost: 7

Types: Sorcery
Card Text:
Target opponent sacrifices a creature, discards three cards, then loses 5 life. You return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand, draw three cards, then gain 5 life.

I feel a spell like this is possible but it would take a ton of playtesting to balance. I would most likely fit into the 8-10 level range. The real concern I have is does it fit into the flavor of Mage Wars

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
here is an idea for the elementalist mage i suggested on BGG

Elemental Conflageration.
School Earth-2 Air-2 Fire-2 Water-2 (yes level 8 spell)

high mana cost, probibly a slight upkeep too. range probibly 0-1 but you really dont want it in your zone.

not sure what spell catagory it would be... its an attack spell but it stays in play.

when cast zone attack unavoidable, 3 dice attack.  random elemental type (roll once for the entire attack 1-3 earth attack (whats the earth status effect?) 4-6 air (lightning damage causes stun) 7-9 Fire (causes burn) 10-12 water (whats the water status effect? frost?)

card stays in play.  if upkeep is payed roll a die  1-3 moves one zone north 4-6 East 7-9 South 10-12 West.  if attack would move out of the arena it instead stays in the same zone.  otherwise it moves every upkeep. after it moves it again attacks everything in the zone with a random elemental attack durring the upkeep phase.

what do you guys think?  probibly an elementalist only but who knows  it would be kinda costly for anyone else to add it to thier deck. i also see it as having the potential of backfireing since you pay the upkeep before rolling to see where it moves too.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Kring

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
How about Essence Scatter with a mana leveler? It would give players another negate card, but with some variety and a level.

Ayumi

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
Since we'll have a BOG QUEEN. might we have a creature something like a Mold Shambler?

A fungiform Komodo Dragon with a huge KICK that could also spew a huge black cloud of lethally toxic spores. :woohoo:

It could be a permanent remove, or a very high damage level.  Figuring the cost is tricky, but it has such power that if needs to be 'expensive' to use.

Imagine the possibilities for the art on such a nasty bugger.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
I'd rather see original spells than rehashes of MTG cards.