May 15, 2024, 03:32:29 PM

Author Topic: Spells you would like to see  (Read 292970 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Spells you would like to see
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »
Why would it be arcane meta-magic? Poison is Dark and the Cure is Light. Teleport is Arcane, why wouldn't it's counter be it's opposite.

I think, for the same reason Nullify is Arcane and Metamagic: it's magic that effects magic. If it was the sort of thing involving stabbing, bludgeoning, or skewering, War would be the right school. Or if it was a big guy with a big shield wearing Lightning +2 armor, War would be the right school.

But it's a defense against teleporting, and yes teleport is Arcane magic, but antimagic is Arcane, too: Nullify and Jinx,  as well as things like Mana Syphon. By giving Arcane metamagic, they made Arcane its own opposite.

Now, something themed like "Spiked Iron Boots to the Center of the Earth" might be war (or war+earth), so yeah, it depends somewhat how it's framed. But a personal Teleport Anchor Enchantment,  or a zone Enchantment are almost certainly metamagic because they're magic changing magic, and that makes them Arcane. At least to my mind.
On the other hand, Armor Ward is Holy and War, so not all antimagic is Arcane. I could very well be surprised!
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
If we are looking for fluff to explain a War school anti teleport option, how about

Van Grav's Field Generator

Conjuration. Non zone exclusive. Looks like a crazy van de Graaf generator from a physics lab. No teleporting into or out of the zone it is in.

Van Grav is an engineer who creates a series of steampunkish equipment.

Sniper rifles, clockwork gladiator, etc.

In fact, how about a Technomage who actually IS Van Grav? War plus Any one element perhaps? Opposite is Nature plus opposing element?

His spells could help out War?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:58:39 AM by Fentum »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
Hah! War &  Air, maybe. Neat.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
Kind of reminds me of an artifact in The Wheel of Time book series that when placed down on the ground and activated it prevents teleporting into or out of the area (creates kind of a force bubble/shield thing over the zoned in area).

Might be fun if it was a conjuration that you could activate or deactivate, maybe change that once per round so if your plans change and you want to teleport you can turn it off then do so.  Not back and forth same turn mind you, that would be too easy to exploit, but anyways just thinking out loud.  The whole thing is a cool concept card.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
Hmm, why there has to be a teleport negation magic? With air element, there could be some kind of "fata-morgana" or "Mirror" magic. If you target a mirrage instead of your own creature, you teleport nothing ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:55 AM »
Give the Warlord creatures that are immune or resistant to Magic (Enchantments and Incantations) and effects (upkeep conjuration and pay to move conjuration) from enemy mage(s).

Or to make it thematic give him some sort of Magic Ward Conjuration that gives all dwarfs 50% spell resistance. (effect die +7 and they negate the spell from an enemy.)

Or a new trait similar to magebind for creatures - The enemy has to channel X more mana into a spell in order to target a creature with this trait.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »
That would be cool.  Something like Magic Mirror.  Could be an Enchantment or maybe a shield/equipment slot.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:43 AM »
Jack, I like those!

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
Give the Warlord creatures that are immune or resistant to Magic (Enchantments and Incantations) and effects (upkeep conjuration and pay to move conjuration) from enemy mage(s).

Or to make it thematic give him some sort of Magic Ward Conjuration that gives all dwarfs 50% spell resistance. (effect die +7 and they negate the spell from an enemy.)

Or a new trait similar to magebind for creatures - The enemy has to channel X more mana into a spell in order to target a creature with this trait.

An ability similar to magebind would be a very powerful and simple way to simulate magic resistance without frustrating the strategy of the game too much. Great idea!

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
Don't Dwarves get some innate racial resistance to magic anyways?  Not full but like 50% or so?  Definitely would be a cool trait I agree.

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2013, 02:16:28 AM »
Incantation
Vine, Teleport
X, quick, 0-2, Living object & Zone, Arcane[2] & Nature[1]

Target object is Teleported to the target zone.
X = 3 mana + 3 mana per zone moved away from its current zone. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:20:17 AM by Hale_32bit »

Artemus Maximus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »
Sorry if it's been posted already, but it's at least a bubble idea:

angel w/ aegis 2. Maybe instead of flying (maimed wings)
 unavoidable or sweep giant hammer full attack
Weak but disorientating earth attack (hammer pound?)

Penguinus, earth angel.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
I know that Flying has been avoided being available for mage's maybe a single turn Levitate could be used on a Mage?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »
That could be cool - you could use it quite cleverly without it being overly powerful.  Pop up and fire a bolt over a wall, well, anything where LOS is needed. If you've got initiative QC levitate then fly 2 zones away from the land based enemies in your zone, quick and dirty escapes from a tanglevine or other entraping conjuration.

I know that Flying has been avoided being available for mage's maybe a single turn Levitate could be used on a Mage?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »
I don't think that you would be able to get out of Tanglevine or such as you loose and can not gain the flying trait. I was thinking that it would "be" the Flying without the ability to move. Think the walled kill box. All of those Golems down there and the mage floating up there.....zapping with Wand mit lightning bolt.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest