May 01, 2024, 09:29:28 PM

Author Topic: Spells you would like to see  (Read 292690 times)

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Spells you would like to see
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:59:36 AM »
Following the previous Subject, I thought it would be fun to see what new spells people would like in upcoming sets.

I am a big fan of area spells, so I thought it would be great for the air mage to have some kind of multi zone storm spell.  Maybe one that goes out from the mage in one direction until it reaches the end of the board.

I would also like to see the force mage have a spell to control their one of their opponent's creature for one turn.  And maybe be able to steal a spell out of the players hand and be able to cast it or make them discard it.  

I think it would be great to see an enchant world spell that only effects your creatures.  Maybe give all of your creatures flying until end of turn or protection from fire until end of turn.

I would like to see some kind of illusions that only last one turn maybe are reinforcements to can act that turn and then dissappears.

These are some of my top picks for new spells.  What are yours?

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spells you would like to see
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:14 AM »
I'd like to see a mind spell called something like slow time. It would be a mage only spell and probably with a high mana cost. You could either play it as a quick spell in your final quickcast phase when you had the initiative this turn, and the effect would be that in the next round you keep the initiative. You could also cast it as a full spell, in that case right after it you could do two additional actions. So the mage casts it, and two of his creature could move/attack.

I'd also like to see more fairy creatures (probably for the druid), some middle eastern creatures like, djinn, efrit, fire-snake, and some insect creatures including bees (maybe a bee-queen that reinforces the normal bee-s) and wasps.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
Quote from: "stadi" post=245
I'd like to see a mind spell called something like slow time. It would be a mage only spell and probably with a high mana cost. You could either play it as a quick spell in your final quickcast phase when you had the initiative this turn, and the effect would be that in the next round you keep the initiative. You could also cast it as a full spell, in that case right after it you could do two additional actions. So the mage casts it, and two of his creature could move/attack.

I had talked to Byran a few months back about something similar for a future release but we both agreed it would need some heavy testing. If all goes well you may see it by this time next year.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »
I would like to see a Repair spell (Incantation) you could cast to heal damage to Conjurations (Nonliving, Corporeal only) essentially 'glueing a damaged conjuration back together again'. (Of course in order to work, it would have to be able to ignore the Finite Life trait.) Perhaps it could also be used to heal damage to Nonliving creatures such as golems and skeletons.

I would also like to see a Rebuild spell (Incantation) which could be cast on a Conjuration (Nonliving, Corporeal only)that had just been destroyed, returning it to play in the same zone it occupied before it was destroyed. Essentially a Resurrection spell for Conjurations. Again, perhaps it could also be used to reasemble Nonliving creatures such as golems and skeletons.

A spell I would like to see for the Necromancer would be an Animate Dead spell (Incantation). You could cast it on a living Non-Legendary Non-Mage creature that had just been killed and return it to play under your control, giving it the Nonliving Trait.

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »
I would also like to see some insects.  There are all sorts that would be cool.  From bees, queen bees, to giant grass hoppers that can gain flying each turn they move, then lose it at the end of turn.  A bombardier beetle would be very cool with only a zone acid attack.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
Moved to the spells section.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
@Skunkstrype You may have stumbled on to a good way to " Reassemble " :whistle:  your non-living creatures.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:28 AM »
I'd really like to see how an undead spell book would look like. That could be pretty cool

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:19 AM »
If I'm correct the second mage expansion will be a Necromancer / Druid so I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot of undead spells.

1unatic

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
Sparkytbg:

I have been considering a number of shaped-area spells for our upcoming expansion.  I like this concept a lot as it adds a lot of dynamic tactics to positioning.

Basic Examples:
Yellow = Caster, Red = Affected

[attachment=21]AreaShapes.png[/attachment]

Temporary mind control:  This is something I have been extremely eager to give to the Mind school.  I am a bit worried a player could find a way to abuse it, though.  For instance, if you had one of these in your spellbook, then it might be a hard counter against high-level creatures.  Since summoning is a full action and creatures may not act on the turn they are summoned, then at the beginning of the following turn, the mage will always be vulnerable to its attack(s) – unless of course it was summoned unconventionally (Lair, Rouse the Beast, etc.).  So balance is a bit of a concern here and I have been looking into various ways to limit it.  Examples:  perhaps it will only work on damaged creatures, or maybe it is very expensive but becomes cheaper based on range (either being further from its controller or closer to an enemy mage could correlate to a cost reduction).

Stadi:

I like the idea of time control spells as well, and other users have voiced the same.  Simple things like keeping the initiative are very likely to be introduced into the Arcane school in the future.  I have my concerns, as Shad0w alluded to, with allowing the caster to receive multiple actions as it may become an abusive mechanic.  Yet, where there is a will, there is a way.

SkunkStrype:

We had undead and conjuration repair spells which bypassed Finite Life in earlier versions of the game.  As Shad0w mentioned, it was called “Reassemble”.  They didn’t make into the core set, but they are likely to return in some form or another in the future.

As for the “Rebuild” spell, this is an interesting idea I had not personally considered.  However, I’m not sure I am comfortable with the idea of it returning to the exact same zone, even though this would be realistic and not doing so would somewhat break the flavor of the spell.  This is because it would require players to remember each zone that every previously destroyed conjuration once belonged to for an arbitrary number of turns and could result in much confusion.  Nonetheless, it is a good concept and there are probably many alternatives as to how it could be implemented.

Animate Dead – I am certain the Necromancer will have spells similar to this, probably in the form of a limited resurrection (timed life, debilitated stats, Non-Living / Slow traits, etc.).

Love the ideas guys, keep ‘em coming!   :cheer:

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
Quote from: "Sparkytbg" post=249
I would also like to see some insects.  There are all sorts that would be cool.  From bees, queen bees, to giant grass hoppers that can gain flying each turn they move, then lose it at the end of turn.  A bombardier beetle would be very cool with only a zone acid attack.

What about a spider archer that can cause restrained, slow, and poison for damage? Most likely in nature school level 3-4.

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
I really like the idea of a creature slowing another creature down.  Great way to used ranged spells or weapons on a big creature.  Or slow down a swarm of small creature.  Would love to see a big spider with a multizone web attack.  Fun way to slow a few zones down.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
i think adding spider classes of creatures to the game (either nature or dark versions) is a great idea.  a spider themed beastmaster would be awsome.

also in regards to extra actions for the time spells, you could potentially give 1 or 2 extra activations in a row (for a high cost of course) but then your opponent would be allowed to do the same as time "caught up", essentially gaining the benifit of the spell for free.

the big problem here is when you have a mage with multiple creatures casting the time spell vs a mage without any creatures as they wouldnt have the available  extra actions to take.  unless it allowed your opponent to take multiple actions with the same creature (or mage)

it would of course all have to be playtested (hope i can help!) but those are some ideas to consider.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
I came up with a few ideas while think about spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider
I would wants this to be a lower damage attack that cause rot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapdoor_spider
Maybe a enchant that becomes a creature when turned face up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider
I was think a spider that could spend its full action to "jump" (counts as flying when moving) 3 spaces and attack 1 flying creature along its path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider
Prob would cause a daze or stun effect. Poison based damage.

1unatic

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Very cool ideas!   B)
I'll keep them all in mind.

We also had a spider in an earlier version that rolled an effect die upon biting a creature, and it had a chance to inflict sleep.  I personally thought this was a lot of fun and would like to see it return at some point.

Another possibility for a poisoned bite is a weakening strike that cumulatively stacks the Melee -1 trait with each successful effect die roll.