May 01, 2024, 07:22:03 PM

Author Topic: Togorath , a big fake?  (Read 25788 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Togorath , a big fake?
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
Hello i would like to know if you think tha togorath its bad or good.

I thing togorath it´s bad because he have the following problems:

-Cost too much 21 mana.- Grizzly bear less and less level and have in full action 7 dice with piercing.
-Have a good hability to guard but can´t counterstrike, which meaning that its a big bag of take punchs.
-Cant move and strike- better a zombie with resilient.

This would change, in my opinion if he could have a quick melee attack, but now i prefer pay for 2 raptor vines that are more effectively.

Your opinion?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Togorath , a big fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
I'll admit I've never seen him played. I've wondered this myself Isel.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
I rarely see him played, but when he is played he is devastating. He is expensive, but trust me when I say if he were any cheaper he would verge on being overpowered.
"See you space cowboy..."

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
i played him 2 times

-first he was target for a quicksand and die in 4 rounds, no teleporst left...
-second he was attacked by 2 zombies that put 5 tainted conditions on him, was a desaster, and he could´nt  kill any of them for the resilient trait, and only one attack.

I would prefer a conjuration

"totem keep of the woods"

Vigilant, intercept, regenerate 2, totem gain a guard token at the end of action phase.

I played togorath because me an my friends believe that he could counterstrike, but know none like playing too much, i prefer a Grizzly bear, cheaper and effectively or kralathor (it´s big an can reach flying creatures, togorath it´s big and don´t have reach xd)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
I'm not gonna lie I prefer Kralathor for my giant monster plant purposes too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
yeah, and i hope druid have a great disaventage becuase she uses normally the same plants because she have few to choose, i hope soon well see more plants or creatures that gain bonus for guard in his zone a plant .

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
i played him 2 times

-first he was target for a quicksand and die in 4 rounds, no teleporst left...
-second he was attacked by 2 zombies that put 5 tainted conditions on him, was a desaster, and he could´nt  kill any of them for the resilient trait, and only one attack.

I would prefer a conjuration

"totem keep of the woods"

Vigilant, intercept, regenerate 2, totem gain a guard token at the end of action phase.

I played togorath because me an my friends believe that he could counterstrike, but know none like playing too much, i prefer a Grizzly bear, cheaper and effectively or kralathor (it´s big an can reach flying creatures, togorath it´s big and don´t have reach xd)

Your example are useless... any creature would have died by that.

Togorath has Reach, I don't know why you say he doesnt.

Now, Togorath vs Grizzly:

Togorath will prevent a Hurl Boulder to crush your face because he has Vigilant. A Grizzly doesnt.
He can't be Force Pushed/Surging Waved away of your mage. A Grizzly would leave your mage defenseless.
He attack at 6 Dice + 50% chance of daze/stun. That is better than 7 Dice + Piercing 1.
He has 3 more hp, 1 less armor and Regenerate 2. He is harder to kill than a Bear.
He has Vigilant, which is better than a Bear guarding, here is why:

Bear either attack or guard. If it attacks, he can't guard, leaving your mage defenseless. If it guard, it doesnt attack unless it get attacked (but enemy could Knockdown, Force Push, etc making your bear wasted a whole turn).
Togorath attack BAM! Than it get on guard defending your mage. Yes it doesnt counterstrike, but it doesnt matter, it already attacked.

The only down side of Togorath is if the battlefield is moving, he can't move and attack. But if the battlefield is moving, than you should not use Togorath. He is made to defend and he is amazing at it.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
I rather have Kralathor or 2 raptor vines instead

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
That is EXACTLY what Togorah is for.   That is 5 Taint conditions (15 unhealable damage) and numerous attacks that did not get put on your mage or your life tree.  Togorah's job is to take damage.

The thing to remember about Toggy is that he is a purely defensive themed creature, so comparing him to another creature based on potential attack dice or attack opportunities is unfair.

Togorah's main role is to stand in a zone you want protected and catch projectiles, absorb attacks, and punch back at creatures who do try to go headlong into his zone. 

At 18 Health and 2 Armor with 2 Regenerate, he is really sturdy.   Give the zone he is standing in a Fortified Position or drop a Rhino Hide on him and he is going to stick around for a while.  (Since he Regenerates, Bull Endurance is bad on him either)

Fun Fact: During playtesting I was a big proponent of phrasing Druid's Treebond ability to include creatures so that she could tree bond with Togorah. 

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »
My problem with Togorah is that after casting it you no longer have the resources to go on the offensive (since Togorah is nearly useless on offense). By the time you have the mana to get back on the offensive Togorah is dead or nearly dead. It's like giving your opponent a couple of turns to build up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
By the way, is Togorah a level 6 or 7 creature? For a long time the card art for it on octgn said level 7 and now it says 6. Which is right?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:08:20 PM »
Six.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
Torgorath defensive? i know, its better in defense, but.....cost 21, i prefer attack at begin, and when im in position of defend normally i havent 21 mana free, if togorath cost lest would be bette because with his intercept i could stop range attacks to my tree, but the problem it´s that if i cast my treebond in firt turn, its very easy in second turn than a warlock throw me 2 fireball (ask to redhawk) and torgorath its impossible to summoned before that, i read that in test treebond wil be in any creature plant, i hope this would be now, because druid would be more interesting, because now all players that i played, knows the 3 first turns of a druid  -tree-treebond- plant ... i hope this change soon.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
What I want to know is why they didn't reduce Togorah's power level in some other way than making it incompatible with tree bond. That's really crippling. I hope they'll make an alternate Druid at some point that can actually use Togorah effectively. Here's hoping that they make a short male Irish-ish Druid next March...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 04:11:13 AM »
I think Togorah is a good creature and appropriately priced. He is definitely geared towards defense, however. Given the aggressive tendencies that most people seem to have, he probably is being passed over a lot. However, in a defensive control build for the Druid he could be an awesome inclusion.