May 17, 2024, 07:53:27 PM

Author Topic: Johtari Blastmaster  (Read 7285 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Johtari Blastmaster
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »
Wanted to make a book to really take advantage of her +1 Ranged. Lair churns out cheap animals to slow things down, guard or even potentially do some damage taking advantage of wounded prey. Feel free to meditate if you need some mana (using your QC for a cheap attack). Fast + Mongoose Agility means I can always get 2 zones away from what I want to target and still attack. The idea would be to attack the enemy Mage ASAP, though flying creatures will probably have to be killed.  Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Attack
2 Acid Ball
Arc Lightning
Chain Lightning
2 Fireball
Firestorm
Flameblast
Force Hammer
Hurl Boulder
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Pillar of Light

Conjuration
Battleforge
Lair
2 Mana Flower
2 Tanglevine

Creatures
3 Bitterwood Fox
3 feral Bobcat
3 Thunderrift Falcon

Enchantment
2 Hawkeye
2 Mongoose Agility
2 Nullify

Equipment
Elemental Wand
Fireshaper Ring
Ivarium longbow
Leather Boots
Leather Gloves
Lightning Ring
Meditation Amulet
Regrowth Belt

Incantation
2 Call of the Wild
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
1 Seeking Dispel
2 Sniper Shot

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Johtari Blastmaster
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
-Right away, I see that you don't have any teleports. Unless you have a VERY good reason not to, having 2 is basically the minimum needed.

-That's alot of fire spells that are costing triple. I understand trying to take advantage of her +1 ranged, but some of those could really be taken out to make room for the teleports you'll end up needing. I would bet you'll find yourself in need of teleports much more than all these attack spells.

I'm sure if I analyzed it I could find more things. This isn't necessarily the play style I'd try with her, but if you intend on doing it, definitely put in at least 2 teleports. That is what jumps out at me from a quick glance. Sorry I don't have more time to do a thorough look-through.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I feel like I don't really need teleports in this book. Since I am fast and elusive I can run 2 zones and still attack (twice). I have Nullify to keep from being teleported myself. I could lose a fireball and have 1 teleport with 2 points left over I suppose but is it really helpful to this book? I like the fire b/c fireshaper ring makes it hurt even more and Druids are popular around here.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:47:35 PM »
I feel like I don't really need teleports in this book. Since I am fast and elusive I can run 2 zones and still attack (twice). I have Nullify to keep from being teleported myself. I could lose a fireball and have 1 teleport with 2 points left over I suppose but is it really helpful to this book? I like the fire b/c fireshaper ring makes it hurt even more and Druids are popular around here.
Well it could get you out of a kill pit (they all don't have walls) during the first QC phase or let you move 4 zones in 1 rd and with Fast could be quite surprising...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
Her +1 Ranged doesnt work for spell attacks btw...

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Her +1 Ranged doesnt work for spell attacks btw...
Ah phooey you are correct. Still might be worth using her over wizard for this sort of thing just for her lair and cheap animals as well as fast. And I do have a bow.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
That's, that's a lot of attack spells. I love the idea of super offense but maybe consider taking a few of those fire spells out for some Teleports like was mentioned earlier. Also why not use the Hunting Bow over Ivarian? It kinda works for the J Beast Master a little better.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »
Thanks for the pointers guys! Although I am disappointed by the Archery skill not applying to attack skills, I still think this could be a viable book. Here's version 2.0

Attack
2 Acid Ball
Arc Lightning
Chain Lightning
2 Fireball
2 Flameblast
Force Hammer
Hurl Boulder
2 Lightning Bolt
Pillar of Light

Conjuration
Battleforge
Lair
Mana Flower
2 Tanglevine

Creatures
3 Bitterwood Fox
3 Feral Bobcat
3 Thunderrift Falcom

Enchantments
Harmonize
2 Hawkeye
2 Mongoose Agility
Nullify
Rhino Hide

Equipment
Elemental Wand
Fireshaper Ring
Ivarium Longbow
Leather Boots
Leather Gloves
Lightning Ring
Meditation Amulet
Regrowth Belt

Incantations
2 Call of the Wild
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
2 Sniper Shot
2 Teleport

So the plan would be: Scenario 1 I am facing a Mage likely to drop Mordok's and/or Suppression Orb (Forcemaster, Wizard???)

Turn 1: (19 mana) Battleforge (-8) Hawkeye revealed on self (-4)
Turn 2: (16 mana) Deploy Meditation Amulet (-3 plus mana from forge) Mana Flower (-5)
Turn 3: (17 mana) Deploy probably elemental wand or armor/regrowth belt if enemy is in my face and start blasting

Scenario 2: Mage doesn't look like they're going to control my mana: I drop Lair and Harmonize it turn 1, Turn 2 Mana Flower and Hawkeye, go from there.

The thing I dislike about this book is the conflict between Elemental Wand and the Bow. Can't have both and if I decide to swap between the 2 I am just wasting mana. BTW I am using the cheaper bow strictly to save mana and because I am not really counting on my creatures to do much other than delay the enemy mage and maybe guard me.

Ok thanks again for the comments. Cheers 

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
I'd take out some more attack spells and add eagle claw boots, a few more tanglevines, maybe a few mangler caltrops or spiked pits, and all the bloodspine walls you can carry (because you can shoot through them). Fast is great, but you can't move and shoot, so board control is your friend.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »
Hawk eye is -3 not -4 but your numbers are correct.

Why meditation amulet? If you meditate, you cannot shoot :) I would insert more tangelvines and stranglevines. When you shoot, you didnt cast spells so mana should be no problem :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:29:22 AM by Boocheck »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )