May 01, 2024, 10:19:19 PM

Author Topic: Mages that you would like to see in the game  (Read 316221 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mages that you would like to see in the game
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:36 AM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=4862
A few ideas come to mind

I think theres room for things like:

Lycanthrope:  Has ability/cost/trigger to toggle form.. wolfing out drastically altering mana and spell acess but becoming much more melee/health oriented, or even fully out of control.

"Monk/Jedi"- I use the term loosly, but inspired by a "jedi" style concept.. based around iconic style magic weapon that can deflect/redirect ranged attacks and cut through armor and such as obviously influenced by Lightsabers.  To further reinforce the Jedi feel, the deck/archtype would have basic recreations of "force" powers but could choose to be light or dark (holy/dark) for its other spell types (ie jedi/sith) at deck creation.  (much like the mage selects his element)

Vampire Lord: Count Dracula, Strahd, etc.  You get the idea.

A Lich style concept where the mage himself is invincible but his "weakness" is contained in a zone or conjuration or something on the board, and he loses if that is destroyed.

Dragon Lord:  Who doesnt love Dragons?

Reaver:  Gets more powerful as his health total gets lower and lower

Spell Theif/Doppleganger: works off of or immitates the opponents abilities and spells.

Elemental: Not an elementalist, but literally a Fire/Water/Earth/Air/nature/stone/Etc elemental. (slected at creation)

Ninja: Stealth mechanic of being able to play creatures face down like hidden enchantments, to turn himself facedown to "hide" use sneak attacks and subterfuge and neat ninja magics ala shinobi.  Lightfooted quick fighting mage with neat caltrop traps, smoke bombs,and ninja flavored equipment

Bard: charms and enthalls other creatures, etc.

Martyr/Guardian: based around taking damage and redirecting to himself on behalf of his minions to keep his creatures in the game doing things for him, rather than the traditional angle of creatures defending for the mage.

Other more traditional archtypes include:
Illusionist,  pretty self explainatory.  Illusions and trickery based

Enchanter, again self explainatory focuses on enchanting things

Artificer,  builder.. works heavily through crafted goods (equpiment) and things like golems and clockwork minions

You are not the only one to come up with the idea of a Ninja/Assassin, but that sounds awesome to me! I know in most games I play (especially fantasy games) I always choose the stealthy character build. They could do something like you get a detection marker, with one side that has "hidden" and another that has "detected" to keep track of whether you are hidden or not. Perhaps you could even have something like a Defense but for detection. For example, say you have a Sneak "Defense" of 7+. This would mean the target you are sneaking up on would have to roll a 7 or higher to detect you. Otherwise, you get to do extra damage or something. If something like that happened, I would be stoked!
"See you space cowboy..."

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=7895
You are not the only one to come up with the idea of a Ninja/Assassin, but that sounds awesome to me! I know in most games I play (especially fantasy games) I always choose the stealthy character build. They could do something like you get a detection marker, with one side that has "hidden" and another that has "detected" to keep track of whether you are hidden or not. Perhaps you could even have something like a Defense but for detection. For example, say you have a Sneak "Defense" of 7+. This would mean the target you are sneaking up on would have to roll a 7 or higher to detect you. Otherwise, you get to do extra damage or something. If something like that happened, I would be stoked!

In the new Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion there is the Invisible Stalker, a creature with the new Invisible trait.  It gets an Invisible marker with two sides, one side it is Invisible and the other side it isn't.

Doctor taco

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blood mage
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
To quote Liz Lemon. " I want to go to there."

I love the idea.
Heck make him or her a vampire or sucubus.
Let them drain life to gain health.

Just no sparkling.

codermike

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
I was thinking of a Corsair that is trained in Water and War. Capable of summoning deep sea creatures. Spawnpoint could be a ship.

Or maybe a Vampire trained in Dark and Mind. Light on the creatures but able to heal by doing crit damage. This Mage would possibly fit in a with a mechanic I've been thinking about where you can place a ready action marker of your own on an inactive creature if you hit it. Imagine the frustration caused by your opponent not wanting to use their creatures that are closest to you in case you turn them. You could remove the action marker during the next reset or leave it there for further hilarity :)

I also thought it'd be interesting to combine two of the minor schools to get some "adepts":

Air + Water - Typhoon/Storm Adept
Fire + Earth - Magma/Lava Adept
Fire + Water - Steam/Geyser Adept
Earth + Water - Mud/Swamp Adept
Air + Fire - ??
Air + Earth - ??

Finally, what about a mage who is themselves a construct/conjuration of some kind. A golem with no master. It could be triple for Nature school but trained in Arcane and War.

knutenez

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
YES! Dragonlord. He could have dragon creatures that make him more powerful. Possibly a dragon he could ride.

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
How about a mage like:

Diviner / Seer. Trained in arcane school only, battle spells cost triple.

Special powers include the ability to flip through his opponents' spellbooks before the start of the game, and the ability to look at all of his opponents' prepared spells, bound spells, and face-down enchantments.

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:08 AM »
I have tons of ideas for mages. I'll probably type up an idea once every couple weeks or so. My first idea is a Dragon Knight, mostly inspired by a certain Fantasy video game series.

Dragoon - War (except creatures) and Fire are x1, Water is x3, everything else is x2. All dragons are x1 regardless of element.
A mage that can fight on his own. Most of his power comes from his equipment and the aid of his dragons, powerful creatures that also serve as steeds. Creatures with the Steed attribute can protect the mage riding it (if he chooses to). Moreover, whenever the steed moves, the mage moves as well and it doesn't count as a move action on the mage's part (but dismounting does) and can also make a ranged attack or cast a spell while riding. The Dragoon possesses the special ability to "jump" off of a steed and make an attack mid-flight for a dice bonus. This means that the dragon can move, drop off the Dragoon that makes an attack, then the dragon can attack a different zone, basically you had two units make a quick action simultaneously. The Dragoon is also interesting in that his basic attack is 0-0 ranged, not melee.

Dragons are expensive, both in SP and mana. Optionally, the Dragoon can summon a dragon egg for much less mana and when it hatches, you can deploy any dragon you want for free. The catch is that they are very fragile and take a few turns to hatch. Dragons are very powerful, most have Fast, Flying, Steed, and even Familiar, since they can play Attack spells that correspond to their element.

His equipment is mostly attack-oriented. He has a non-exclusive lance that can give a mage 0-1 ranged. His Dragoneye Charm gives him the ability to counterstrike even with a ranged attack as long as his attack would normally hit the target. Normally when a flying steed is killed, the mage takes big damage from the fall, but with the Dragon Boots, our hero always makes a safe landing.

He has a few other tricks as well. The Dragon Soul enchantment gives the target a free counterstrike upon death. Painless turns all critical hits on the target into normal hits. High Jump is a cheap incantation that moves a target up to 2 spaces away and gives them an attack bonus (even higher against flyers). A particularly nasty move is Spirit Link, which can destroy a creature under your control and receive the mana back that you used to summon it.

reynath0087

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »
I like the concept of an assassin or a rogue like mage itself, but not don't really see the character being a ninja.  I could also see stealth being an easy to abuse mechanic unless its implemented very carefully.  Even the Invisible Stalker if used very strategically could wreak havoc because while he's invisible he cannot be targeted at all.  A mage with a similar talent would be problematic unless it were borderline prohibitively expensive to cast or was like the voltaic shield for the wizard, where you pay a small amount at the start of your turn to activate a dodge or parry marker that reduced damage of an attack.  I like the idea of the corrupter or even opposing talent mages, light/dark, fire/water, earth/air, arcane/war where you pick a focus like the wizard but have the opposite cost 3x as much.

MAXedOUT

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
I would love to see a Pyromancer: Fire & Mind schools. Tripple for Water and Air. Lots of Fire creatures
 and a Fire+Mid attack spell that can trigger Burning, Daze and even Stun at 11+!

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
War mage/alchemist.... and I want to see a paladin angel so bad!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »
Quote from: "padawanofthegames" post=9016
War mage/alchemist.... and I want to see a paladin angel so bad!

Not sure if the paladin will be an Angel or not, but the Paladin is comming soon.  That is confirmed.
Si vis pacem para bellum

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »
that's great to hear about the paladin.  It would be nice to have a healer that depends more on melee and attack and less on creatures.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
I would like to see a summoner. I have no idea what their school/s would be, but have it so they pay level cost for all creature spells regardless of school.

For the dark/holy mage, I'd like to see someone focused on life syphoning maybe even with an equilibrium spell (balance out the number of creatures/constructs/damage/mana)

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »
Frost Necromancer and Water Wizard and maybe a mage with no school of magic with guys that have no school too.
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=4910
I would like to see a Mage that had no Channelling value, or a very low one, and instead built up Mana by undoing other spells, items and creatures to cast its own spells. Lots of Mana Drain effects, traps to "capture and rend" creatures and Zone Exclusive items that drew Mana from other Mages, creatures with Channelling or from Spells being cast in the Zone.
Really like this: a very different sort of Mage, rather than just a different set of powers.

Another less-radical but still quite different build is a 'Sorcerer' class (based very vaguely on Pratchett's and D+D's sorcerers, who are natural mages to some degree. The core of this class would be having much fewer spellpoints to spend, but always being able to re-use spells: they get returned to your spellbook once used. For stay-in-play things, practicality might mean that you have to wait for the early ones to go before adding new ones, but you'd want them to focus on elemental stuff anyway.