May 19, 2024, 01:26:52 AM

Author Topic: Plants, Bleed and Bloodthirst.  (Read 5789 times)

Jibii

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Plants, Bleed and Bloodthirst.
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
Hey

I know that bleed doesn't work on plants since they have no blood... But what about bloodthirst?

Bloodthirst as the name says is thirst for Blood... and since plants don't have that... How does it work?

Sincerely Jonatan Aka Jibii (Denmark)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Plants, Bleed and Bloodthirst.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
From the codex:

"This creature is a savage predator with a lust for blood. This creature gains
+X attack dice when it makes a melee attack against a Living creature
with 1 or more damage."

So as long as it is living, and is a creature, then yes, bloodthirsty applies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:53:50 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
From the codex:

"This creature is a savage predator with a lust for blood. This creature gains
+X attack dice when it makes a melee attack against a Living creature
with 1 or more damage."

So as long as it is living, and is a creature, then yes, bloodthirsty applies.

Lord is correct  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Jibii

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
Yea I actually did know that the rules stated that... It is just that it doesn't make sense... When they made "Bleed" specific that way... Why isn't bloodthirst??

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
Ah yes. I've actually wondered that myself.

I would suspect it is because most (all?) plants have the "regeneration" trait, which would remove the bleed token during the upkeep phase.

Therefore, essentially, nothing would have happened (except their regen would be reduced by 1 for that upkeep).

That's just me speculating though, I don't know the true reasoning why.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:28:02 PM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Jibii

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
That would make sense.
Except if you make it finite life that cant be regenerated? (unless i have misunderstood something)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »

I would suspect it is because most (all?) plants have the "regeneration" trait, which would remove the bleed token during the upkeep phase.

Therefore, essentially, nothing would have happened (except their regen would be reduced by 1 for that upkeep).

Plants don't have Blood, so it's impossible for them to Bleed.

Bloodthirsty doesn't just refer to someone that literally wants to drink blood. It also refers to someone that is intent on killing or fixated on violence.

So it's plausible that a Bloodthirsty creature isn't worked up about seeing blood on a victim, but rather just seeing that the victim is injured.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

Plants don't have Blood, so it's impossible for them to Bleed.

Bloodthirsty doesn't just refer to someone that literally wants to drink blood. It also refers to someone that is intent on killing or fixated on violence.

So it's plausible that a Bloodthirsty creature isn't worked up about seeing blood on a victim, but rather just seeing that the victim is injured.

Bloodthirsty is a thematic mechanic it is based off killing intent and seeing weakness. Bleed is more about game mechanics over theme.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »
If there would be some Mushroom creatures in a future, would:
A: Bleed wording be changed, so it won't affect Fungi
B: Mushrooms would be Plants
C: Mushrooms would get an ability that they count as Plants
D: There would be a new trait Bloodless (and Plants would get it with an Errata)
E: Mushrooms would bleed
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
Probably B, just like the Giant Wolf Spider is an Insect not an Arthropod.  I agree with the designer's, we don't need to be scientifically accurate, grouping creature by theme is fine.  The rules are complicated enough. 

Maybe it would be a plant and fungi type.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
We don't have to be completely scientifically accurate, but I will still cringe a bit inside if there are any fungus conjurations. Fungi are biologically more similar to animals than plants, from what I understand. For instance, they do not use photosynthesis and they do sometimes eat meat. Of course for some reason we gave Fungi a special word for their eating: Decomposition, as if it was happening on its own and not part of the fungi digestion process.

They just *have* to all be rooted creatures and not conjurations. Many of them will be poisonous to the touch, or to those who destroy them. Many of them should have Decompose Devour. Maybe the poisonous to the touch thing could be represented by innate damage barriers, and other effects that would set off when the fungi is touched.

Having them be rooted creatures also makes more sense thematically IMO because then you can teleport those faerie summon circles that are made of fungus. You could also attach them to a fog bank or something to prevent an opposing non-flying creature from walking through it without taking a poison attack.

As for blood thirsty and plants...I wonder if it could also be referred to as "sap thirsty."
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
Bloodthirsty is a word that has nothing to do with blood, it simply means overly aggressive. Out for the kill.

I think fungi could be mobile. I see them as more mobile than plants actually. I really like the idea of it being common for them to have damage barriers or innate counterstrikes. I also think that they would be fine with the plant sub type.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
Bloodthirsty is a word that has nothing to do with blood, it simply means overly aggressive. Out for the kill.

I think fungi could be mobile. I see them as more mobile than plants actually. I really like the idea of it being common for them to have damage barriers or innate counterstrikes. I also think that they would be fine with the plant sub type.
Think about a bird with a broken wing, has nothing to do with bleeding, but it being damaged and therefore weaker and easier prey to take down as a result.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:59 AM »
Bloodthirsty.  eager for or marked by the shedding of blood, violence, or killing