May 16, 2024, 10:49:01 PM

Author Topic: How big is the community?  (Read 3520 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How big is the community?
« on: December 13, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
As I read pretty often at the moment, the mage wars community is growing big the last year or so. That is a sign that all effort is working and all you guys are doing a great job! The game is developing constantly and support from players is huge.

But how big is it?
How many players are addicted to mage wars on Octgn?
How many readers are i this forum?
How many players play in local groups on a regular basis?
Are mage wars players splitted 70% us and 30% europe?

Not so interesting for me is the question how many copies were sold. I guess many of them were hardly ever played for mw's complexity. Those “wrong birthday present“ ones.

Looking at counters on sharkbaits podcast or arcane duels on youtube the “nerd-group“ seems not that huge. Maybe 100 people. But on the other hand I have no comparison what huge means in a boardgame-universe. I don't have a player background. Mage wars is the first game that sucks me in so deep, and it's awesome :)

Now I'm just curious.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: How big is the community?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
BoardGameGeek has Arena listed with 1115 Fans and  8542 owners.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »
1) Dont forget Asia

2) FThis forum have 4208 registered members

3) Not all players activly visit BGG or update their status on boardgames they own

I would rather not dwell into this math problem. I will end up in excell sheets with demografy data, social layers etc.

My guess is 25k. 15k fully active and 500 from them are super elite fans.

Also, this forum states 4208 members ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:06:43 AM »
I'm hoping that Academy will bring in lapsed guys like me and new blood. Ideally not of the poisoned type...

Also, it would be lovely if OCTGN were available on Macs and iPad. Tabletopia looks to be quite nice too. Perhaps that route could work and increase the player base. Even if just for Academy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:10:23 AM by Fentum »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »
Are you talking about the Arcane Wonders Forum community? Or specifically the Mage Wars Community? Or the Mage Wars Arena community? Mage Wars overall has 4624 likes on Facebook, which is a lot more than Arcane Wonders has (1395 likes). Arena and Academy do not have separate facebook pages.

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't actually read the study yet, but wikipedia cited a 2014 study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research which "found that the 1% rule was consistent across four separate digital health social networks (support groups for problem drinking, depression, panic disorder, and smoking cessation). During the study period 63,990 users created 578,349 posts, but less than 25% of users made one or more posts. The applicability of the 1% rule was confirmed as Lurkers (90% of users), Contributors (9% of users), and Superusers (the 1%) accounted for a weighted average of 1.3% (n = 4668), 24.0% (n = 88,732), and 74.7% (n = 276,034) of all content.[6]"

So we have 4208 users on these forums, and over 4624 likes on facebook. On the Mage Wars forums you can read stuff that people post without an account, but in order to read facebook posts you have to have a facebook account. This makes sense with what wtcannonjr said:

BoardGameGeek has Arena listed with 1115 Fans and  8542 owners.

If over 4000 people like mage wars on facebook, and over 4000 are members of these forums, and over 8000 people own the game on boardgamegeek, then chances are that either those two 4000's are approximately the same population, in which case the remaining ~4000 BGG users are not or no longer mage wars fans and haven't updated their ownership status, or one of those two 4000+ populations includes more of the active members of our community and the other includes the less active members. This depends on what percentage of facebook users are lurkers there, what percentage of those lurkers actually click the like button for most or everything they like, how many facebook users update their liking status for things they no longer like and how frequently they do so, and how many users on boardgamegeek buy games that they end up not liking and not updating their owner status when they get rid of their copy of the game.

In light of the BGG statistic, I would suspect that there are actually a LOT more mage wars players in the world than we realize (since the majority of people who play mage wars probably don't have a BGG account) It still really depends on how many people play the game only casually or in real life who do not participate in the forums or who have BGG accounts but not facebook. I find it unlikely that ~50% of BGG users who buy the game end up not liking it. Therefore the actual number is probably significantly higher than facebook likes, bgg ownership or forum membership individually. Maybe if you add all three together that would be fairly close to the number of mage wars fans that exist and then subtract overlap.

So if there were no overlap between AW forum membership, MW facebook likes and MW ownership on BGG, and if there were no out of date MW facebook likes nor out of date MW ownership status on BGG, then we would have at least 17374 mage wars fans total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_(Internet_culture)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 12:54:20 PM »
Very interesting.

I'm on BGG every day, this forum every day now, though not in the past two years or so, and never on Facebook.

I guess I'm one of the slightly crazy 2.7%!

:o

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »
geneva-switzerland-europa.
i play with a friend (english version), i know another friend that plays with a friend (french + english version) and my son (8 years old) begins with the french version (+ a savage french translation of FM...FiF, etc.)... i'm not sure there's a lot of other players around here (more compicate than mtg and monopoly).

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
 889 players have downloaded the latest Mage Wars for OCTGN module. That doesn't tell me how many actually play or any other useful statistics.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest