May 01, 2024, 07:02:12 PM

Author Topic: Academy dice  (Read 3265 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Academy dice
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
I had a friend who attended Gen Con pick up Academy and Domination for me. I opened both last night and discovered that Academy didn't have any dice in the box despite the rules manual listing 6 (red) dice and a d12 among the components. He also got a few promo cards and a pack of 10 translucent blue mini dice and a yellow d12, which he believed to be promo items. Did anybody else get dice in the box? We're the blue dice and d12 promos or replacements/compensation for missing dice?

Also, the game comes with 3 copies of level 1 spells, 2 copies of most higher level spells, and 1 copy of Epic or "(Mage-type) only" cards... except for Lightning Raptor, which is a Unique level 2 creature that I only have 1 copy of (but have 2 copies of Legendary creatures, for instance). Is this normal or am I missing a Lightning Raptor? Or perhaps that creature was Epic or Wizard Only during development and its card count wasn't updated in its final version?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Academy dice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
Hey Nano,

The GenCon edition of Academy did not have the dice in it and was paired with the 10 translucent dice and one d12 free of charge.  I also have one Lightning Raptor in my set.  My guess is that the "unique" trait is what was the deciding factor in only printing one copy of the card.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
The Gen Con sets, did not have dice inside of them. Normally, you would get six of the smaller attack dice and one d12, we provided a pack of ten attack dice and a yellow d12 because we were not able to get dice packaged into the Gen Con copies.

Yes, you will only have one copy of Lightning Raptor, because it is unique. Generally speaking Legendary, Epic, and Unique cards will have only a single copy. There are exceptions, but that is the general rule.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »
Great, thanks. I have 2 core Arena sets, so I don't really need more dice. Just wanted to know if this was the norm or an anomaly, and if Arcane Wonders was aware. Too bad about only 1 Raptor; he's a neat bird that I might want more copies of. Looks like a good creature to play on turn 1 of either an Academy or Arena match.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:37 AM »
Too bad about only 1 Raptor; he's a neat bird that I might want more copies of. Looks like a good creature to play on turn 1 of either an Academy or Arena match.

Which is why I own a minimum 2 copies of everything.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
Too bad about only 1 Raptor; he's a neat bird that I might want more copies of. Looks like a good creature to play on turn 1 of either an Academy or Arena match.

Which is why I own a minimum 2 copies of everything.

Funny thing about that.  Having opened and now played the game, I posted elsewhere on the interwebz that Academy is a funny beast regarding how many copies you might "need":

- If you only intend to play Academy, then you only need 1 copy of (each) core set, as it comes with everything you need: 3 copies of each level 1 and generally 2 copies of each higher level spell; maybe more copies (?) for utility spells that both mages want multiple copies of (like Crumble = "new Dissolve" and [can't remember its name] = "new Dispel") although I can't recall off the top of my head.

- If you want to use Academy as an expansion to Arena, then you'll definitely want 2 copies of (each) core set, as you'll want 6 copies of many of the level 1 spells (e.g. Wychwood Hound, probably the Steelclaw Cubs, most of the Nature enchantments that buff Minor creatures, most of the Arcane enchantments too for that matter, etc), along with 4 copies of several of the higher level spells (and at least 2 copies of the Beastmaster's cowl and knife and boomerang and belt, etc, etc). 

There are MANY cards in Academy that I can't wait to play in Arena - like Slavorg (great late-game, especially if your Fox/Lynx/Hound/Falcon swarm got annihilated) and the Genie (terrific utility) and Lightning Raptor (good early game), etc.  Some of the spells don't even seem well-suited to Academy, like the other Legendary cat (leopard) - I can't remember his name off hand, but he's like a cheaper Cervere, but he still costs 11 to cast, which might be a bargain in Arena but is 2 rounds of channeling in Academy!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
There are MANY cards in Academy that I can't wait to play in Arena

It's all about the Bear Master - Da Cach Mike Ditka!

DA Bears DA Bears DA Bears DA Bears DA Bears DA Bears
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid