May 16, 2024, 11:10:11 PM

Author Topic: My only complaint about Conquest of Kumanjaro  (Read 7924 times)

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My only complaint about Conquest of Kumanjaro
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
4 Feral Bobcats in the Beastmistresses deck? Really? Who has that?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: My only complaint about Conquest of Kumanjaro
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
Makunda gives them piercing.

Not great but it's something

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
also,

Feral Bobcats have +2 Charge.

Beastmaster has a bow and Ranged +1, and fast.

Bobcats all get +2 Melee for running into the targets square and attacking. (and another +1 each if its wounded prey)

If the opponent, who is hindered, tries to chase the beast master (who is fast and keep kiting)  all of those bobcats will get another +2 attack dice each when they follow him into the next zone.
On the other hand, if the opponent stands in teh zone and tries to fight off the bobcats, you get to keep shooting with your hunting bow, which is getting an extra bleed chance and pierce because of the animal attacks.

Charge trait has a lot of synergy with a mobile or ranged mage, because in order to chase the mage you have to let the creatures keep getting their charge bonus.

---edit
Wait.. I just realized that  by "who has that?" you might mean, who physically has that in terms of copies of the cards.. since the core set only comes with 2.  (which means the alternate BM build would require having bought tomes or another core set.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:31:23 PM by baronzaltor »

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
So in another thread I asked about that 4 bobcat thing. It is a misprint. It should be 3 bobcats and 3 Falcons. Hope that helps.

Here i the thread it was mentioned in http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12601.0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:12:02 PM by DallasSooner87 »

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
Yep that actually answered it- I don't MIND 4 bob cats in the deck it just seemed like you'd have to buy an inordinate amount of stuff to HAVE them.

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 01:22:49 AM »
The biggest problem I have now is all of the recommended decks can't be made at the same time anymore. I have one of every card based expansion and am 18 cards short from all 8 decks being completed. I generally build decks but when I teach someone the game I either go with the apprentice mode or the full game with starter decks. Also it is easier to store the cards, for me at least, when these decks are put together. This is really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my frustration about Conquest of Kumanjaro.

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
Hey Dallas- I bought an extra core set just to have all 8 mages built at once. It was worth it IMO for the extra tokens, 2 boards for 4 player games, player sheets + cubes, 2 spell books to put the mages in, plus other customization.

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »
Hey Dallas- I bought an extra core set just to have all 8 mages built at once. It was worth it IMO for the extra tokens, 2 boards for 4 player games, player sheets + cubes, 2 spell books to put the mages in, plus other customization.

That is good. If I find a few more players in my area (as I no longer live in Dallas) I may consider it for the 4 player element. However, right now it just doesn't make sense for me to drop $40-$60 for 18 cards that I would like to have.

I honestly might have tweaked the new Beastmaster a little to minimize overlap. Swap out the timber wolves, gorilla and the Falcons for 2 Dire Wolves and Galador. With 2 spiders throwing webs everywhere I guess I don't see the need for the tanglevines, too. That would free up some points to  add the deflection boots with another level 1 spell, and give people a chance to try out the new cards, which is a good thing in my opinion. As far as the Bobcats are concerned, in a perfect world, I would have liked to have seen a low level lion card (lets say a cub) in CoK to have a pride of lions style thing similar to the dog pack. I understand why more cards weren't included, though.

Really, the majority of my disappointment stems from a false assumption that I would be able to build the prebuilts with what was included in Conquest if I already had the Core, FM v WL, and Core Spell Tomes 1 & 2. All that said, I love the game and got a 1 day pass to GenCon essentially to preorder the Necromancer Vs Druid expansion and see what else is going on at the convention. I guess I am venting because I want to see the game succeed; having people need to buy either 2-3 cosmetic expansions or another core set all together to make recommended decks just seems like an unnecessary hurdle to get there.

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Dallas,

I hear you. I was torn between an effective beginner book and keeping the cards so that you could make all the books at the same time. I will lean more towards the latter for Druid Vs Necro. Also I see and agree with your comments about the Tanglevines.

We look forward to seeing you in a month! If you are in the Indiana area, let me know and I will point you to the play groups I know of so you can get some games in.

John

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »
I really disagree with the OP.

I would much rather see more frequent, smaller expansions, than big ones where some cards are reprints just to satisfy those few people who "have to have all decks built at once without being 'forced' to buy multiple packs".

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »

I would much rather see more frequent, smaller expansions, than big ones where some cards are reprints just to satisfy those few people who "have to have all decks built at once without being 'forced' to buy multiple packs".

Those people aren't going to use the pre-built decks anyway. The pre-built decks are for the casuals, who are not going to have 4 bobcats which require 2 core sets or multiple of the same spell tome.

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »

Those people aren't going to use the pre-built decks anyway. The pre-built decks are for the casuals, who are not going to have 4 bobcats which require 2 core sets or multiple of the same spell tome.

Fair point, but will casuals buy the second expansion to a game?

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

Ok, fine. That is true.

I suggest just skipping the pre-built deck lists from now on then to not disappoint anyone. The core-set + FM&WL set should be more than enough to satisfy the casual gamers I think.

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »

Ok, fine. That is true.

I suggest just skipping the pre-built deck lists from now on then to not disappoint anyone. The core-set + FM&WL set should be more than enough to satisfy the casual gamers I think.

It doesn't have to be that adversarial an issue. Just make the new decks for people like this buildable with the basic set + xpacs. For someone who has bought one of every product not to be able to make a new pre-built deck is a little silly, and they have corrected their oversight. Case closed.