May 01, 2024, 09:37:02 PM

Author Topic: A question about "Turn to Stone"  (Read 4388 times)

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
A question about "Turn to Stone"
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:42 AM »
The spell Turn to Stone has the following  statement "You cannot reveal Turn to Stone during an action, such as an attack or spell." How is this different than five listed on page 19 of the rule book, summarized below?
1) at the end of any phase,
2) Immediately after a creature is activated,
3) immediately after a creature completes its move action, but before the quick action,
4) at the end of any of the eight steps of an attack or 3 steps of casting a spell
5) immediately after casting?

I believe it means once they announce the creature is making an attack or casting a spell it is too late to activate it, but it could be activated immediately after a creature is activated is this right?

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: A question about "Turn to Stone"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »
The way I interpret it is that you can reveal it at (1), (2), (3), (5), or at the end of any given action. Once an action is declared, you cannot reveal Turn to Stone until the action is over. So when your opponent casts an attack spell, all 3 steps of casting a spell and all 8 steps of performing an attack are counted as a single action. You could not reveal Turn to Stone between any of these 11 steps. However, you could reveal Turn to Stone between two distinct actions, such as between a move and an attack, or between a first move and a second move action.

Practically speaking, it's pretty common to see people start to move a card without actually flipping the action marker (technically illegal, but they intend to flip the marker at the end of their move). In this case it would be perfectly legitimate to flip Turn to Stone and prevent the action. Formally speaking, he should have flipped the activation marker first, which would have given you the chance to flip Turn to Stone BEFORE he had the chance to move anywhere.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
It is stated that way so you cannot "counter" the Damage and Effects step. Also, piousflea?!?! Your one of those dirty "after action action marker flippers!?!?!?!" For shame! :P
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
[strike]It must be revealed before that creature is activated or after its action phase is completed.[/strike]
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
I misread OP(I am full of fail lately......)

I think your missing the REAL issues here...and that is- Dirty after action action marker flippers!!
Within Shad0w.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=11292
[strike]It must be revealed before that creature is activated or after its action phase is completed.[/strike]

Shadow, an Action and an Action phase are two different things. With this statement you are saying that turned to stone cannot be revealed at all during the action phase, But that is not what the card says. Each of the things a character does during thier Action phase is a seperate action.  I can't flip the enchanment during the actions because that is what the card stated. I should however be able to flip the enchantment between any action during thier Action Phase.

Hedge

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »
Yeah....hedge is right....so I believe I was right in my previous statement as well.

Good catch Hedge!
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »
Quote from: "Hedge" post=11336
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=11292
[strike]It must be revealed before that creature is activated or after its action phase is completed[/strike].

Shadow, an Action and an Action phase are two different things. With this statement you are saying that turned to stone cannot be revealed at all during the action phase, But that is not what the card says. Each of the things a character does during thier Action phase is a seperate action.  I can't flip the enchanment during the actions because that is what the card stated. I should however be able to flip the enchantment between any action during thier Action Phase.

Hedge

I could have broken it down further but I am / was at work at the time you are correct in saying that after after it is activated but before the action is taken or between actions like between a move and a quick melee attack. Not during an action like an attack. I should have been more clear sorry I was in a meeting at the time. That is my fault. :oops:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
Dont be too down!!! This is the first ever misunderstanding I think you have ever posted. You are a rules God!
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: A question about \
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
I am not down just. Busy with a bunch of stuff and 85min to go at office.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:13:45 AM by Shad0w »

metadust

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: A question about \
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
Turn to stone seems like a fine situational card, I just wished that on top of all the armor it grants a creature it would give them vulnerability to stone or ethereal attacks. Some options to combo open stone creatures would be great, any reason why this isn't the case?